Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home parking options.

• 29-12-2011 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

I am planning on getting a bike in the new year, but I am worried about where I am going to keep the bike.

I live on a very narrow cul de sac, which is always full with cars. There is a space at the very end, about 2 doors down from me. There are parking permits in place. Would I need to get a permit for my bike? I read somewhere that bikes are not allowed to be parked in car parking areas?

The footpath is very narrow, so i cant park it on there. There is a rear access road around the back of the houses, and there is a shed at the back but the landlord has that bolted shut with planks of wood. If he doesnt agree to open these, do you think it would be safe to park the bike outside the shed?
    The access road is also a cul de sac and it isnt used as a short cut by people.
    I think a fire engine would be able to pass a bike parked there, if needs be.

Any tips?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Will it fit in the hall? You don't mention where you live but if it is any of the main urban centres you need to have your bikes security as priority #1.

You are right about not being able to park in a car space but you should ask your local council nonetheless about applying to use one. As for parking in lonely cul-de-sacs, unless its a mangy CG125 with mismatched wheels and no saddle I wouldn't risk it.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Got to have the bike at least chained to something if it's away from your house and being left overnight.

Your bike in mind will come with an alarm but I've read here about bikes being loaded onto vans wit the alarm blaring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ground anchor outside shed or to the shed. Have a ground anchor outside my house. I'm fooked if I ever lose the key lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Can't be too careful when it comes to security.

Mine is nicely secured at the minute. Theres a car blocking the gate. The gate is locked. The bike in a shed behind the gate. The shed is also locked. There are also four large dogs between the gate and the shed, the smallest of which is a german shepherd.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Orderofchaos

AgileMyth wrote: »

Mine is nicely secured at the minute. Theres a car blocking the gate. The gate is locked. The bike in a shed behind the gate. The shed is also locked. There are also four large dogs between the gate and the shed, the smallest of which is a german shepherd.

Nice:) You can never have too much security. Mines down a locked side gate with two chains, ground anchor, disc lock, alarm and immobiliser and a very annoying jack Russell :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Will it fit in the hall?
    'cptr

No it would be in the way there. Is it easy to push a heavy motorbike over a kerb?
    There is a kerb up to a patch of gravel from the front path where i could lock it to railings. I would need to push it from a standstill though.
    Hopefully the landlord will allow me to unbolt the shed door though.

I live in a Dublin city terraced house.

AgileMyth wrote: »

Not even Chuck Norris would be able to steal that =O

Not even Chuck Norris would be able to steal that =O
    Don't challenge him! It'll be gone!

No it would be in the way there. Is it easy to push a heavy motorbike over a kerb?
    There is a kerb up to a patch of gravel from the front path where i could lock it to railings. I would need to push it from a standstill though.
    Hopefully the landlord will allow me to unbolt the shed door though.

I live in a Dublin city terraced house.
    It'll be easy enough pushed about once you get used to it but that may take a while.

Good luck with the landlord, thats your safest bet.

It turns out the small door of the shed was just jammed. I just gave it a shoulder and i managed to open it.
    So thats sorted thank God. Thanks for the feedback.

• Advertisement
Advertisement