Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your average electricity bill?

Options
  • 29-12-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

just wondering what peoples average bi-monthly bills are with their respective electricity suppliers. im curently in a dormer, approx 2,500 sq feet. only 2 of us in the house, bills range from 140 -180.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

just wondering what peoples average bi-monthly bills are with their respective electricity suppliers. im curently in a dormer, approx 2,500 sq feet. only 2 of us in the house, bills range from 140 -180.

Two of us would live in a similar sized house and we have a day / night meter. It would be about 150 -160 in the winter and about 110 - 120 in the summer.

We are with the ESB so our bills would probably be the same if we did not have the day / night meter.

We don't use the ESB for heating we have oil fired central heating.

We would use the washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher 2 - 3 times per weeks.

We would use a instant electric shower.

Without knowing the specifics of what appliances you have you are probably about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

we are with airtricity and living in a 2 bed town house. are bill for electricity and gas is around 110 every 2 months. noticed a big saving compared to esb as it used to be around 90 euro for the electricity alone and we always have the gas heating on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I just swiched my gas supply over from Bord Gais to ESB and went with the online billing for both the electric and gas with them.

I got 9% reduction or EACH utility (18% total ) for online billing and paying via a DD mandate..

The bills get emailed to me,and then I have 14 days to make sure the money is in my bank account for them to deduct it.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

went on to the bonkers websie to compare the 3 - esb, airtricity, bord gais. bord gais came in the cheapest in my circumstances so i have duly switched over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

100 - 9% = 91
    100 - 9% = 91
    200 - 18 = 9%
    I got 9% reduction or EACH utility (18% total )

I have lost track of now many times this falsehood has been posted here.

perhaps this will work:

from 01/01/2012

weekly wages of 100 will go up by 9 euro
    plus
    weekly un-vouched expenses to be increased by 9% from 100

So wages plus expenses on
    31st Dec = 200

6th Jan = 218

Increase from 200 to 218 is an % increase of ......9%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Leon245

We are with Airtricity and our bills vary from 100 to 120 euro every 2 months. There are three of us and we live in a medium sized 3 bed semi detached house with oil fired central heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭barbs84

iv to pay mine today, 3 of us in a 3 bed bungalow, we dont have a dish washer or tumble dryer, and todays bill with airtricity is €219, it does be nearly the same though out the year, and we dont really be hone during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

2000 sq. foot Bungalow, 2 Adults, 2 Teenagers,
    Average bill is. €270 aprox. It's doing my head in,
    Were with ESB until last month then we changed to Bord gais,
    Hope things will come down a bit..?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

3 bed semi,2 adults,2 young kids. Never gone above €150 for electricity bi monthly in over 7 years,2 different houses and 3 different suppliers. usually comes in around the €120 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PaddyJules

A bungalow about 1500 sqft. Two adults and 2 teenagers. Tumble Dryer no dishwasher and one electric shower. Heating is by solid fuel stove and oil central heating. We are with ESB and pay 120 euro by direct debit every month so bi-monthly would be 240 euro.

I think this seems alot for the house so looking into changing to airtricity maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

2100 sq. ft. 2 adults, 3 kids. Average around €160 per two months but it will be €200 or so this weather - what with more tumble drying and more lighting/cooking. Don't have leckie showers or heating. Really try hard to reduce consumption (have an "OWL" to prove it!). My biggest saving was to replace 50w GU10 bulbs with 11w halogen ones. My kitchen/dining/living room was costing 30c per hour to heat light until we replaced. Not a fan of LED lighting yet - been disappointed with anything I've encountered so far. Much prefer the "flourescent" ones - but they take a bit of time to get up to full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

2800sq ft. 2 story house
    2 adults & 2 babies plus loads of family & neighbours on a daily basis calling so the kettle is on all the time! House is like a bus station during the day.

Energy usage as follows:
    Oil central heating - underfloor downstairs and rads upstairs.
    Solar & oil heating for running hot water/showers/bath etc
    Gas Cooking rings.
    Electric oven cooking.

Electricity usage as follows:
    - Well water pump (650watt) for house & family farm (part of).
    - Electic farm fencers 3x (60 watt each I think).
    - Outdoor lighting on timers - 2x sodum 75 watts bulbs, 8x CFL 11 watt bulbs, 4x CLF 24 watt.
    - Garage/workshop.
    - Washing machine 2/3 loads per day.
    - Tumble dryer (>3100 watt) 1 load per day - 20mins
    - Dehumidifer (300 watt peak I think) on 6 to 8 hours per day to dry clothes.
    - Clothes Iron 3 hours per week.
    - Dishwasher 7 cycles per week (each night).
    - 86x 50watt GU10 bulbs used rarely.. I have lamps with CFL bulbs in most rooms now on timers.

I'm with Airtricity budget plan.. was euro96 per month, revised late last year to euro113 per month.

Month of Dec 2011 I used approx 780 units I think.

Historically for me the big usage was the dumb gu10's I intalled in the house during the build.. they were cheap to install etc but by god they are $$$$ to run! Also a few years back had a few 500w outdoor floodlighting units running on LDR cells.. replaced them all with 24watt CFLs (Philips 2G11 pins I think) on timers now.

I look forward to one euro LED bulbs with >800lm of light! :) the holy grail of lighting... :D

Advertisement