Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merc commits suicide rather than be driven by Dick Roche

• 30-12-2011 6:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/mercedes-probe-after-former-td-dick-roches-car-ignites-16096962.html

Mercedes Ireland has launched a full-scale investigation into how a former Irish government minister's luxury car - which is a little over a year old - inexplicably burst into flames on Boxing Day.

Dick Roche was driving in Wexford visiting relatives with wife Eleanor when his top-of-the-range motor lost power and began to trudge along the road.

The couple were lucky to escape with their lives just before the vehicle burst into flames.

Mr Roche said he is mystified how something of this nature could happen to a car from such a reputable brand.

"I just don't know what caused it. The people I've been dealing with at the garage are mystified.

"It was a serious fire and very shocking at the time but thankfully nobody was killed. The car is a complete write-off."

Mr Roche says he and his wife were lucky to escape unharmed.

A Mercedes Ireland spokesman says Mr Roche has been provided with a courtesy car while an investigation is carried out. He added: "It's a very rare thing but it's too early to say at this stage what happened."

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

MadsL wrote: »
    ... Mercedes Ireland has launched a full-scale investigation into how a former Irish government minister's luxury car - which is a little over a year old - inexplicably burst into flames on Boxing Day. ...
    It's not inexplicable at all. If he'd driven the fecken thing on Stephenses Day there'd have been no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

former Irish government minister's luxury car -

his top-of-the-range motor

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dick-roche-speaks-of-relief-after-he-and-wife-escape-blazing-merc-2975413.html

E200 d

jackie-chan-meme_reasonably_small.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

It's probably the same wise soul who tried to assassinate Dana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Dick Roche was driving in Wexford visiting relatives with wife Eleanor when his top-of-the-range motor lost power and began to trudge along the road.
    "

are legs an optional extra:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Had a year old E200 go on fire parked up near me back in 2005. Engine fire burnt a huge hole in the bonnet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

are legs an optional extra:confused:

Well it is a "top-of-the-range" E200d, so no doubt they came as standard :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Because Roche is or was a public figure Mercedes as in Grange motors will bend over back wards over this. If it was ordinary Joe I can't see a replacement Merc been delivered to his door. They'd probably tell you bugger off and see your insurance. They'd only get interested with a solicitors letter I believe .

My dealings with Grange have been less than satisfactory in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

I loved these quotes from Roche:
    "It's amazing it happened in a new car, particularly given it's a Mercedes which has a good reputation,"
    :rolleyes:
    and
    "Luckily the tank in the car didn't blow up and it was the only part of the car that wasn't completely destroyed.
    :rolleyes:

Source: linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

mathepac wrote: »
    ... Mercedes Ireland has launched a full-scale investigation into how a former Irish government minister's luxury car - which is a little over a year old - inexplicably burst into flames on Boxing Day. ...
    It's not inexplicable at all. If he'd driven the fecken thing on Stephenses Day there'd have been no problem.
    St. Stephen's day probably would have been safer still

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Curse of Tara strikes again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

A freind on mine worked for the merc 24 breakdown service for a few years........you'd simply be shocked by how many mercs suffered exactly the same problem/fire as above!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Will he demand a recount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Reprted here as a petrol Merc... www.herald.ie/news/roche-tells-of-horror-at-car-inferno-2975507.html

A freind on mine worked for the merc 24 breakdown service for a few years........you'd simply be shocked by how many mercs suffered exactly the same problem/fire as above!

Any idea at root cause?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Large quantity of Used brown envelopes caused overheating.

....may not be true.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

can we chose to disregard your second remark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Halfshaft

My money is on the starter motor being the root of the problem.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Halfshaft wrote: »
    My money is on the starter motor being the root of the problem.....

Do these Mercs have that stop/start technology like BMW's where the car shuts the engine down when stopped in traffic and restarts when you get moving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Couldnt happen to a nicer guy cant think of a more deserving individual to have a previously supplied state largess come back and bite him on the ass !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

furtzy wrote: »
    Had a year old E200 go on fire parked up near me back in 2005. Engine fire burnt a huge hole in the bonnet

There was one in the scrap yard in kilcock when i was there a few weeks back. Didnt check the year but the whole front end was burnt to a crisp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

RoverJames wrote: »
    Any idea at root cause?

The nut behind the wheel did all the damage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Any idea at root cause?

He didn't know the outcome of what merc found but said it looked like wiring faults in the loom to him.

He mentioned an SLK that went up in flames from the rear end when the owner attempted to raise the roof, again seemed like an electrical fault with the roof mechanism...the car was a month old!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

A Mercedes with an electrical problem...........well I never!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Will he demand a recount?

Maybe a recall.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Last of the old series or one of the new models

(Sorry I can't quote the W-numbers :confused: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

He was so used to sitting in the back of one being driven around to his fat cat fine dining meals, thats a tax payers car he has so maybe its a hint...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Its a pity he escaped,

Would have done the State a favour had he perished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Fishtits wrote: »
    Its a pity he escaped,

Would have done the State a favour had he perished

Ease up, this is the motoring forum not After Hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

There was one in the scrap yard in kilcock when i was there a few weeks back. Didnt check the year but the whole front end was burnt to a crisp.

I passed a Merc in flames under last bridge heading east before you hit original section of M4; in around turn off for Kilcock. Was a good few months back but fire brigade had not yet arrived at it was well alight at that stage. I recall it was a 10 reg but couldn't get photo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

<snip - this is not a Dick Roche bashing thread>

it wasn't Dick bashing at all :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Are merc replacing these cars or are people having to claim on insurance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

route66 wrote: »
    Last of the old series or one of the new models

(Sorry I can't quote the W-numbers :confused: )

... some research later - w211 or w212 ?
    I'm guessing w212 if it's on a '10' plate but would like to know for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Non stop

Any idea at root cause?

Appartently the fluke filled his diesel car with petrol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Non stop wrote: »
    Any idea at root cause?

Appartently the fluke filled his diesel car with petrol!
    Im closing this thread. If you have a link to support your post then please send it by PM to me.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement