Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal Irish?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

you can't pay taxes without a SSN.....and you can't get a SSN without a work visa

Not true. There are illegals who pay taxes. One of the reasons given is if they are threatened with deportation they can say they have been contributing. Figures here:

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/87xx/doc8711/12-6-Immigration.pdf

I know people who have gone over and been for years, the problem is being illegal they can't go home for any reason what so ever or they won't be getting back in.

Everyone I know that has gone over illegally has known someone or known someone who knows someone that type of thing. Im pretty sure if you just land at JFK without a plan its not going to work out for you.

Personally Im American, my husband is Irish, when we were living over there just getting into the country was a pain because we didn't apply for his green card in Ireland. I know every state is different on their license requirements, where we lived you needed little more than proof of address, that was also 8 years ago so things have changed.

Also as for getting sponsored its very very very difficult because they make it extremely difficult for employers. Like someone else said you would have to have some sh%t hot qualification to get sponsored and even then its grasping for straws because the employer would have to prove that there was nobody else they could hire.

If you had common sense and landed at JFK in the morning absolutely determined to find work you would be working within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

they pay taxes using fake SSN......taxes are filed based on SSN, payrolls are run using SSN........you can't pay taxes without one.....whether it actually belongs to you or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Not always. Once you get a visa you can obtain a social security number. That social security number is yours for life, however the visa isn't. I'm sure there are illegal immigrants who just continue to use this social security number with no visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

you can't pay taxes without a SSN.....and you can't get a SSN without a work visa

I'll just go ahead and quote myself......i never said that illegals don't pay taxes.....i said you can't pay taxes without a SSN and you can't get one without a work visa.

I never said that people don't legitimately get a SSN and then continute to use it and pay taxes after their visa expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Not true. There are illegals who pay taxes. One of the reasons given is if they are threatened with deportation they can say they have been contributing. Figures here:

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/87xx/doc8711/12-6-Immigration.pdf

If you had common sense and landed at JFK in the morning absolutely determined to find work you would be working within a week.

OP didn't mention common sense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

In this neck of the woods the unemployment rate is 5.1% so I know a few illegals. If you're Caucasian (94% in NH) and don't get pulled for speeding etc ........ you would stay under the radar. You can drive for 12 months on an Irish licence here. Don't know about the employer exploiting re low wages etc. AFAIK they are getting the same as the other workers ....... it's just that the boss does not pay tax, ins, pension or holiday pay on their cash. I guess it works both ways ......... both would seem to benefit - once they are not twigged.
    According to Immigration there are over 12,000,000 illegals. CNN say it is almost twice that. A guy on NPR a few weeks ago said up to 30,000,00.

Advertisement