Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have €1500 to spend on a 'neo-classic for everyday use- suggestions?

• 30-12-2011 3:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

As the thread title says, I'm considering getting rid of the medium size van in favour of a car, I just dunno what car though, something not too modern (20ish years old)will suffice.
    All suggestions considered! Hit me!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

Somebody's bound to say a Merc but that would show a complete lack of imagination. And, quite frankly, they're dull. I would look for something that has future classic possibilities but is cheap now.

I had a BMW E21 a while back that cost feck all to buy and I have to say was a lot of fun to drive. Parts were expensive though and they seem to have crept up in value recently. Make a change from the later E30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Tigger wrote: »

That beemer is a beauty !!! Mind you road tax is almost the bloody price of it and I can't see it doing much with 20 mpg. Could I just buy it and leave it outside the front door and admire it :D:D

gfwd wrote: »
    Somebody's bound to say a Merc but that would show a complete lack of imagination. And, quite frankly, they're dull. I would look for something that has future classic possibilities but is cheap now.

I had a BMW E21 a while back that cost feck all to buy and I have to say was a lot of fun to drive. Parts were expensive though and they seem to have crept up in value recently. Make a change from the later E30.

It's a matter of opinion really , think the e21 are troublesome yokes or as my friend calls them B M Trouble you. Get yourself a nice early 80s coupe 123 merc and you'll have a decent classic with a top spec and you won't have to spend a lot on maintenance as they are bulletproof:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

If I wanted a pre-91 car, I'd be looking at the Mercedes W124, unbelievably well made, 3 bodystyles to choose from and a huge range of engines to suit any pocket. If you do a fair bit of mileage, I'd try and find a clean one with the OM606 diesel as they're unbreakable. If you want a petrol, they're all pretty good, the 24v 300E is my pick though if you can find a good one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Carina 2? Must be a half-decent one knocking around somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

As the thread title says, I'm considering getting rid of the medium size van in favour of a car, I just dunno what car though, something not too modern (20ish years old)will suffice.
    All suggestions considered! Hit me!:)

did you sell your 190?

anyway
    View2-9231741.jpeg

Prelude

Full?id=8595728
    205 in the Kingdom

or

View2-6219531.jpeg

Replace the van with a classic van:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I was just about to put up a link to the white 205 above. Looks clean

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/2688839

There was also this one in Kerry a few weeks ago (Pics taken in Tralee). Looks clean

View2-9064421.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/2801849

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭TigerTim

A bit more than your budget but nice

View2-7254880.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/vintagecars/2366170

T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

A bit of variety to try and flush out what floats your boat other than Datsuns

Lots of change, cow hide and a slush box but no test, not sure if that's a scabby arch or just a reflection.

Full?id=9233875

Sticking with the Mazda theme, long test and almost free with the tax.
    Full?id=9233503

A bit more flash and down your way and 16v so no need to take the engine out to do the timing belt
    Full?id=8902183

Getting closer to the age and budget but further from you
    Full?id=9180680

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I'd say that fiat has had a frontal impact judging by the colour difference on the pannels also very tatty inside, much better ones of those to be had!

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I'd say that fiat has had a frontal impact judging by the colour difference on the pannels also very tatty inside, much better ones of those to be had!

Only spotted the UK reg afterwards too, it was as much about sussing out the type of car the OP would go for, body type, fuel, transmission, etc... as the particular cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭mountain

As the van is going, maybe you need some space,
    how about this, http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2838739
    over your budget, but im sure there is more for haggling

mountain wrote: »
    As the van is going, maybe you need some space,
    how about this, http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2838739
    over your budget, but im sure there is more for haggling

Certainly the colour of the volvo would be an aquired taste and would either grow on or you would grow to hate it. Risk being called "the elder lemon":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

This ............................ for 2000 Sterling

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C254538

Very practical being a hatchback and automatic and vintage tax

Needs a T-cut

2305900.jpg

Nissan Patrol diesel should drop right in....

Blue850 wrote: »
    Nissan Patrol diesel should drop right in....

I'd nearly do it for the crack but might stretch to a 530 or 535 D Lump

This would be nice with the rest of your budget spent to tidy it

its in Limerick only asking 800 and its 1980 !;)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2799138

View2-9052519.jpeg

• Advertisement

Full?id=8965581

Tested 1.7TD €1275

These are a good car, and rare to see one that's been left standard

View2-9237768.jpeg

Irish spec Sprinter for €800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

With the providence of a certain BMW 850i that is for sale in Tipperary at a price of 5.500 euro on Donedeal you might be able to check the boot or any cavity of it and turn up 4K+ worth of "white lines that the previous owner did not cross over"*:rolleyes:

www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2829808

*From over taking Renault 4's of course.:D

Dont ban me i like it here...

