Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 2012 New York anyone :)?

Options
  • 30-12-2011 4:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Soooo....whose doing the J1 to NY this summer smile.gif?? Me and my friend are heading to Woodlawn in the Bronx and might be looking for people to share with smile.gif let me know if anyone is interested or whatever smile.gif x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'm not an authority, and just going on what I've been told, but New York is notoriously difficult to get work in (Apparently) unless you have experience. I had two friends there last year on there second J1 and they ended up coming home, having easily got work on the west coast the summer before.

I wanted to go there but have subsequently decided to go to the West coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 michaella123

Ooooh....really :/ To be honest now I heard the opposite! My cousin and like 15 of her friends went to the West coast and not one of them got a job! My sister and her bf went to NY last summer both had jobs fairly fast :) maybe just lucky! But im gonna stick with NY lived there for a few years growing up love the place :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Took me five weeks to find a job, sent out countless CVs, phonecalls, drop ins. You may be luckier, but I found it difficult to get work.

Can I ask why you're heading to the Bronx? It's really far away from Manhattan! I guess if there's loads of you it's grand, but you're kind of far from the "action" I suppose.

Well I used to live there for a while....its great :) Woodlawn is a real Irish area packed with J1ers loads go over there for the summer, well usually anyway and its not far away at all! Your a 20/25min subway ride into Manhattan :) Job wise....there isnt much of a difference with any places on the west coast....well from what I hear anyway!

Well I used to live there for a while....its great :) Woodlawn is a real Irish area packed with J1ers loads go over there for the summer, well usually anyway and its not far away at all! Your a 20/25min subway ride into Manhattan :) Job wise....there isnt much of a difference with any places on the west coast....well from what I hear anyway!

Ah fair enough! Was just wondering!

Most Irish I met over there had trouble finding jobs, but all got them in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 SonicC

Me and my gf came over to NY in September,we didn't have any contacts over here or know a single person, and the two of us found jobs by the second week of looking, also living in Woodlawn now, i work in midtown takes me bout 50mins on the subway,

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Hiya,

Trying to organise heading over to NY mysf this summer. Will be on my own and could be interested in a house share :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 keithshockz

Me and my pal are heading to NYC too :D and thinking of woodlawn aswell cause i got a friend there if anyone needs roomies we can help :)

Awww really....I have friends there too :D But yeah wer gonna try and look for a house there for the summer...and will be looking to share :) Woodlawn is a good spot like :D

cool, atleast they'll be irish hanging around :P ive never been to NYC so really excited :) do you know when then recruitment days are on in the colleges? because i would prefer a job b4 i go bookin flights :confused:

• Advertisement

Ahhh you have never been there...YOU WILL LOVE IT :) Ooooh I have no idea about that :/ but jobs wise you can look for them before hand on websites like craigslist and the Irish Echo....but i doubt they will be advertising now, maybe a month or two beforehand :) Plus in Woodlawn there is the Aisling Irish Centre and they help you find jobs and crap :)

Fingers crossed :P hopefully its just like american pie and stuff ha, i just booked my flights there :) now accomodation :confused: is it dear in woodlawn dya know? My friend there won't help me because i am wreckin his head with questions :confused: but its my 1st time in the states :( so nervous haha

Ah here add me on fb easier to chat there :)http://www.facebook.com/#!/michaella.power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lisa_92

Hey :) myself and 3 other girlfriends are planning on heading to New York this summer, hopefully to play with a GAA team. Have been told told to look for accommodation in Katonah Ave. and Mcclean Ave. ?? .. Has anyone ever played gaa in New York Before?? :)

Yeah Katonah is the main strip of Woodlawn....pubs galore :D and McLean Ave well thats borderline Woodlawn/Yonkers :) Both good spots....but I say Katnoah is more central thats where im planning to stay :) Well I never personally played gaa there but theres the gaa pitch there Gaelic Park on 238th st. I hear there always looking for Irish to come and play so it shouldnt be too hard theres a good few clubs there like....from what I hear anyway :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sashman

Me and my friend are going over to NY this summer on a J1. We have been lookin on the web for accomodation but were not sure where we'll end up. We'd like to live near other Irish on a J1 for the craic? Any ideas where you'll be stayin??

