Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry

• 29-12-2011 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering does anyone have memory tips or anything for the testing of anions chapter. They're are so many there and i've tried learning them but I get them all confused:(

Any help thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Cool super nerds never ate with peasants = Chlorides - Silver Nitrate + Nitric acid = white precipitate

Pigs Are Much Nicer Animals, Hear You Peasants? = Phosphates - Ammonia + Nitric Acid + Heat = Yellow Precipitate

NISSAB(R) = Nitrates - Iron Sulfate + Sulfuric Acid = Brown (Ring)

(God, must look like I hate peasants.)

You can see where I'm going, it's about 2 minutes work to make up mnemonics for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Would this help? I have it attached as a pdf below.

186582.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

jumpguy wrote: »
    Cool super nerds never ate with peasants = Chlorides - Silver Nitrate + Nitric acid = white precipitate

Pigs Are Much Nicer Animals, Hear You Peasants? = Phosphates - Ammonia + Nitric Acid + Heat = Yellow Precipitate

NISSAB(R) = Nitrates - Iron Sulfate + Sulfuric Acid = Brown (Ring)

(God, must look like I hate peasants.)

You can see where I'm going, it's about 2 minutes work to make up mnemonics for them!

thanks. I usually try and avoid this kind of learning for chemistry as all the mnemonics be confusing, i usually try my best to understand everything but looks like its the one time ill have to take this approach!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Sunny!! wrote: »
    thanks. I usually try and avoid this kind of learning for chemistry as all the mnemonics be confusing, i usually try my best to understand everything but looks like its the one time ill have to take this approach!!
    You could get a better understanding of them by going here for example and having a look at the chemical equations (that site is also really good for some LC experiments - it covers questions that haven't appeared in the exam already). But there's still some rote learning required...it's extremely annoying like that. Wait until you get to the tests for aldehydes and carboxylic acids (if you haven't already)! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

jumpguy wrote: »
    You could get a better understanding of them by going here for example and having a look at the chemical equations (that site is also really good for some LC experiments - it covers questions that haven't appeared in the exam already). But there's still some rote learning required...it's extremely annoying like that. Wait until you get to the tests for aldehydes and carboxylic acids (if you haven't already)! :P

i didn't even know they were on the course! We must have skipped them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement