If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Monitor Audio BXW-10 and Yamaha V667 - recommend setup

Options
  • 30-12-2011 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi guys,

I bought a surround sound system from you about a year ago and finally moved into a place where I can use the sub that I got. However, I've tried to set it up but to no avail - it just wont seem to work. The light just stays red at the bottom right of the front. Can you please advise how you would recommend to set this sub up with the Yamaha RX-V667.

The system is as follows:
    Yamaha V667
    BXCentre
    Pair of BX2
    BXW-10

I also have a pair of the BX-FX but looking to get above setup first before adding BX-FX (I also have to work out where best to install in the new place).

I've tried numerous configurations and various settings but nothing has worked. When I plug the mic into the AVR for the autosetup it doesnt recognise that the sub is there so I try to add manually. But I guess this means that the sub isn't connected correctly. Really appreciate if you could advise.

Also, I'll be in the market and looking for a 40-50" LED 3D TV. Haven't had a chance to look properly yet, but would be looking for passive 3D TV, nothing particularly flash (not concerned about smart TV or aesthetics), but something with decent picture and good resolution. Will have a look to see what sort of offers you have and come back to you on this.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

@ucdier,

Just a helpful hint - the guys at Richersounds might be better able to advise you if you could say how you've connected the sub and speakers to the Yamaha, i.e. which cables you've used and "whats connected to what".

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ucdier

Hi Ritz,

I've tried a few configurations and played around with the settings on the AVR based on various posts I've seen, but hadn't put up the different ways I've tried to connect it as I wanted to know what was the recommended default way to set it up.

However, happy to share. I think the following is the way it should connect but doesn't seem to be working:

To the BXW-10 sub I've connected as per photo below (Pic 1)
    - connected cable to LFE IN (cables as supplied by you guys as well - came as a pair)
    - connected power cord to socket
    - volume set to around 10 o clock position (I've tried this at various settings - hence shown different in photo)
    - crossover frequency control to 90Hz (Again, I've tried this at various settings - hence shown different in photo. But guess this shouldn't make any difference as I'm using LFE input and therefore it should be controlled by AVR right?)
    - phase control switch to 0
    - power mode switch to on
    - mains power switch on

To the Yamaha AVR I've connected the sub as per second photo below:
    - connected cable to 'SUBWOOFER 1' in 'PRE OUT' section

In addition to above, I've tried a variation using the lead for 12 volt trigger input also. It made no difference. (Also, the pin seems to go in at a slightly offset angle into the back of the sub). But I guess the only addition this would have would be that the sub would turn itself off when not in use?

I don't suppose I could have set something incorrectly on the AVR so that it's not picking it up now? Is there a way to restore default settings on the Yamaha? Although I would have thought by using the YPAO microphone and the autosetup it should be able to pick it up. But it doesn't.

Cheers

Pic 1:
    SUB.jpg

Pic 2:
    AVR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I've not owned a Yamaha but I assume you have followed the settings for the sub and 667 in terms of connections and initial values per the manuals.

Given, this the next thing to do is always use the AUTO set-up and ensure the speakers are set to SMALL.

When I set-up my own MA Speakers and Sub with a Denon it took me a few attempts to get the SUB picked up and some tweaking of the Sub volume was needed (9-10 o'clock) a few times and looking at what the sub manual suggested and also the amp manual in terms of initial settings and finding a mix that worked between them as there was often some differences.

Also just taken from the online manual:

186632.JPG

Hopefully something easy...:)

Hi eddiem74,

Thanks for suggestions.

Yes, I think I’ve followed settings for the sub and 667. I’ve laid out the procedure in painstaking detail below. Apologies for the ramblings. I thought by doing this I might find the problem myself.

According to the 667 manual the main steps are as follows:

Step 1A
    Connect the subwoofer input jack to the SUBWOOFER 1 or 2 jack on the Yamaha 667 with an audio pin cable. I have used one of the stereo audio cables (insert link) – a pair of which I purchased with system from richersounds. I’ve inserted one end of one of them into SUBWOOFER 1 jack on the Yamaha 667.

