Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Limerick

• 29-12-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭

I dont know if this was mentioned elsewhere but I've just seen our very own "Occupy" site on Liddy St.

Is this new or have I missed out on it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Wasters will congregate anywhere nowadays:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Like in Dail Eireann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Been there about 3 weeks now.. More like Occupy Dunnes - "WE WONT MOVE UNTIL HARRYS IS OPEN AGAIN! I WANT MY TOAST AND SAMMICH!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I like waking them up on my way to work :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

"Wasters will congregate anywhere nowadays"

What`s wrong with the occupy movement Kristopherus?
    It is a leaderless democratic movement, and is the first time we have seen peers congregate without being led by a clear leader.
    This is the purest form of democracy that has emerged "ever".
    Our politicians tell us we live in a democracy, when the system we operate in is a plutocracy. We accept this as democracy, it`s difficult to fathom the reality.
    Another interesting point is that the occupy movement took inspiration from the Arab Spring, that occurred in places without "democracy".
    The occupy movement want to remind people that we are the 99% who are paying for the 1% who are habitually profiting from whichever economic cycle we happen to be going through.
    Could you please explain how if someone who feels disillusioned with the current set up and spends a few hours discussing/learning about issues on their day off is a waster?
    Perhaps someone is between jobs and wishes to escape the isolation that poverty can overwhelm one with, they decide to spend some time there, are they wasters?
    Why don`t you go and have a chat with them?
    You don`t have to believe. You don`t have to agree.
    You might be surprised who you`d find there on their day off.

Phog: Thanks for the reminder.
    Xiledsniper: Thanks for the location.

I`ll pop by tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Exact location is the side of the old closed down Dunnnes on Sarsfield St. Across from the between the park and the Pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Any one who has a different opinion to Kris is a waster.
    Get a life Kris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its a joke - you'd think they would take up a more prominent position

Mc Love wrote: »
    And have it crushed before it even got started.
    People of Ireland. do not protest in any way, because who better to knock anyone but the Irish them selves.
    People of Ireland, bend over and dont complain.
    People of Ireland dont speak your mind, because your fellow Irishman will ridicule you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

People of Ireland dont speak your mind, because your fellow Irishman will ridicule you.

In fairness, sticking up two tents outside an abandoned shopping centre for the coldest month of the year is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

How many of these people are full time students?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Been there about 3 weeks now.. More like Occupy Dunnes - "WE WONT MOVE UNTIL HARRYS IS OPEN AGAIN! I WANT MY TOAST AND SAMMICH!"
    don't forget the coleslaw!

And have it crushed before it even got started.
    People of Ireland. do not protest in any way, because who better to knock anyone but the Irish them selves.
    People of Ireland, bend over and dont complain.

If they set up on Bedford Row or Thomas St or Cruises St - maybe they would have gotten more support - but its down in the middle of nowhere in terms of foot traffic and you would only notice it if you were stopped at the traffic lights. They might as well go home - because they aint achieving a whole lot where they are at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Might go down and set up a tent.

Save me paying for taxi home from town tomorrow night after boozing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

where would you recommend??

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cc4life

baza1976 wrote: »
    How many of these people are full time students?

I know for a fact that the majority of them are not. Not sure about one or two being part time students but the rest are just unemployed with no hope of a job

In fairness, sticking up two tents outside an abandoned shopping centre for the coldest month of the year is ridiculous.
    Maybe some of these people have lost their jobs homes pensions and are fighting to feed their kids.
    Maybe some could not afford turkey for christmas dinner, toys for the children.
    Maybe some had to go to SVTP for christmas dinner.
    And than again some people will be stuffed like pigs after their christmas dinner. So stuffed that they will have to turn down the heating for half an hour.
    People of Ireland dont complain, I have not digested my dinner yet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Maybe some of these people have lost their jobs homes pensions and are fighting to feed their kids.
    Maybe some could not afford turkey for christmas dinner, toys for the chrildren.
    Maybe some had to go to SVTP for christmas dinner.
    And than again some people will be stuffed like pigs after their christmas dinner. So stuffed that they will have to turn down the heating for half an hour.
    People of Ireland dont complain, I have not digested my dinner yet.

Says himself posting on the Internet at 01:17 in the morning. When did they get the wi-fi connection set up in those tents? Or are you too busy fighting the good fight from a comfortable chair somewhere?

cc4life wrote: »
    I know for a fact that the majority of them are not. Not sure about one or two being part time students but the rest are just unemployed with no hope of a job
    How do you know such facts?

washman3 wrote: »

Suggestions posted above :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

why not start one so??
    let us know how you get on...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

If there are any unemployed people with kids and morgatages to boot, I do sympathise. And if I was unlucky enough to be in such a position (which no one is to far from), I know how to better spend my time by looking for a job everyday be it packing shelfs, working in take aways, cleaning windows or even cutting grass while claming dole. I dont know what a family man hopes to gain camping outside an empty building. He be better off in the bookies, at least he has some chance of making money. IMHO must of those guys camping and protesting are conspiracy theorists or/are trying to create anarchy. And what will that bring us and our kids....That my two cents if you wanted it....I.m off to my bunker now, which has no wifi so I won't get your reply our be in a position to answer.

why not start one so??
    let us know how you get on...;)

I have a job - if you are so keen on it, set one up yourself. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Simple really, I don't know who they are, but, they are doing something, the difference is, the rest of you smartarse's.... are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

jbkenn wrote: »
    Simple really, I don't know who they are, but, they are doing something, the difference is, the rest of you smartarse's.... are not.

yeah they're really showing the 1% alright, does anyone even walk down that area aside from winos going for a piss under the bridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jacksudan

Ridiculous you say! With a name like Insect Overlord you are comfortable with your comment? Hmmmm, no wonder you are a slave and don't know it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jacksudan

If they set up on Bedford Row or Thomas St or Cruises St - maybe they would have gotten more support - but its down in the middle of nowhere in terms of foot traffic and you would only notice it if you were stopped at the traffic lights. They might as well go home - because they aint achieving a whole lot where they are at the moment!

Maybe that's the point! Maybe we should wake up here, after all it is the military industrial complex and capitalism that put them there! Do we really need marketing a statement of intent on Cruises street to wake up or do we need to just wake up? Maybe if coca cola poured a billion into their cause then people might listen but i guess that's wont happen soon as there is no profit in people just products! on a lighter note urope sent the queen here last year to see if we would riot! they got their answer, no trouble from Ireland! Paddy is a fool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

jbkenn wrote: »
    What exactly are they doing? Honestly tell me what productivity is occurring from these protests? I could walk around with my trousers on my head shouting 'I'm a chocolate biscuit' and call it a protest! It doesn't make it so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

MyKeyG wrote: »
    What exactly are they doing? Honestly tell me what productivity is occurring from these protests? I could walk around with my trousers on my head shouting 'I'm a chocolate biscuit' and call it a protest! It doesn't make it so.

I was wondering exact same thing - what are they doing. setting up a camp in an obscure place where virtually no one knows where they are is hardly helping to set the country/world to rights. I saw them there few weeks before christmas and until I saw it on the paper yesterday, not a single other person knew what I was talking about. Big protest - ya right ! Get out and find a job and if you can 't find one do some voluntary work.

• Advertisement

City Hall..??? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement