Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

construction management jobs in the mines in oz

Options
  • 30-12-2011 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

just a quick question about the money side of it,a friend was telling me there are 6 levels of pay across the board in working in the mines in oz,could any 1 tell me which 1 do i fall under (have a level 8 in construction management,just finished this year with 10 years site experience) and also what are the 6 levels and what pay bracket have each of them,also what would be expected out of me working the first few months in the mines as im getting a start over there in may of this year,with no site experience of mine work

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mate I can imagine your on a mobile but a full stop now and again like?

There are people in the mines on this site, a decently worded post can increase your chances of them thinking of PMing you.

Best of luck (I know squat about mining)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

I'd really appreciate if someone could copy and paste any PM to me too. I qualified in Mechanical Engineering, and I'm working as a project manager in renewables construction at the moment, very adaptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭someday2010

I've never heard of 6 levels of pay. You get what you negotiate or at least what the market is paying. It can be difficult to get your first job in Mining construction work but needless to say everyone that works in that area is very well paid indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sky 1

any more info on this subject would be great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

What websites advertise these jobs many thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Hey Sky1,

We have placed people in jobs in Australia across all sectors from trades to engineers and including companies operating in the mining sector.

Like Someday2010, I have never come across specific levels of pay. It comes down to how good your negotiation skills are.

Word of warning, there are many bogus jobs posted by recruitment companies advertising fantastic jobs with great money - beware of this as for many cases they are looking to get your CV and then see what real jobs they have.

Many companies involved on the Gorgan project have been known to do this too - advertise bogus jobs to build up a host of CVs of potential applicants that they could call on if needed. They do this especially when bidding for work.

Make sure the job is a real job.

Hope this helps.

Declan Clune

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

I think what you might be talking about are the rates of pay that "wages" employees get as agreed by the unions, i.e CW4, CW5, CW6.
    CW means 'construction worker' and the ranks go up a few dollars as the numbers increase. I think highly skilled tradesmen like plumbers get CW5 which is around $40 per hour.
    You won't be dealing with these rate if you are in management as you will be on a salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sky 1

ok, next question i have is there any companys i can deal with that only cover mine work,that i might be able to send my cv off too

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Have a look at seek.com.au to see which agencies advertise for your job area.

What your friend may be talking about is the payscales within companies and that will be different for every company. There is a big financial difference between someone on entry level and level 6. Your qualifications plus experience will determine where you sit. And if you get good results in your performance reviews you will move up levels. Where my OH works they also have the 6 payscales.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

sky 1 wrote: »
    just a quick question about the money side of it,a friend was telling me there are 6 levels of pay across the board in working in the mines in oz,could any 1 tell me which 1 do i fall under (have a level 8 in construction management,just finished this year with 10 years site experience) and also what are the 6 levels and what pay bracket have each of them,also what would be expected out of me working the first few months in the mines as im getting a start over there in may of this year,with no site experience of mine work

As per any industry and/or company back home and as mentioned in other responses the salary you'll get is a compromise between what you want and what a company is prepared to pay for you. As a "manager" you may fall into a sliding scale of sorts and your salary would increase via performance reviews etc.
    I work in construction management/engineering in the mines and can say that i have seen guys come through with different companies on hugely differing salaries ranging from $80,000 to $300,000 depending on the size of the company, their roster on FIFO, the size of the project and their own particular role in the company.
    If you have been working for 10 years as a project manager with a "respected" contractor in Ireland, are prepared to go FIFO and get a job with a tier 1 or tier 2 contractor you should be hitting $200,000, however if you have been on site for 10 years in a junior role and only just qualified as a project manager you may have to knock $100k off that figure!
    Honestly, it will come down to what you bring to the party and a splash of luck.
    Try seek.com.au and good luck..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 MountainRunner

Hey there, interesting thread; I'm just wondering about the jobs advertised on seek.au, I presume that any company worth it's salt is not going to offer a position based on the strength of your CV alone, where are the interviews generally held, for example, were you required to travel to a central location for an interview or was it conducted via an online portal - Skype etc., and also what was the time period from offer to acceptance to the subsequent start?

Advertisement