Step 2A
    Set the subwoofer volume as follows:
    Volume: set to approx half (or slightly less than half)
    Crossover Frequency: set to max
    So I’ve set volume to 11 o clock position and crossover frequency to 150 Hz (as this is the max on the BXW-10)

Step 3A (not sub specific)
    3.1 Check unit, TV, sub
    3.2 Place YPAO at ear height
    3.3 Turn on receiver
    3.4 Connect YPAO
    3.5 On screen, select ‘measure’, then ‘enter’ – performs measurement and displays result.

According to the Monitor Audio BXW-10 sub manual the main steps are as follows:

There are two possibilities for input – 2 x stereo, 1 x LFE. All 3 are RCA connection. As I am connecting to a Yamaha 667 (and not a stereo amplifier), I presume I should follow instructions for using the LFE input on the sub (is this correct?). Also, by using this, the crossover frequency shouldn’t matter, as the crossover function being controlled by the AV amplifier (Yamaha 667) to which it is connected.

Even though this is the case, suggested settings are provided for the cross over frequency. They are as follows:

Type of Main Speaker
    Monitor Audio Product Crossover
    Control Setting
    Small stand-mount/ bookshelf speaker RX1; BX1/2; R225HD/250HD;R oneHD 60-90 Hz

(Theres a more extensive list but I’ve only included this as I have pair of BX2’s). Thus there is a conflict – as the Yamaha 667 manual suggests setting it to 150Hz and the BXW-10 sub is suggesting to set it lower at 60-90Hz. I think the hierarchy is the Yamaha so I’ve set it to max of 150Hz. Plus, shouldn’t this just mean that it kicks in more often? (Although not really as the cross over is set in the Yamaha 667 menu).

Volume Control – Advice as follows: Start with the volume at a low level and increase the level control until a balanced sound is established. If using an AV processor or AV receiver amplifier, the system can be adjusted by the test tone function within the set-up features. (Refer to the set up section in the AV processor or AV receiver amplifier user guide.)
    Thus I’ve used the recommended setting of 11 o clock as per Yamaha 667 manual.

Phase Control Switch – Advice as follows: it should be noted that in most cases the phase control switch should be set to 0 degrees, especially when using a digital AV processor or AV receiver amplifier.
    Thus I’ve set it to 0 degrees.

Power Mode Switch with On-Auto-Off Facility
    I’ve switched this to on.
    (Should the LED immediately go to green to indicate it is operational? Or will it only go green when it is ‘on’ AND it receives a signal? (e.g. test signal from auto setup procedure with the YPAO mic)).

12 Volt Trigger Input ~ Centre Pin = +12Vdc
    Monitor Audio recommend using this function and a lead is supplied. This 12 volt signal is supplied by the AV amp/receiver and tells the BXW-10 to turn on from standby mode. This allows a more accurately controlled auto on/off function, and is far more energy efficient. When using the 12v trigger, the Power Mode Switch (7) can be in any of the three positions, for it to function correctly.
    I’ve not connected this and won’t bother trying until its up and running. Unfortunately at the moment it is very energy efficient as it aint working at all.

Its plugged in.

Summary

So I’ve set it up as best with the guidance from both manuals.
    - Using 1 cable (stereo audio cable) to connect ‘Subwoofer 1’ jack on the ‘PRE-OUT’ section of the Yamaha receiver to the ‘LFE IN’ at the back of the sub.
    - Set volume to 11 o clock position (on sub)
    - Set cross over frequency to max 150Hz (on sub)
    - Turned on the sub (its plugged in, mains power switch is on, power mode switch set to ‘on’) and a red LED comes on to indicate standby mode at the front, and the LED at the back is red.
    - Turned on the Yahama 667 – standby screen appears on TV
    - Inserted YPAO microphone into front of Yamaha 667 for autosetup
    - Pressed enter on remote to start – it selects ‘Measure’ in on screen menu for autosetup
    - It then finds my front left, centre, and front right, but not my sub.

