Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clocked car for sale 01 BMW e39 Estoril Blue, beware!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

NO SENCEABLE OFFER REFUSED..................
    says it all

its the way they speak up north:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DaForceCork

Back again for sale under another seller

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4360001

Even some of the ad description has been cut and paste from my old ad on BMW Driver site from 4 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

and another 11,000km off the clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

and another 11,000km off the clock
    In another few years it'll be "delivery milage only"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

More likely One careful lady owner, driven to the shops and back every day for 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

and serviced every 2000 miles but service book got washed away during floods

When I had it, there was a fully stamped book with main dealer to 100k and Indys stamps to 154k (bought it from another boards member) and sold it nearly 5 years ago. I remapped it then, tinted it and fitted the M5 mirrors so ad description is bull. I regret selling it on with a genuine set of style 65 M5 wheels (should have kept them!)

When it changed hands over the years since, it had exhausts added, M5 badges, rep wheels, wind visor tint and landed in Donegal when clocking started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

if done deal gave a damn it would be very easy to record the reg of reported vehicles thus helping cut this crapola out!

Be nice if motorcheck or cartell ran a sales site with one of their checks coming with every vehicle!
    It would cost more but would surely result in a more honest seller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Might take a spin about later see if I can spot it, those photos were taken out the road from me.

• Advertisement

Mully_2011 wrote: »
    I don't know why people get so upset with clocking I mean I wouldn't do it myself but really mileage isn't really that important at the end of the day once the car has being looked after properly serviced and all that jazz does it really make a difference.

Also that was a beaut of a e39 on the m5 wheels

I know this is an old comment but I have to give my opinion nonetheless.

Admittedly I don't know much about cars but what I do know is this, and it's just one of many reasons. Manufacturer recommends timing belt replacement at x miles. The car has been clocked back 60k. So when the car actually reaches x miles, it's reporting 60k less so you don't know the belt needs to be replaced. Timing belt fails, engine destroyed.

Checked reg plate and no change in ownership in three months

https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/pseVehicleSearchReceiving.do

The second last Donedeal ad had reference to tax book missing and owner would need to apply for it along with suspension damage. The location of ad was Derry again and not Wicklow as stated. I have screen shots from Done Deal.

This was from Dec 2011

[IMG][/img]6i4c41.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

They're a timing chain.

Anywho who believes the tip ex on a timing belt cover without documented proof is doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

amdublin wrote: »
    In this day and age is it still bloody possible to clock cars??
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4357788

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Is it not mental money anyway, even if the mileage quoted was genuine? Relatively old, big engine high tax, not the most fuel efficient yoke. Would have thought there was no marked for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The only way to stop clocking is to make changing the odomoter only legal in main dealers and prosecute everyone else heavily. When buying a car, any car, the decision to buy should be made on the inspection of the car, and not what number appears on the dash.

Sure if someone changed the engine in that car what's the odometer good for then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Donedeal knows about this thread. Lets see if they act. Maybe one for legal thread, but now they know its clocked/fraud? Are they liable due to complacency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Cungi

Does anyone know if this has been reported to the Gardai?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Sure if someone changed the engine in that car what's the odometer good for then.
    Every other single component on the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Cungi wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this has been reported to the Gardai?

For what offence?

For what offence?

Offering a car for sale which has been clocked.

According to the National Consumer Agency, it's an offence.

http://www.nca.ie/nca/car-clocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Only if the seller knows about it and fails to disclose it to a potential buyer.

Nobody has given the seller that opportunity yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That's only if you buy it and the seller didn't make you aware of the fact that it was clocked beforehand. It's not against the law to advertise it because the seller can just say he was going to make the buyer aware of it before the sale was completed.

Only if the seller knows about it and fails to disclose it to a potential buyer.

Nobody has given the seller that opportunity yet.

Ok. Has anyone here contacted the seller?

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Every other single component on the car.

Like what? Tyres? Bushings? Ball joints? I'm sure on a car that's 13 years old with 250k on it most of the wareable parts would have been changed where as a car with 100 k might have less changes!

