Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Limerick

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

gaf1983 wrote: »
    which was said in response to Avatarr's very poorly phrased comment in support of those in the tents:

Yes, it was pretty obvious my comment was to highlight the fact his comment was absurd and not that the members of Occupy movement where Al-Qeada supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

It may interest you to know that according to World Bank Economist Branko Milanovic, all it takes is a net earning of $34,000 per person per annum to be part of the Global 1%.
    On a global scale to be considered Economically Middle Class all you need to earn is net $1,225 per person per annum.
    This figure is scary as that is the median figure of all global incomes (declared) as of the latest figures from 2005.
    A fair chunk of us are in the global 1%. Some of the "occupiers" may be part of that revered global 1%. However, this movement is showing solidarity is being shown to all affected.

Quit your jibber jabber about the chosen location in Limerick, and see that there is unacceptable inequality locally, nationally, and globally.

The "occupiers" are not worried about what you think of their decisions as they are a democratic bunch and will vote on all suggestions offered.

Visit the place, you do not have to agree, you do not have to believe.
    However, inequality cannot be denied.

at time of writing:
    $34,000 = € 26,260 approx
    $1,225 = € 950 approx

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/04/news/economy/world_richest/index.htm?iid=HP_LN&hpt=ibu_c1

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/books/review/Rampell-t.html

http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html

P.S. There are public meetings held at 1830 on Mondays and Thursdays at the site on Liddy Street, Limerick. Come along, air your views.
    Don`t hide behind the monitor, turn up, speak up, or remain disenfranchised from democracy.
    See you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Yes, it was pretty obvious my comment was to highlight the fact his comment was absurd and not that the members of Occupy movement where Al-Qeada supporters.

Which is why I called your comment facetious.

@Brian Lighthouse: Do you think people should feel guilty if they earn more than $34,000 per annum net? Surely the fact that countries with huge populations, like Pakistan, India, Indonesia, China have many people earning less than that, so effecting the global average figures. This doesn't mean that many people earning less than $34,000 per annum are poor, given the different purchasing power in different countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I don`t think anyone should feel guilty about how much money they earn at all. There is nothing wrong with being wealthy.
    A little more empathy towards each other would make us all happier and wealthier (not necessarily materially).

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheEntertainer

gaf1983 wrote: »
    I think initially they wanted to place the camp in Arthur's Quay park but Limerick on Ice was using this so they went across the road, perhaps they'll move to the park after the ice rink is taken down, so perhaps that's why they're not in such a prominent position.

Well I dont know but moving to Arthurs Quay is that the safest place to put a tent? Like Its quite the good place but have you not seen all the sorts of people that have a stench off of them sitting on the steps drinking their Linden Village. You might as well occupy fine wines :)

On another note Hey Ho Hey Ho the IMF has got to go. A great protest this afternoon :P 20 people holding up traffic up O Connell St. I could point you all in the direction of one or two bankers who gave out ridiculous loans to property development companies of which they were directors of also. :) Wont mention any names but if you type in INBS Limerick, CAB and other topics youll find lots :) But let the IMF stay. Just get rid of the problem at its source Wan*ing F****n bankers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ciog52

Went bye this afternoon,the tent is gone and all that is left is a pile of rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

ciog52 wrote: »
    Went bye this afternoon,the tent is gone and all that is left is a pile of rubbish.

Well that's not very environmentally conscious of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Farewell waisters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

They walked O'Connell St., Sat., all 25 of them - of whom only about 6 were adult, and of the 6 there were only 2 of them that looked like they could possibly possess a mortgage and the other two were banging their make-shift drums!

The young one at the front with the loud hailer, was spouting some crap. "don't pay your mortgages!", "don't pay your bills", FFS I was thinking. Here's this one telling us not to pay our mortgages or bills and she's probably still living at home with mammy and daddy.

Most people that stopped to watch the debarcle, laughed at what she was saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just saw some pics on facebook of them dismantling the occupy site:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.278206222246413.71615.100001711131363&type=1

Probably the most amount of work they did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ciog52

Any pictures of what they left behind???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

There's currently about 14 of this crowd down on Bedford row, with some woman shouting through a megaphone.

It's a little embarrassing to watch if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Embarrassing why so?

They are representing the 99%. Surely they should be listened to...........................................................oh wait........................

They DO NOT represent the 99% because the 99% they claim to represent didn't vote them for anything and couldn't give a rats about them.

When these folks finally grow up(literally get older), accept capitalism, earn a wage, contribute adequately to society, they might be happy with their "lot".

At the moment I feel very sorry for those folk but I understand their compulsion to try to "save the world, save the whales, protect the trees, stop coca cola, save the cheerleader" or whatever they want right now.

Having a principle in this world is important but let them not forget only a tiny % actually support their camps(what else do they do?), the rest aren't dumb enough to think a bunch of crusties will make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

ciog52 wrote: »
    Any pictures of what they left behind???

No but the council had to clean i tup and pull the branches and other "nature" type decorations from the road signs.....

Perhaps if there was more constructive stuff done during there occupation then they would have gained some more support!!

Advertisement