So basic setup according to the manuals doesn’t seem to work for me. Now onto some variations to standard suggested settings.

Variation 1: Changing crossover frequency to 80Hz. (Now within recommended range as per BXW-10 manual)
    - I changed crossover setting on back of sub to 80 Hz
    - (I didtn turn anything of and on again – presume there is no need?)
    - I then performed ‘Measure’ step again. Still doesn’t pick up sub.

Variation 2: Change to Subwoofer 2 on AVR
    - Turned off Yahama 667
    - Turned off sub
    - Took out cable from ‘Subwoofer 1’ and inserted into ‘Subwoofer 2’
    - Repeated as per summary above
    - Still doesn’t pick up sub
    Variation 3: Used different cable to connect sub and Yamaha 667.
    Variation 4: Used different socket for plugging in sub to main power.
    Variation 5: Tried to setup the sub manually and then played BD to check.

None of the above worked.

Note that I am using Philips stereo audio cable that I purchased with system:
    http://www.philipsshop.ie/Spec%20Sheets/swa3523_10_pss_eng.pdf

Am I doing something wrong with the cables hooking-up the sub to the Yamaha 667?

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

While waiting on RS to comeback I would suggest you make a post on this forum here as there are many Yamaha owners which might offer some advice. You should be able to copy/paste most of what you have posted here.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

Could it be something as simple as a faulty rca cable? No harm in checking it out maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭zarkov

I had a similar problem with a much older Yamaha AV Receiver some years ago. Even though the menu setting for sub-woofer was enabled no sound would come from the sub while the main speakers setting was set to large (the menu settings for the main speakers could be set to small or large). There were two solutions - change the sub-woofer output setting to both (main & sub) or change the main speaker setting to small.

@eddiem74

Thanks. Yeah, I've looked up articles on this before and done a search for my issue but found nothing. I've just signed up so will get a post up there later today.

@Sapele

I'd be very happy if this was the problem. The cables haven't been used for anything else and were new from the box. I thought of that, and tried to use both cables in case it was that either one of them was faulty. Is it likely that both cables from a new box would be faulty? Any other easy way of checking the cables on something else?

@zarkov

I'm not sure how I change the subwoofer setting to both main and sub? I don't think I've seen this option in the settings menu.
    But I have set all of the speakers to small (both by trying the autosetup, and this is the way I configured it when I did it manually - always setting the speakers to small).

Cheers for suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭zarkov

There's a setting in my receiver for LFE/BASS OUT that can be set to main/sub/both.

zarkov wrote: »
    There's a setting in my receiver for LFE/BASS OUT that can be set to main/sub/both.

I'd say the old Yamaha setting to LFE out via main speakers or the sub output has been superseded on the Yamaha V667 by having the option to set the bass cross over frequency? I've set this at 90Hz so it should be basically doing the same thing as setting LFE out to sub output? So signal should be sent to sub also - its not.

• Advertisement

Hey guys - any suggestions on this issue?

I've been trying to ring you the last couple of days but haven't been able to get through.

Cheers

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Ucdier.

Sorry for our delay in getting back to you.

Just a quick check for you before I get the manual out on this!

Normal when connecting a sub up we would use the Line inputs on the rear rather then "LFE IN". This might sound silly but hae you tried using one of these inputs to see if the sub gives sound?

Let me know if this does not work.

Hi Ucdier.

Sorry for our delay in getting back to you.

Just a quick check for you before I get the manual out on this!

Normal when connecting a sub up we would use the Line inputs on the rear rather then "LFE IN". This might sound silly but hae you tried using one of these inputs to see if the sub gives sound?

Let me know if this does not work.

Hi Kenny

No probs, busy time for you guys no doubt.

Yeah. I've tried that already. Doesn't make any difference. Still no sound from the sub, nor does AVR pick it up in auto setup.

Cheers

Hi Ucdier.

Another little thing to try for me please.

I'm just trying to narrow it down between the sub and the amp as from reading all of the above the settings are correct.