Woodlawn :) Its an irish place in general and usually there is good crowd there doing the j1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Just a general bit of advice for you, not a great idea to put your FB profile out in public like that! If you want people to have it just Private Message it to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

This thread has been quiet for last three months.. presume there is a good few of us going to New York, lets get this thread going a bit, is there another New York J1 thread for this year? If not let's make this the main one

Have people had any luck for accomadation in NY. Where are the best places in the boroughs

Queens, Brookyln and Bronx?

For Queens, as far as I can tell so far, Sunnyside and Woodside seem two good places!

Anybody having luck with jobs? Would suggest people think outside the box when it comes to looking for them... instead of just considering bars and retail maybe think of museums and the like too, there are loads in New York City and the boroughs

If people are interested maybe we could have a New York Boardsie meetup for those going over during the summer, just an idea... anyway, hope more people post here and we can all help each other out, only about 4 months to go :D

Will also post some NY Resources that I've found that others might find helpful

Time Out and Oh My Rockness are great event guides to follow.

• Advertisement

Nice shout Twee, haven't heard of Oh my Rockness before, looks good.

Also there's Village Voice.com, particularly good for music listings and such
    Village Voice is the definitive source of information for news, music, movies, restaurants, reviews, and events in New York.

There are some other good ones, will post them when I get the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Queens, Brookyln and Bronx?

For Queens, as far as I can tell so far, Sunnyside and Woodside seem two good places!

I wouldn't be overly keen on Sunnyside or Woodside, fairly boring spots for New York, a lot of the Irish community there have begun to move out also if that's your angle.

Queens wise aim for Astoria or Long Island City, both have lots of bars, restaurants etc., only two stops from Manhattan, cheapish rents for New York.

Brooklyn has become so popular in recent years that rents have become crazy, especially in Williamsburg. Try Greenpoint instead, nice enough area.

You can actually afford to live in Manhattan if you're prepared to go uptown. I used to live in Hamilton Heights (140-147 Streets) and it was only 20 minutes on the express train to midtown. Really nice old apartment buildings, fairly cheap, lots of delis and a lovely park. However the area is heavily Dominican which puts off a lot of 'white' people. We never had any problems though, made friends with all our neighbours and even went to the local 'block' party :D.

Hoboken is also worth having a look at. Granted it's New Jersey but the PATH is just as handy for commuting as the subway. Really hip little town and as close as Sunnyside to Manhattan.

I wouldn't bother living in the Bronx or Staten Island. Actually Staten Island isn't too bad but the commute on the ferry will destroy your soul unless you're working in Battersea Park region.

I wouldn't be overly keen on Sunnyside or Woodside, fairly boring spots for New York, a lot of the Irish community there have begun to move out also if that's your angle.

Queens wise aim for Astoria or Long Island City, both have lots of bars, restaurants etc., only two stops from Manhattan, cheapish rents for New York.

Brooklyn has become so popular in recent years that rents have become crazy, especially in Williamsburg. Try Greenpoint instead, nice enough area.

You can actually afford to live in Manhattan if you're prepared to go uptown. I used to live in Hamilton Heights (140-147 Streets) and it was only 20 minutes on the express train to midtown. Really nice old apartment buildings, fairly cheap, lots of delis and a lovely park. However the area is heavily Dominican which puts off a lot of 'white' people. We never had any problems though, made friends with all our neighbours and even went to the local 'block' party :D.

Hoboken is also worth having a look at. Granted it's New Jersey but the PATH is just as handy for commuting as the subway. Really hip little town and as close as Sunnyside to Manhattan.

I wouldn't bother living in the Bronx or Staten Island. Actually Staten Island isn't too bad but the commute on the ferry will destroy your soul unless you're working in Battersea Park region.

