Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road to Berlin

Options
  • 30-12-2011 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I've been following these logs for quite a while now but up to now have never started my own. Main reason was my lack of a Garmin, meaning that other than track sessions I could never really tell how far I was running. Santa took care of that this year so I guess it's time to start a log! I took up running a couple of years ago but in a pretty half-assed, non-structured way. In Jan 2010 I joined a running group at work; some really experienced runners with some serious PBs to their name. I can keep up with them now as they're passed their peak but I still get some super advice from them. Since joining them I've been training regularly and each week now has a proper structure and this has benefited me a lot.

2011 turned out to be a pretty good year, with practically no injuries and PBs at 5k (19.43), 5 miles (33.28), 10k (41.45), 10 mile (69.50) and marathon (3.38). The 10k and the marathon stand out as unfinished business as I was hoping for a faster time in each of these. I think that a weakness of mine is that I don't race enough and can be a bit conservative in my pacing. For 2012 I plan on doing a lot of races (at least 2 per month) for the first 5 months before getting stuck into a training programme for Berlin in September. I was interested to see how well the P&D brigade did this year in Dublin and think I'll probably use this plan for Berlin. Ok, that's the log started; better get out in the morning and start running!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Good luck with the log & the goals :)!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

10.15k in 50.53 around the Phoenix Park. Faster than I intended but sometimes it's nice to just run and forget about things:) That's probably my last run for the year so I guess it's time to come up with a few targets for next year. There are 2 big ones and if I get both of these I'll consider 2012 to be a good year. These are:
    1. Go sub 40 for 10k
    2. Take another chunk off my marathon time in Berlin
    The first is pretty self-explanatory; for my last 2 marathons I've taken 20 minutes each time off my PB and I'd like to continue that. McMillan keeps telling me that I should be capable of breaking 3.15, and I'm hoping that the key to that will be the P&D midweek long runs. I'm not sure yet what the target will be (Berlin is still over 9 months away!) but that's roughly the plan.

Otherwise I hope to do lots of races this year and first up will be the Tom Brennan 5k on New Years Day. I had an interesting race in the Jingle Bells 5k just before Christmas - I couldn't get on the pace and gave up on a sub-20 minute time after 3k. At that stage I was passed by a girl from Raheny Shamrocks and for the next 2k I just concentrated on trying to stay ahead of her and ignored the watch, finishing with the fastest km split I've ever run in a race. For Sunday then I just plan on starting hard (for me!), and then finding someone fast to chase after. It could go horribly wrong, but I do think I need to learn how to race and there's only one way to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Good luck with your goals, similar enough to my own.

I think that this is the 1st time I've ever been fit to race on New Years Day but it's a super way to start the year! No booze last night (had enough the night before) and was up early this morning. Got to registration about 40 mins before race start, picked up my number and did about 4k warm up. The plan was to try and be aggressive with my pacing but again I struggled with this. I started fast and checked my Garmin after about 400m and I was on 3.35 pace - far too fast for me. I eased back, but too much and ended up going through the 1st k in 4.00 flat. I stayed on that pace through my 2nd k was feeling pretty strong at that stage. It was a 2 lap course and the 3rd k was into the breeze up a slight hill on the Furze Rd - I expected to slow a bit there and duly did, hitting 3k in 12.05. Tried to pick it up for the last 2k but found that I had nothing in the tank and ended up running pretty steady to the end, finishing in 20.06. The race itself was well run, some of the corners were a bit tight but overall I'd say well done to Liffey Valley AC.

My last three 5ks have now been 19.43, 19.56 and 20.06, and given that this is my 1st race after the Christmas excesses I'm pretty happy with my run. After the race I weighed myself for the 1st time in about 2 months and have gone up to 72.5kg (I was 71.0 for much of 2011). Not a huge increase, but since the Liverpool marathon last October I've been haphazard with the training. I am however in better shape than this time last year and looking forward to the year ahead. Not sure what my next race will be, thinking of the 10k race in the Heath in 3 weeks. Have decided to stay away from the CC and will focus on road running for the year.

15.34k in 1.21.10 around the Phoenix Park. Have decided that I'm going to try and run my long runs between 5.00 and 5.20 per km - want to get in the right habits for pacing my LSRs later in the year. Nice run, but was late getting out and nearly froze when the sun set. Must bring gloves tomorrow!

• Advertisement

7.59k recovery run in 42:23. Ended up doing a few quick kms in yesterdays run (freezin cold!) and combined with Sundays race it was enough to leave me with tired legs today. Nice and sensible today, legs will thank me later.

I also bought some new shoes yesterday - Saucony Triumphs from Runways. I usually use Brooks Glycerins but they were out of my size and the Saucony's felt great so decided to give them a shot. They were very clean and shiny (not any more!) but are also starting to wear on my instep - there could be blisters ahead:(

January to date: 3 runs, 32.9 km

Nice easy lunchtime run around a course at work. The loop is 4.5km, forgot the watch but nice to have some company again after two weeks of running solo.