If you unplug the sub cable from the rear of the amp and while it is connected to the sub turn on the power to the sub. If when touching your finger to the top of the sub lead you get noise from the sub then at least we know th sub is infact working.

Reading below there was a point made about turning your front speakers to small in the amp menu. Did you perform this operation?

Hi Ucdier.

Another little thing to try for me please.

I'm just trying to narrow it down between the sub and the amp as from reading all of the above the settings are correct.

If you unplug the sub cable from the rear of the amp and while it is connected to the sub turn on the power to the sub. If when touching your finger to the top of the sub lead you get noise from the sub then at least we know th sub is infact working.

Reading below there was a point made about turning your front speakers to small in the amp menu. Did you perform this operation?

I tried this again Kenny (someone had suggested this on a different forum). But no sound from the sub. Tried it with two different cables (although from the same box) and it made no difference. Still no sound. So looks like it could be the sub?

Yeah. I have all the speakers set to small.

HMM :confused:

Yeah sounds like the sub is not happy.

Where abouts in the country are you? This will give me the answer to how best to have this corrected for you :D

Where abouts in the country are you? This will give me the answer to how best to have this corrected for you :D

In Dublin

ucdier wrote: »

In Dublin

And I still have original packaging if that makes a difference.

Would it be possible for you to drop it into the Philips Shop on the corner of Dame street?

We could have it tested there and then, if we arrange a day for you to call when one of our repair guys would be there. This is not too important as you could drop it in any day that suits you.

If its faulty then we can look at getting you a replacement sent down to your home address (or work address) or the sub fixed. Although from your posts it seems that this is the first time it has been out of the box which would push me to exchange it rather than fix a faulty brand new product!

Would it be possible for you to drop it into the Philips Shop on the corner of Dame street?

We could have it tested there and then, if we arrange a day for you to call when one of our repair guys would be there. This is not too important as you could drop it in any day that suits you.

If its faulty then we can look at getting you a replacement sent down to your home address (or work address) or the sub fixed. Although from your posts it seems that this is the first time it has been out of the box which would push me to exchange it rather than fix a faulty brand new product!

Yep. Sure can. They're open 1-5 tomorrow right? I can drop it in then.

Well. I took it out of the box when I got it. I'm pretty sure it worked. But then couldn't use it. So it's not been used other than for original setup. So say for an hour 11 months ago. So it is pretty much still brand new. Once it's up and working again I'd be happy!

• Advertisement

Yeah tomorrow would be fine.

They do indeed open 1PM - 5PM.

If you pop it back in its box it will keep it safe.

I've let them know you will be dropping into them.

Yeah tomorrow would be fine.

They do indeed open 1PM - 5PM.

If you pop it back in its box it will keep it safe.

I've let them know you will be dropping into them.

Great. Yep. I'll drop it in tomorrow. Thanks

Left the sub in with the lads in the Philips shop.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Received it no worries.
    I'll let Kenny know its here
    atb
    Ash

Hi Kenny,

Has one of your repair guys managed to get in and have a look at the sub yet?

Hey Ucdier.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

We got the sub tested today and it is indeed dead :(

We will call Monitor Audio on Monday to see how quickly they can send us a "NEW" amp for the sub sop we can fix it for you.
    I will be back in tocuh on Monday with an ETA on repair.

Hey Kenny,

No problem.

Thanks for testing it. At least the cause of the problem has been identified.

Is this something that happens from time to time? (I'm still relatively new to the world of AV). Have you been able to find our what caused the amp to die? As I said, I had barely used it - so was surprised to hear it was in fact the amp that had died.

Ok, look forward to update on ETA to repair.

Thanks again

Hi UCdier.

I have recieved your sub back to Belfast today and have ordered in a new Amp module with MA and it will be arriving on our next delviery around the start of next week.

As soon as it arrives we will fit it and get the sub back to The Philips Shop for you to collect. I will keep you updated every step of the way.

Ok. That's great. Thanks Kenny

• Advertisement

Hey Kenny,

Did you manage to get the new amp module in?

Cheers

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.