Old ad removed from Donedeal and back again with reg deleted

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4381989

Nice red dot on dash clock too which shows miles been tampered with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

LOL
    No tax
    No NCT
    No log book

That's not a car - that's an ornament !! :D

p.s.
    No tax is livable - std fare these days
    No NCT - very caveat, very emptor
    No logbook - really ? How do 'I' know you own it, then ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Ah jays us you might as well burn your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

FIY, the so called temper dot on the cluster has nothing to do with mileage difference between the mileage stored in the IKE and LCM module. You can swith clusters between 2 e39 with exact same mileage, you would still have the temper dot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bmstuff wrote: »
    FIY, the so called temper dot on the cluster has nothing to do with mileage difference between the mileage stored in the IKE and LCM module. You can swith clusters between 2 e39 with exact same mileage, you would still have the temper dot on.

yeah but its not a hard job to line up the mileage and vin number , a bmw indy should be able to code the right vin into the modules for 50 quid or so, you could even do it yourself with a 30 euro cable from ebay and a bit of googling. Even if we didnt know it was clocked it would throw up serious alarm bells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Just a thought

I'm looking at the original ad, if the car was clocked to 60k ish miles in Dec 2011, now has 181k miles.... Isn't that not a lot of miles in just over a year? Normal taxi mileage wouldn't be close to that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

yeah but its not a hard job to line up the mileage and vin number , a bmw indy should be able to code the right vin into the modules for 50 quid or so, you could even do it yourself with a 30 euro cable from ebay and a bit of googling. Even if we didnt know it was clocked it would throw up serious alarm bells.

Yes but the simple fact of changing the light module on a e39 would get the temper dot to go off.
    Yes the temper dot is worrysome and question should be raised, but light module issue are very common on the e39, e53..
    Obviously this car has history and is dodgy...but the temper dot has nothing to do with mileage once again and is not and has never been a sign the car has been clocked, this is just a urban legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bmstuff wrote: »
    Yes but the simple fact of changing the light module on a e39 would get the temper dot to go off.
    Yes the temper dot is worrysome and question should be raised, but light module issue are very common on the e39, e53..
    Obviously this car has history and is dodgy...but the temper dot has nothing to do with mileage once again and is not and has never been a sign the car has been clocked, this is just a urban legend.

a light module has to be coded anyway afaik , so coding in the vin wouldnt be too much of a stretch while doing it.

I seriously doubt the current "owner" is driving that thing properly insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Jayson325i

I'm the current owner of this car now, bought it from a guy in Milford a year ago I paid 4500 euro for it, I've put the add up a few time an everyone ones seem to be reporting it! At the end of the day I had no idea of the history of the car, cars runing 100% can't fault it in anyway.. You's all need to get a life instead of on this form talking about other people's misfortunes. Miles may have been screwd ( not by me of course) but nearly every car around nowadays are clock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<fetches popcorn>

dahamsta wrote: »
    <fetches popcorn>
    <turd muffin>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Jayson325i wrote: »
    <turd muffin>

Prefer popcorn...

• Advertisement

Jayson how come you never rereg'd it in NI if your living in Derry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

This will be good..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Jayson325i wrote: »
    I'm the current owner of this car now, bought it from a guy in Milford a year ago I paid 4500 euro for it, I've put the add up a few time an everyone ones seem to be reporting it! At the end of the day I had no idea of the history of the car, cars runing 100% can't fault it in anyway.. You's all need to get a life instead of on this form talking about other people's misfortunes. Miles may have been screwd ( not by me of course) but nearly every car around nowadays are clock.

Bought a year ago, but you did not get the 'log book' from the previous owner... must have made it hard to tax the car for the last while?

mloc123 wrote: »

Bought a year ago, but you did not get the 'log book' from the previous owner... must have made it hard to tax the car for the last while?
    Does it matter to you if I taxed the car or not?? You's all need a life or a hobby instead of on this talking about a car witch the mileage was put back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

What's a car witch?

guttenberg wrote: »
    Jayson how come you never rereg'd it in NI if your living in Derry?
    Just never bothered, I just moved from killea to Derry last month

• Advertisement

ian87 wrote: »
    What's a car witch?
    Ha ha good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭nookie

This post has been deleted.

nookie wrote: »

So will you be updating your advert on DoneDeal to reflect the cars true history?
    I've no idea of the history so can't reflect price on something I've no idea about, apart from a few clowns mentioning about the mileage being put back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

You do realise that the car as it is now is pretty much unsellable?

Even taking away the mileage discrepancy you can't prove you actually own the car. No one in their right mind would buy it from you.

dar83 wrote: »
    You do realise that the car as it is now is pretty much unsellable?

Even taking away the mileage discrepancy you can't prove you actually own the car. No one in their right mind would buy it from
    Well as another memeber already stated in this form saying this is the only one in Ireland so doubt it wouldn't be to hard for the owner to find, wat u reckon? Plenty off guys looking to swap so ill have no problem getting shot of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement