Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 8mb download spped sufficient for VOIP phone

• 29-12-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I am moving house from city to countryside. I can currently work from home as I have good internet speed with UPC. We use VOIP phones.

Eircom is really expensive as I have to pay for landline rental as well as the broadband.

I would like to get the 25mb bandwidth but cannot afford it so I was wondering if 8mb would be enought for VOIP?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

<1mbit is sufficient if nothing else is happening in the house, youtube, streaming etc. More important, what's your upload?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

darabbit wrote: »
    I am moving house from city to countryside. I can currently work from home as I have good internet speed with UPC. We use VOIP phones.

Eircom is really expensive as I have to pay for landline rental as well as the broadband.

I would like to get the 25mb bandwidth but cannot afford it so I was wondering if 8mb would be enought for VOIP?

its plenty. As said above 1MB broadband would be good enough

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

8MB is plenty, as mentioned above 1MB is even fine whats important though is also your upload speed and more importantly latency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I used to make VoIP on a 512kbps/128kbps with wireless latency(~80ms to boards). Not much bandwidth is required and you can usually browse while on the phone but if you've a small upstream be careful as the smallest bit of uploading could mess up your call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

About 16Kb line is fine depending on what codec it uses!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

+1 to..well everyone
    8Mb is plenty, your latency is what matters. When you've moved, take a speedtest for us and post the ping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

if u can get digiweb get it... they will give you a phone as part of the bundle

Advertisement