Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place in the world to live in to avoid future unrest?

Options
  • 30-12-2011 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

With the ever increasing world population along with the ever diminishing natural resources and the unhappy prospect of increased global warming and chaotic weather patterns I think it's safe to say that major unrest in the future is inevitable.

So, what would be the best place on earth to live in so as to reduce the prospects of unpleasantness (riots, famines, looting, outbreaks of disease, wars etc)?

Off the top of my head I'm going to go with New Zealand. It has good agricultural land, abundant supplies of water, a small population with a large herd of animals. It's very isolated and it also has a large mountain range in the south island. The people are educated, they speak english and it's very easy for Irish people to emigrate there. It has many hydro-electric plants as well as geothermal plants whilst having no nuclear power plant. The only obvious drawback I can think of is the threat of earthquakes but apart from the recent ones that struck Christchurch they tend to avoid major ones.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Since its population and social problems that are a concern, I'm guessing you want a nice first world fully developed country in which to ride out potential future shortages, raise a family and still enjoy a modern lifestyle.

...Iceland or Norway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

There can be unrest anywhere there are people, I don't see what's wrong with staying put here in Ireland? We don't do protesting, so civil unrest? Fat chance, what's on the Telly?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

There is a story or parable about this...
    Once a Frenchman who decided he had enough of the sickening sights of war in World war one in France decided he would move to a place where no one would fight for or be intrested in ever going there,or conquering.
    It had no natural resources worth fighting for ,was in the middle of the Pacific,and had an old and occasionally visited ship coaling station,abit off the main shipping lanes too.In fact, it was a volcanic rock with nothing worth anything on it,bar being a desert island paradise...
    In 1930 somthing, with the prospect of the second war starting in Europe....He moved his family to IWO JIMA!:eek::eek:.

In the Cold war of the 60s my grandparents who had survived the Russian invasion of Berlin,fled to West Germany and were convinced that the Red menace was going to sweep over the West German borders and all before it before the nukes started to fall on Europes capitals figured Ireland would have been a fine place to hole up in.[As did apprently the Swiss govt too,they had plans and a location in Meath[?] for a Swiss govt in exile as our declassified Irish Govt papers revealed last year.:)].

However,INMHO opinion it was proably the worst choice to sit out WW3.
    Being downwind from a potential nuke target 15 miles away.[Shannon airport],I doubt very much that Ivan or Uncle Sam would have given two FKs for "Irish neutrality" had either made a move to either deny or utilise Shannon,for a staging post or invade to use as a long range bomber base out into the Atlantic.Not to mind all our other goodies that are still useful here, or were then.As well as being a most archaic,retro society run by both Pope and most conservative Irish parliment.With huge social problems starting to brew in NI..I would have thought this was the worst place in Europe this side of the Iron curtain to flee to..:eek:

Point is;what might look like an ideal country might become some of the most contested bit of real estate in the next conflict or whatever.Who would have thought that a rock a mile wide and two{?} miles long would become one of the most bloodiest battlegrounds in the Pacific??
    Or that one of the most sophisticated tech societies in the world would have a radiation problem as bad as Cherrnobyl in its Northernmost island after same earthquake that hit NZ??
    You know what the problems are here and what are the most likely scenarios to happen as well,so wouldnt it be better to work on avoiding/preparing for them on your home ground?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

re ; it's very easy for Irish people to emmigrate there. I wish it was. To retire there you need well over 500,000euro, have your own health insurance and only granted temporary residence. To go as a worker, ,its like ozzi, As the climate here is miserable and the ecomony is getting worse i am looking at countries where they speak english have an nhs type system and its not so damp. The more you do here,the more tax etc they take off you,the less you try,the more they give you, and the wealthier you are ,the wealthier the wealthier you become. There has to be somewhere better to live. We put people in power who look after their own needs and use to to fill their cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

No earthquakes, monsoons hurricanes to kill ya.

Nothing big to eat ya, nothing small to bite ya, mostly. (The neighbours dog... first on my foraging list;))

Never too hot, rarely too cold,if you know how to light a fire.

Plenty of water to drink.

Plenty of food to forage, has been self sufficient in food production in the past, and grows nearly enough food to feed its current population, so no real food issues in the long term (prep for short term food riots and shortages).

Perfect climate for potatoes the ultimate survival garden item. Stock up on the copper suphate.

People problems? Maybe, but mostly i think people would be off back down to mammy and the bit of an acre and her brown bread...
    And in reality there would be rural communities that could still manage to pull together rather than fall apart.

I staying put.:D

• Advertisement

[
    QUOTE=bonniebede;76246714]Plenty of food to forage, has been self sufficient in food production in the past, and grows nearly enough food to feed its current population, so no real food issues in the long term (prep for short term food riots and shortages).

Perfect climate for potatoes the ultimate survival garden item. Stock up on the copper suphate.

Big problem was that a monocrop of spuds.And now it is mostly a monocrop of grass to feed cattle.So reconverting land to arable crops is going to be a biggie.Weather isnt the best here either for wheat in the last decade.Not to mind the infrastructure for miling flour and baking bread is kind of well..gone here too.:( Yeah,expect trouble with food supplies.

People problems? Maybe, but mostly i think people would be off back down to mammy and the bit of an acre and her brown bread...
    And in reality there would be rural communities that could still manage to pull together rather than fall apart.
    People problem the big one hereINMHO.Quaint idea that Townies living in sink estates will go home to Mammy and her brown bread.Last time these were in the country was four generations ago!!!
    Mammy in some cases might be 21 and Gran is 35!!:eek:.Between them their cooking and baking skillsmight be opening a packet of oven ready chips and a packet of biscuts for their ten kids and grandkids between them.Work..Whats dha??Great grandad did that once in the 1960s shure! 3 generations living on dole and social welfare allowances in corpo housing...And one day the dole stops,the local shop is closed or the dole euros is worthless...How long before that all boils over???
    BIG problems that one for Ireland and the UK.