Thanks Crank, good tips! Have heard of Hamilton Heights, hope to give it a look over... Staten Island, Ferry, cold, god no

New York links of interest for all your nightlife, food and other needs:

www.nycgo.com - Offical NYC site guide, handy to start off with
    http://www.nyc.com/ - Great site with vast offerings
    www.nymag.com/ - Be up to date with New York Magazine
    http://www.newyorkology.com/index.php Great compact guide to New York
    http://gonyc.about.com/ - Collection of articles on New York City.
    http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newyorkcity/- Renowned Travel guides

http://www.nyconthecheap.com/ - Cos it be expensive
    http://gothamist.com/ - Gotham city
    http://www.offoffoff.com/ - Unconventional
    http://www.freewilliamsburg.com/ - If you're staying near here.
    http://www.gonetonewyork.com/- Moving to New York Website
    http://www.clubfreetime.com/free-events-things-to-do-in-new-york-city.asp More frugal
    http://nyc.myopenbar.com/ - Free bar froogal
    http://www.sheckysnightlife.com/ - Ny Nightlife
    http://newyork.metromix.com/ - New York Ents guide

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dave2k10

Myself and 8/10 lads heading to NY for the summer. This will be our second summer in NY staying in Woodlawn. We got accommodation through a GAA team and most of us played football or hurling over there. If you play a decent standard of GAA at home its your best bet for a job, most clubs have contacts for jobs and a lot will put you in a house rent free for the summer if you play with them. If you're looking for a complete American experience I wouldn't go near Woodlawn, there are most Irish there than American. We usually went Manhattan Fri/Sat nights and sometimes Thursdays. Ned Devines is the place to be on a Sunday night and is jammed with J1ers. Subway is 40mins to midtown but the Metro North train only takes 25mins. Its not an ideal location for working in Manhattan but with the price of rent in Manhattan, it is the best option. Best thing about NY is that Boston/Philly/Washington are all only about 3hours away and Long Island is only an hour from midtown on train if you're looking for a beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 paddy crazy horse

I think work is pretty slow at the moment in NY. i went over 2 1/2 years ago and i was very lucky, got a job in 2 days. But a year later my friend went out for the summer and couldnt find a job for a month and a half. It realy depends on the type of work your looking to do. As for accommodation, manhattan is very expensive. woodlawn in the Bronx is a good spot for the Irish, and prices are a bit cheaper. i was living there and youd walk down katonah or mcclean and the majority of people i met were irish and a lot from my home town. Woodlawns pretty close to cross county shopping centre with shops like GAP, old navy, macys, american eagle, sears, Stop&Shop (supermarket). there is also a liqudator shop in cross county that does household stuff and that so you can get your bed linen, kitchen stuff etc. for good enough prices. the 4 train runs from woodlawn on the lexington line into the east side of the city. i used to get off at 86th st and it took about 45mins. if looking for work look in the city too, even if you have to travel from woodlawn to city its not that bad. buy a monthly metro card and you'll save money on buses and subway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 taramhamilton

me and a friend are heading to new york for the summer. were staying in bayridge in brooklynn...anybody staying near here? were trying to find jobs before we get there but if we dont does it take long to find a job when you get there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 justin_denial

Hey guys I'm flying over with three friends staying on NYU campus.. cannot wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RobKell85

Hey guys, I'm heading over to New York myself on June 5th til September 15th. I'm going on my own and am interested in meeting people to share accommodation with. My plan is to just book into a hostel for the first couple of nights. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm working on trying to have a job sorted before I head out, but it might be difficult!

I stayed at http://hinewyork.org/ (dorm room) when I arrived in New York. Very clean, air con, places to eat nearby, direct train to midtown.

My brother stayed at http://www.chelseahostel.com/ (private single room) . It was very basic, one toilet/shower for the floor. But central location in West Village and had air con.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

me and a friend are heading to new york for the summer. were staying in bayridge in brooklynn...anybody staying near here? were trying to find jobs before we get there but if we dont does it take long to find a job when you get there?
    Where in Bay Ridge!?

Advertisement