Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you pull the plug on someone?

• 30-12-2011 12:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

If given the choice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

As in agree for their lifesupport machine to be turned off?

yes I would, if there is no hope for recovery whats the point of letting someone you love linger and possibly die a slow painful death from an infection they pick up in the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

If they're in the bath too long, then yes. Yes I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

AnamGlas wrote: »

Desperate attempt for thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

AnamGlas wrote: »
    If the hairdrier fell in to the bath I would .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

WatchWolf wrote: »
    Ah sure.

Suppose I'd have to if it came to it, if they had absolutely no hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Says your man with 72 thanks in total, pffttt I got more than that in 1 post :pac:

ThePower11 wrote: »
    Says your man with 72 thanks in total, pffttt I got more than that in 1 post :pac:

I'm not a regular here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

I'm not a regular here.
    Thank God for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

`
    If you had to?

Yes.

Z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I know a few people who have had to do this, so to answer your question, would I do it yes, would I like it no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'd go with them to Switzerland if they wanted. Mmm toblerone...

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Ah yeah just grab the fox tail and yank it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

with gusto.

ThePower11 wrote: »
    Thank God for that

My feelings. How they hurt.

Thanks for the help everyone so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Depends if I'm mentioned in their will or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

If you are then they Die, Die, Die by your hand!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

If you are then they Die, Die, Die by your hand!!

And then creep across the land?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I'm not a regular here.
    Yet you know it all.

If you had to?
    I'd have a real hard time just thinking about it. Someone you loved on life support? I guess it depends on the seriousness of their condition. In the case of a coma, I don't know, people have come out of coma's when everybody'd given up on them. I'm not sure I could do it, but then you never really know til you find yourself in that situation.

• Advertisement

Very apt username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I would have huge difficulty with it. It's not a decision I would make alone or without agonizing over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

It's an open ended question op..It all depends on the circumstances. The idea here is Euthanasia - and when to make a call really to give somebody a peaceful death...., the medical profession seem to have that nailed imo in an ethical way, that values life.

For instance, I gave the go-ahead to give my father a morphine injection that would have within hours ended his life, his 'fight' without question imo a fight for life, but in a coma and fighting double pneumonia, only to get the same thing again and again, his body was done, but his instinct was to live - I live with that now.

That said, he was given six extra years that everybody enjoyed his company, and helped him in his suffering when he was refused a simple operation for an aortic aneurysm because of his age and complications. He sailed through it despite medical predictions..

It's a tough question. It has many and varied implications too...I think we just have to be careful how to approach it, and also to recognise it's brevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭peewee_44

Not that I would want to but I think I would, My OH has always said to me he would want it pulled if there was no hope of a full recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Yep, if I had to do I'd do it but it wouldnt be easy and it would haunt you for a long while after too regardless of how you seen it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

AH standard type reply: Depends on how much the money was to do it!

Serious reply: I honestly don't know - the circumstances are currently undefinable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

could i like trip over it and then fumble around trying to plug it back in only to be stopped some time later ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Just turn off the power at the mains & blame the ESB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

myself ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

I'd rather pull the trigger on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

kieranfitz wrote: »

Roy Keane wouldn't be too happy about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭leedslad

If the hairdrier fell in to the bath I would .
    But surely only while holding a piece of timber or there would be two of ye brown bread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I would have no qualms about pulling the plug, I understand why some wouldn't, but I think it is better to let them go then cling to an empty hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

What do you mean if I had to?

If I had to then I would have no choice would I? so I would.

Other than that, no probably not unless they were clearly suffering extremely and/or they asked me to do it either previously in their lifes or at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

If I had to then yes - in an instant.

If I didn't have to? That would be where I'd seek advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yeah, if it was the most humane thing to do. Like if the person had MS or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Kim_Il_Jong

If you had to?

What ... do you mean a stuck butt-plug?

Well, do unto others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Fvck.
    It looks like I'm the only person who did. It wasn't nice but there was no other option and was the most dignified choice for a man that was too good for me.

I wouldn't recommend as a life experience. Why ask such an off the wall question?

Double Edit- Kim- how did you delete so fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

My da, RIP, had a stroke, years ago, only 44, was on life support for just under a week, then we were told by his doctor, he had 1% to recover, its hard to "pull the plug", it was so hard but it was a family descion, all of us, not just one person but when someone's time is up, its up, it hard to say (type) but whats the point in leaving him in that state, for weeks, months, knowing hes not gonna make it:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I recently was faced with this situation. Believe me, It's the hardest decision you will ever make. Only when there was no chance of recovery did we make that decision. Watching somebody slip away off life support is the toughest thing you will ever see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I would and I'd hope that my family would do the same for me.

I gotta say that the staff in my local hospital were so good and professional when caring for my husband and our family. They did everything under the sun to make the experience as dignified and as untraumatic (:confused:) as they could. Their patience and support help me still to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Yes; particularly if they had previously had said "if that ever becomes of me..".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Had to do something similar with my nana, she had pnuemonia and there was no way she was gonna recover from it. She was 96 and we were given the option to take her from her home and go to hospital where she might last a few extra days or leave her where she was comfortable but she wont last as long. It was a very very tough decision but we left her where she was comfortable and I am still glad we did. It was what she wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Kim_Il_Jong

kieranfitz wrote: »

Fair point. Thinking about it, the brain is the organ being switched off, and the switching off is probably going to suck for the one experiencing it.
    Best way to get it over with is the quickest way....pistol and silencer, nice stylish one. Can't think of a quicker or more humane means.

Alternatively cattle gun a la chirgur.

Fair point. Thinking about it, the brain is the organ being switched off, and the switching off is probably going to suck for the one experiencing it.
    Best way to get it over with is the quickest way....pistol and silencer, nice stylish one. Can't think of a quicker or more humane means.

Alternatively cattle gun a la chirgur.

I don't mean to be pedantic but generally life support is switched off when the brain is too damaged to do primary functions such as heartbeat, temperature, renal control etc.. The brain is what is already dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

If someone is brain dead it's the best thing to do for them.I would want my family to do it for me, I would hate to just exist with a machine keeping me alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

I'd imagine it's more of a touch-screen affair these days rather than literally "pulling the plug".

That said though, I'd bash my thumb down on the "esc" key without a second thought. Then I might order a "tab" to calm my nerves.

I get the feeling from his responses that the op is asking because they are experiencing this at the moment. If you are still checking in op, there is a bereavement section beside personal issues that is maybe more appropriate for this question.

• Advertisement
Advertisement