Good call.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

i am not sure but i think the forum rules would frown on me discussing cannibalism as a survival strategy, so I can't really formulate an answer to that one, grizzly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

With the ever increasing world population along with the ever diminishing natural resources and the unhappy prospect of increased global warming and chaotic weather patterns I think it's safe to say that major unrest in the future is inevitable.

So, what would be the best place on earth to live in so as to reduce the prospects of unpleasantness (riots, famines, looting, outbreaks of disease, wars etc)?

Off the top of my head I'm going to go with New Zealand. It has good agricultural land, abundant supplies of water, a small population with a large herd of animals. It's very isolated and it also has a large mountain range in the south island. The people are educated, they speak english and it's very easy for Irish people to emigrate there. It has many hydro-electric plants as well as geothermal plants whilst having no nuclear power plant. The only obvious drawback I can think of is the threat of earthquakes but apart from the recent ones that struck Christchurch they tend to avoid major ones.

What do you think?

Good news Ireland is fourth lowest risk country in World from climate change according to this atlas from Maplecroft?

A new global ranking, calculating the vulnerability of 170 countries to the impacts of climate change over the next 30 years, identifies some of the world’s largest and fastest-growing economies, including India, as facing the greatest risks to their populations, ecosystems and business environments.
    The new Climate Change Vulnerability Index (CCVI), released by global risks advisory firm Maplecroft, enables organisations to identify areas of risk within their operations, supply chains and investments. It evaluates 42 social, economic and environmental factors to assess national vulnerabilities across three core areas. These include: exposure to climate-related natural disasters and sea-level rise; human sensitivity, in terms of population patterns, development, natural resources, agricultural dependency and conflicts; thirdly, the index assesses future vulnerability by considering the adaptive capacity of a country’s government and infrastructure to combat climate change.
    The index rates 16 countries as ‘extreme risk,’ including nations that represent new Asian economic power and possess significant forecasted growth. Bangladesh (1), India (2), Philippines (6), Vietnam (13) and Pakistan (16) all feature in the highest risk category and are of particular importance as they are major contributors to the ongoing global economic recovery and are vital to the future expansion of Western businesses in particular.
    “These countries are attracting high levels of foreign investment from many multinational organisations,” said Principal Environmental Analyst at Maplecroft, Dr Matthew Bunce. “However, over the next 30 years their vulnerability to climate change will rise due to increases in air temperature, precipitation and humidity. This means organisations with operations or assets in these countries will become more exposed to associated risks, such as climate-related natural disasters, resource security and conflict. Understanding climate vulnerability will help companies make their investments more resilient to unexpected change.”
    Other countries featuring in the ‘extreme risk’ category include: Madagascar (3), Nepal (4), Mozambique (5), Haiti (7), Afghanistan (8), Zimbabwe (9), Myanmar (10), Ethiopia (11), Cambodia (12), Thailand (14) and Malawi (15). According to Maplecroft, the countries with the most risk are characterised by high levels of poverty, dense populations, exposure to climate-related events; and their reliance on flood and drought prone agricultural land. Africa features strongly in this group, with the continent home to 12 out of the 25 countries most at risk.

snip---
    There are 11 countries considered ‘low risk’ in the index, with Norway (170), Finland (169), Iceland (168), Ireland (167), Sweden (166) and Denmark (165) performing the best. However, Russia (117), USA (129), Germany (131), France (133) and the UK (138) are all rated as ‘medium risk’ countries, whilst China (49), Brazil (81) and Japan (86) feature in the ‘high risk’ category.

ccvi_map.jpg
    http://maplecroft.com/about/news/ccvi.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

If its global warming you're worried about just go to Antarctica and sit it out till the brave new world appears below you.

any day now

bonniebede wrote: »
    i am not sure but i think the forum rules would frown on me discussing cannibalism as a survival strategy, so I can't really formulate an answer to that one, grizzly.

The ultimate survival skill!!:D;) And approved by the Christian Bible too.:D
    So we'll give the Andean plane crash survival ordeal a miss then???:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Tastes like chicken.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    The ultimate survival skill!!:D;) And approved by the Christian Bible too.:D
    So we'll give the Andean plane crash survival ordeal a miss then???:rolleyes:

on the contrary, a favourite book of mine.

A very tasty read. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Good news Ireland is fourth lowest risk country in World from climate change according to this atlas from Maplecroft?
    That's a weird map - the Amazon basin is a depressed area which would be gone pretty quickly, the Phillippines is largely elevated, as is Central Africa, and Ireland is basically bowl shaped, it wouldn't take much to flood the midlands. This is a good tool to spot the effects of sea level rises, but not exactly accurate either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

bonniebede wrote: »
    No earthquakes, monsoons hurricanes to kill ya.

Nothing big to eat ya, nothing small to bite ya, mostly. (The neighbours dog... first on my foraging list;))

Never too hot, rarely too cold,if you know how to light a fire.

Plenty of water to drink.

Plenty of food to forage, has been self sufficient in food production in the past, and grows nearly enough food to feed its current population, so no real food issues in the long term (prep for short term food riots and shortages).

in the bins at the back of Tesco's???

you got to love the area we are in... (East Germany), lots of cherry trees, apple trees, pear trees, etc. etc.. growing all around the place, we had the most enjoyable time eating fresh cherries, pears and apples... in the spring and summer months..

Advertisement