Full?id=8826267

Diesel Bluebird

mods can lock the thread now:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

commited wrote: »
    If I wanted a pre-91 car, I'd be looking at the Mercedes W124, unbelievably well made, 3 bodystyles to choose from...
    There are 4 bodystyles in fact ;). Excellent cars, but a good one is hard to find these days.

Seweryn wrote: »
    There are 4 bodystyles in fact ;). Excellent cars, but a good one is hard to find these days.

Technically, there's only one w124 body style, with s124, c124, a124 and v124 variants making 5 in total ;), but you knew that. Was it the convertible or limo that you were forgetting?

I think I'd better take my anorak off and go to bed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MX-5!

Best of both worlds. Classic tax, very reliable and modern enough (EFI). And brilliant to drive too. Easy to sell again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Interesting ideas there lads, a W124 is a definate option, i have one to look at in the coming week. Road tax is such a killer though.

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Technically, there's only one w124 body style, with s124, c124, a124 and v124 variants making 5 in total ;), but you knew that. Was it the convertible or limo that you were forgetting?
    The LWB V124 I was missing. They are rare enough and I wouldn't really consider it as a daily runner :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

far better value if it's a fiat you're after

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2764654

sorry I was ment to post this in the classic bargains section.

Blue850 wrote: »
    What doeas he mean by describing it as a "Multivalve" Engined...? There are only 2 valves per cylinder in that engine :). 12 in total? Yeah, that is Multivalve ;).

For 1500? I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find a convertible for that money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭YBTurbo

Mk2 Granada?

I may just know where there is one for sale ;)

PM if your interested.

• Advertisement

YBTurbo wrote: »
    Mk2 Granada?

I may just know where there is one for sale ;)

PM if your interested.

What age? All the Granadas for sale lately seem to be late series 2 models on English plates, hence another wedge to clear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

I have a Toyota MR2 I'm considering selling for not much over 1500. Taxed, NCT'd, serviced and now 20 years old. PM me for more details if you like :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

commited wrote: »

For 1500? I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find a convertible for that money!

MX-5 convertible for 1500 shouldn't be a problem ....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I hate convertibles, i dont own any purple jumpers. Plus there is no weather in this country for them. The MX5 hard top is nice though.

galwaytt wrote: »

I was talking about a convertible W124, the fourth body style that I chose to leave out and sure who wants a limo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I hate convertibles, i dont own any purple jumpers. Plus there is no weather in this country for them. The MX5 hard top is nice though.
    I love convertibles and I have two purple jumpers.

Damn you.

I can loan you one if you buy this. :D

I had enough abuse for having a white Merc, I would be shot at dawn for driving a white Jag!

I had enough abuse for having a white Merc, I would be shot at dawn for driving a white Jag!

Grudge the be****ers ! mind you I have a white merc and have never got abuse (not to my face anyhow) and I really don't gave a s... what the others think .:D

shawnee wrote: »
    Grudge the be****ers ! mind you I have a white merc and have never got abuse (not to my face anyhow) and I really don't gave a s... what the others think .:D

Neither did i, but it is a bit of a pimp mobile...:D
    [URL="javascript:void(0);"]Davesmerc006-1.jpg[/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭YBTurbo

What age? All the Granadas for sale lately seem to be late series 2 models on English plates, hence another wedge to clear them.

1984, BUT it's already cleared on Irish plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Davesmerc006-1.jpg
    I love to see a well kept motor, especially one with a 3 pointed star

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I would be shot at dawn for driving a white Jag!

Worse. You'd be permabanned from this forum! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

There's a 20v Turbo Fiat Coupe on donedeal at the minute. Red with tan leather, it looks well minded from the glance I had at the ad today (I was on mobile though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Dades wrote: »
    I can loan you one if you buy this. :D

Given the advert states - "in need of serious restoration", I imagine you would have ample opportunity to change the colour !

Did the convertible XJS not come out until the mid eighties though ?

Something fishy here me thinks

[URL="javascript:void(0);"]Davesmerc006-1.jpg[/URL]

Get you're point alright Brother , a gold chain and a few bitches would go well with her alright :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement