Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking at doing a course

Options
  • 29-12-2011 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at doing course in ny, Its a short course. Less than a year. I'v been told that there is now visa for doing a short course. Any way around this.

I've tried to find it in ireland but all leads end up saying the course is no longer going a head or is been reviewed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

If it is longer than a few weeks, you will need a F1 student visa. They are easy to get as long as you have the funds- keep in mind you can only work very limited hours on-campus with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

silja wrote: »
    If it is longer than a few weeks, you will need a F1 student visa. They are easy to get as long as you have the funds- keep in mind you can only work very limited hours on-campus with it.

As far as I know its 6 months long. Its a back to eduction course in health science drawing blood from people. I wish it was in ireland but sadly not.

What are the chances of staying in the states after doing the course and working.

How much funds you talking about. Is there no grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

If it is a back to work type course they may not accept foreigners, as it is designed to get US citizens and residents back to work. You'd need to contact the US college and ask- they need to supply you with the form I-20 for your visa application anyway. You should also check with the Irish Blood board (or maybe a hospital?) whether they would accept the training this foreign course offers for a job back in Ireland. Often in health jobs (nursing etc), foreign accreditation is not accepted or only after some "retraining".

Chances of staying and getting a job in the US if all you can do is draw blood is 0, sorry. Might be different if you were a fully licensed RN (Registered Nurse), but even for those there is a waiting list for visas.

The funds you need is the course fees plus living expenses- how much that is will depend a lot on where you will be living (New York is a lot more expensive than rural Arkansas...). I am not sure if there is a specific amount/ month you need for the F1 visa, but I would budget 1'000 euro/ month. As a foreign student you won't get any grants from the US for this sort of course. You could check with Irish organisations if they may give you one, especially if you are currently unemployed and this would give you a good chance of later finding a job in Ireland.

silja wrote: »
    If it is a back to work type course they may not accept foreigners, as it is designed to get US citizens and residents back to work. You'd need to contact the US college and ask- they need to supply you with the form I-20 for your visa application anyway. You should also check with the Irish Blood board (or maybe a hospital?) whether they would accept the training this foreign course offers for a job back in Ireland. Often in health jobs (nursing etc), foreign accreditation is not accepted or only after some "retraining".

Chances of staying and getting a job in the US if all you can do is draw blood is 0, sorry. Might be different if you were a fully licensed RN (Registered Nurse), but even for those there is a waiting list for visas.

The funds you need is the course fees plus living expenses- how much that is will depend a lot on where you will be living (New York is a lot more expensive than rural Arkansas...). I am not sure if there is a specific amount/ month you need for the F1 visa, but I would budget 1'000 euro/ month. As a foreign student you won't get any grants from the US for this sort of course. You could check with Irish organisations if they may give you one, especially if you are currently unemployed and this would give you a good chance of later finding a job in Ireland.

There loads of jobs going in the states for this kind of work. I have a cousin in new york and this is job working in a hospitial drawing blood. He too went to college just for this. He is not a nurse.

I do know that new York is very expensive but I have family I could stay with and they would help me if needed. I aint worried about the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

cena wrote: »
    There loads of jobs going in the states for this kind of work. I have a cousin in new york and this is job working in a hospitial drawing blood. He too went to college just for this. He is not a nurse.

I do know that new York is very expensive but I have family I could stay with and they would help me if needed. I aint worried about the money.

While there may be lots of jobs in the field, it's still not a job that would get you a visa to work there. It simply isn't specialized enough unfortunately. Also, I don't know if they always check, but, they may still require you to have a certain amount of cash to cover your stay - even if you plan on staying with family. And, as mentioned above, you should check if this course will accept non citizens, and whether an F visa would even be available for such a short term course. Though generally F visas are easy enough to get if you can afford to pay the college fees there.

• Advertisement

avalon68 wrote: »
    While there may be lots of jobs in the field, it's still not a job that would get you a visa to work there. It simply isn't specialized enough unfortunately. Also, I don't know if they always check, but, they may still require you to have a certain amount of cash to cover your stay - even if you plan on staying with family. And, as mentioned above, you should check if this course will accept non citizens, and whether an F visa would even be available for such a short term course. Though generally F visas are easy enough to get if you can afford to pay the college fees there.

New york is the only place I can see where there is a couse in this subject line of work and where i'v got family. just no sign of it on in Ireland.

I had emailed the college before christmas but got not thing back. Well email them again.

Thanks for the help

Advertisement