Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First shoes?

Options
  • 29-12-2011 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi all, my 1 year old is not far off walkjn, his standing on his own an took first couple steos. Im just wondering at what stage do i get him fitted for his first pair of good shoes? He has got a wide foot so its hard to find a soft shoe to fit him properly.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The longer they're barefoot when learning to walk the better, so soft shoes when out until he's walking properly.

When he's walking properly bring him to get measured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

My lady has been walking steady enough since she turned 11months, she is almost 13 months now and only got her first pair of shoes the week before last. They say the longer you leave it the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Clarks in the UK recommend waiting at least 6 weeks. When my older boy was walking on his own for about a month I brought him to get checked. The sales assistant took off his socks and made him walk and told us to wait another 2 weeks and bring him back to be measured and checked.

It was the complete opposite with Clarks here who measured my second lad while he was sitting in his buggy and more a case of the hard fast sell. 2 days later another Clarks shop assistant did similar but there was a big difference in size so I went elsewhere.

The soft shoes are handy to keep their feet warm and protected especially if they're in the habit of pulling off their socks.

You can get the socks with grips on the soles to minimize slipping. Penneys have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We got our son shoes when he started to stand as he stood on his toes.
    Getting shoes helped him put his feet on the floor. Went to clarkes and it was fine.
    He now bravely pushes his trolley up and down the floor and took a few tentative steps on his own last week. He's now 15 months

Advertisement