January to date: 4 runs, 37.4 km

Thursday: Crap day at work, cold & windy outside - not sure which excuse I went for in the end but I copped out. No run today.

Friday: The work running group are still easing back in after the Christmas - nice easy 4.5km at lunch

Saturday: Had intended to try one of the McMillan workouts this weekend, but wasn't sure if today was the day. Visiting friends last night to see off the Christmas, too much wine, today is definitely not the day! New plan was a hangover clearing run, decided to bring the dog along also. Funny the effect on your pace - each spike in the pace matches a break for a pee, some sniffing or a squirrel! Not the best run, but hangover cleared and the dog was happy. Will try again tomorrow for the McMillan workout.

January to date: 6 runs, 49.9 km

3 pairs of shorts: 2 in the bag at work, 1 in the wash. Not brave enough to do a run in my tight lycra shorts, will just write off this weekend:(

8k at lunch time today including a 6.5k progression run in 28.50. We do this run each Monday and gradually pick up the pace. We start at close to 5 min/k and gradually pick it up til we're closer to 4 min/k. Today was the first since before Christmas and it was tough; before Christmas I was doing these 40 seconds faster and feeling much more comfortable. To be expected, but not enjoyable....

• Advertisement

4.5k recovery run at a nice slow pace (28 mins total) - lovely conditions out there! Yesterdays run was quite tough (slept v well last night!) - this was a nice jog to get the tiredness out of the legs.

Will have to rethink the training plan for the coming weeks. Had been thinking of launching into the McMillan 10k plan, but am now thinking that I'd be better off just building up my fitness again after Christmas. I also have a 2 week break from running in Feb (holidays!) so I think that I'll be just doing the usual sessions for the next few weeks and will save the 10k specific stuff for a race in March.

January to date: 8 runs, 62.4 km

Wednesday is fartlek day! My favourite session of the week, we have some "rules" on how this session goes: Start with a slow warm up, and after that the chef calls someone at random to lead the next leg. Each leg can be anything between 1 minute and 3 minutes and there's a strict 30 seconds recovery between each one. Usually we try and keep the pace in check at the start as it inevitably goes up as the session progresses. Todays splits were:
    2.1 km warm up
    1 minute 53, average pace of 5:02 min/km
    1:17, average 4:54/km
    1:17, average 4:54/km
    1:10, average 4:41/km
    1:38, average 4:43/km
    2:31, average 4:27/km
    3:01, average 4:39/km
    1:16, average 4:32/km
    1:02, average 4:03/km
    1:01, average 4:16/km
    1:00, average 4:05/km
    1:53, average 4:05/km
    1:34, average 3:58/km
    750 metre warm down.

It's a super session and the strict 30 seconds interval makes sure that this is a proper workout.

January to date: 9 runs, 70.5 km

Have been pretty slack updating this log of late. Since last Wednesday it's been a case of:

Thursday: up the walls with a work deadline - no run.
    Friday: Hills session with the work running group. This consists of 2.5k warm up, with some strides at the end before starting the hill. The hill we use is about 380 metres long and we do 5 reps at 1:30 each, jogging down in between. It's an interesting session - the focus is on strengthening so we keep the pace in check. We could go faster, but that would turn the focus to cardio and we already have that with the fartlek and tempo runs earlier in the week. That's the theory anyways! 2.5k jog back to the changing rooms, 7k in total.
    Saturday: Wrecked from a tough weeks work - rest!
    Sunday: Had planned on doing around 20k today but crap night sleep, still tired and didn't really feel up to it. Also got 3 good sessions in this week so decided to take it easy and take the dog for a stop/start 7.6k run around the Phoenix Park. Lovely out there, felt great afterwards!:)

January to date: 11 runs, 85.1k

Today's Monday which means 6.5k progression run which we did in 28.55. That's 5 seconds slower than last week, but it felt much easier - finally getting the Christmas festivities out of the system.

Today was also my first day this year to cycle to work. Have been pretty lazy of late and just getting in the car. It's 8k each way so I've no excuses, will try and get back doing that every day.

January to date: 12 runs, 93.1k

4.5k recovery run, beautiful conditions out there. Also cycled in today, will try and get back in the habit of doing this every day.

January to date: 13 runs, 97.6k

Fartlek session today, pretty tough going. The course was the same as usual (8.1k) but the mid-length legs (around 2 minutes) had a real bite to them. Am pretty sure there'll be no problems sleeping tonight!

January to date: 14 runs, 105.7k

Accidentally ended up in the local craft beer joint last night, had a few very tasty glasses of kwak. A lovely beer, but didn't feel too clever this morning. Went for a recovery run today at lunch, a nice 4.5k to clear out the cobwebs and was needed after yesterdays fartlek.

Had originally intended to do the Heath 10k on Sunday but family stuff has knocked that on the head. Instead will do the BHAA 5mile XC on Saturday. Popped into Runways on the way home, bought my first ever pair of spikes. They're outrageously loud so will be expecting great things from them:)

January to date: 15 runs, 110.2k

Rest day today seeing as I've a race tomorrow and have trained the last 5 days. Not sure what time to go for tomorrow, will probably go for 34 mins and see how I'm feeling on the day.

