Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with empty tin chocolate boxes?

Options
  • 29-12-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hello All,
    Does anyone have ideas what to do with empty chocolate tin boxes? I have a few of them left over from christmas. I have no use for them since we have some from last year. Instead of throwing them in the bin do you know anyone else that would have a use for them?

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

thanks

evoke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Well i use some of them for storage. Our Jenga box broke last Christmas..well flattened might be a more appropriate word, so we put the pieces in one of the Christmas tin boxes instead. Can't think of any other uses off hand:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

evoke wrote: »
    Hello All,
    Does anyone have ideas what to do with empty chocolate tin boxes? I have a few of them left over from christmas. I have no use for them since we have some from last year. Instead of throwing them in the bin do you know anyone else that would have a use for them?

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

thanks

evoke

do u do much baking? id use them for carrying fairy cakes or buns to peoples houses or work if i was making stuff for there.
    maybe just as a biscuit tin for your own house.
    storage tin under your sink holding j cloths, brillo pads, scrubs ect
    or for washing tablets or dish washer tablets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

handy for nuts and bolts

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

I use them to store the warm ashes in when i clean out the fire until they cool down. Use some for clothes pegs, kids small toys lego etc and also dog treats.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not a Galway issue but I can't think of a better place atm.

Indoor Plant Pots?
    Storing stuff in, tape shut to keep wetness out.
    BBQ
    Paint and use as gift box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

You can make a tin box guitar...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

[they are good for storing cakes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If there's any ould fellas near you they would be mad for them for hoarding crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

lucianot wrote: »
    You can make a tin box guitar...

It could double as a multi purpose storage box/ drum. Play it with two spoons ala the average 2 year old. The possibilities are endless. There's at least a youtube video in there if you do it right.

Balance it on your head while you walk back and forth across the room repeating "the rain in spain stays mainly in the plain" in perfect queens english. Voila , your very own budget finishing school lesson. If that doesn't make a lady of you nothing will.

Otherwise just put stuff in it. I'm curious as to what suggestions beyond "put stuff in it" you were imagining we might provide OP. What marvellously inventive secret things did you suspect we were doing with our tin boxes ?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

evoke wrote: »
    Hello All,
    Does anyone have ideas what to do with empty chocolate tin boxes?

A time capsule.

You could fill it with some significant artifcats from today e.g. pictures of Brian Cowen, Enda Kenny, very important people who owe squillions to Nama, selected RTE "stars" - its up to you - and bury it for 50 years in your garden!

It should amaze and delight your descendents and bring back fond memories of Ireland 2011!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

We used to play Frizbee with the lid of the Roses tins. After a while of it being battered along the road one ran the risk of losing an eye or some fingers, but they flew well and stood up better to being stood upon.

If the tins are rectangular, I'd go with the guitar idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Do you know anybody who works with a youth group or the like that might need them for storing markers/craft bits and pieces, etc? If they're volunteers and have little to no budget, it'll save them forking out cash on lots of storage boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Great for storing lego.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

We have some four of them storing useful little things that you can't never find and yesterday we used one as a drum.
    I think the best option is to repaint them, like so:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?action=tags;sa=showtopics;tag=altoids_tin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Stick a bag of flour in each one, superglue the lids shut and give em away as presents next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

I use them for storing the small xmas decorations off the xmas tree. Also gerat for storage in the shed like nails and screws etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

handy for nuts and bolts in the shed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Awfully handy for keeping cats in a state of quantum flux? or maybe not...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

GY A1 wrote: »
    handy for nuts and bolts in the shed :P

no, I've a nut allergy !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Ironically my Mam uses them to make porter cakes for the world and his dog the following December.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

A lot of them are recyclable, have a look on the underside.

Advertisement