Have also had a good week on the bike. Wanted to get back in the habit of cycling to work each day and did that - 75k of cycling.

Wasn't too sure what to expect from this one as I do very little XC. My PB on the road is 33.28, but it was tough out there today. A strong wind, some testing hills but it was lovely under foot conditions. Started off at 4.15 pace and felt good at that. Decided to try and sit on that pace and was rock solid for the first 5k, within 1 second of that pace for each km. The 6th k was a toughie, into the breeze and the pace was taking it's toll - 4.30 for that one. Dug in for the last 2k, splits of 4.10 and 4.05 to finish in 34 flat.

All in all, I'm delighted with this race. The concentration was good, I never relaxed and was attacking the course throughout. In tough conditions I finished about 30 seconds off my road PB, so will definitely be trying to lower that this year. And I love my new spikes!:)

It almost goes without saying that it was another well organised BHAA race, thumbs up to the organisers.

January to date: 16 runs, 119.7k

Quite times since the race. Was travelling on Sun/Mon, no running done at all. Joined the work group at lunch today for a recovery 4.5k. Didn't have anything to recover from, but it was nice to get out.

January to date: 17 runs, 124.2k

• Advertisement

Fartlek at lunchtime today, felt pretty comfortable throughout but when I sat back down to my desk, I knew I'd been working. The wind was quite tough in parts and for those legs we kept the duration down to about 1 minute. Due to other stuff this will be my only tough session of the week, but happy with it all the same.

January to date: 18runs, 132.3k

The usual 4.5k recovery run, it was very welcome today. The legs were very tired from fartlek/cycling in that horrible wind yesterday. Feeling much better from that:)

January to date: 19 runs, 136.8k

First update in a long time! Late January I did an 8.1k fartlek session and a 4.5k recovery run. That brought me to 21 runs for the month and a total of 149.4k. A bit down on last year (111 miles) but have gotten in a couple of short weekend races (instead of long runs) so I'm not too bothered.

Early Feb I did an 8k ramble cross country with the dog, before disappearing on holidays for 2 weeks. I did bring the runners with me, but never had any serious intentions of using them. Decision was made for me when I saw the roads in rural Costa Rica - spectacularly bumpy! I'd have sprained one of my dodgy ankles in no time, decided it was better to stick to the 4x4! I'd also highly recommend Costa Rica to anyone looking to get away from it all. Beautiful countryside, ridiculous amounts of wildlife & loads of fresh food. Loved it:)

Arrived back early Sunday, spent the day trying to stay awake. Felt great today and went for my first run in 17 days - another 8k ramble with the dog. The start was horrible - cold, miserable, but felt great after a few k. Am half thinking of doing the UCD 5k race at the weekend, but will wait to see how the week progresses before signing up.

A nice easy 5k today, still just getting back into it after the holidays but feeling good. Have some friends doing the UCD 5k on Saturday so have entered that also. Will be going in with low expectations but we'll see how it goes!

Today was fartlek, the usual 8k route. Conditions were tough in spots - got hit by a pig of a wind in some places! The individual fartlek legs were the usual mix of 1min to 3min, but today there seemed to be more longer ones. This was my first session in 3 weeks and was feeling a bit rough at the start. However after 3-4 legs something seemed to click and I felt good for the rest of the session. Looking forward now to the race at the weekend!

Recovery day today which is usually a 4.5k easy loop around work. A couple of us are also doing the UCD race at the weekend so we included a recce of that course, brought the run up to an easy 7k in 42mins. Looking forward to the weekends race. There's a tight turn at the end of the starting straight but it should be ok unless the numbers are much higher than previous years. Otherwise the course rolls along, a few hills (nothing much) and what looks like a fairly fast finishing k.

YTD: 185.4k

Doing the UCD 5k in the morning so skipped todays hill session. Instead it was a nice easy 4.5k, should hopefully be nice and fresh for the morning. No idea of what to expect from tomorrows race. No running for 2.5 weeks but feeling good and looking forward to the race. We'll know more by 12.20 tomorrow!

YTD: 189.9k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good luck with the race tomorrow!

UCD 5k race report
    Thought I had my race prep sorted at this stage but not so! Got up early, had my porridge, arrived in UCD 45 mins before start and picked up my race no etc. Chatted to a few people before heading to the changing room to find that I had packed two left running shoes! Was obviously half asleep packing my bag, but a bit of a disaster. My office however was close by and I had another pair there; legged it and got out on the course at 7 minutes to 12. Warm up was about 500 metres with a few strides - not ideal! Was obviously a bit flustered as I missed the start button on my watch, ended up running blind. As expected, I was rusty from the holidays and definitely struggled in the 2nd half of the race. I missed the clock at the end but I suspect I ran around 20.20.
    All in all, it was a really well run race with an excellent atmosphere; for me though it was one to forget. From now on I'll take a lot more care packing my race gear :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Lock

Not a bad run considering your wardrobe mishap. Well done!

Advertisement