Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amber line for broadband

Options
  • 30-12-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi
    We are looking at getting broadband with Eircom after having been informed that the line has been connected directly (taken off a carrier). I got the Broadband Tach support to check the line & they tell me that it will support 1.5 Meg max( we are 6 miles from nearest exchange). Will this be satisfactory for a decent, usable service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

If you get what you've been promised you'll be fine for most things - unless you're into gaming, etc.

We are just over 3 miles from our nearest exchange and although we were promised 1meg all we are getting is a lousy 0.23/4 (less than a quarter meg. This is useless and only really allows us to surf the net, check emails. We can download movies ... but this takes forever and a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

seaniefr wrote: »
    Hi
    We are looking at getting broadband with Eircom after having been informed that the line has been connected directly (taken off a carrier). I got the Broadband Tach support to check the line & they tell me that it will support 1.5 Meg max( we are 6 miles from nearest exchange). Will this be satisfactory for a decent, usable service?

Hi seaniefr,

Thanks for posting here on eircom boards' Forum.

If you're broadband pre-quals for up to 1.5Mb, you'll be put on a 1Mb broadband package. This is sufficient for general use, however most Game Console manufacturers /vendors require that you must have at least 3Mb to run their products and games online.

I'm not surprised that you've been offered broadband by eircom. Some Internet providers may have stayed away or even be unwilling to provide broadband in certain circumstances. I will guardedly advise in general: Amber /or extended reach customers, particularly 6 miles or over from the exchange, will not be able to avail of higher broadband speeds. eircom, to be fair, will always try to provide this service to customers nationwide. Glad to hear that your phoneline does now pre-qual for broadband.

Please check out all the value added services when you get setup : SportsHub, MusicHub, etc - and don't forget eircom has great backup support with longest Technical Support opening hours 8am - 10pm - 7 days .
    Season's greetings,
    Ant

pat13wx wrote: »
    If you get what you've been promised you'll be fine for most things - unless you're into gaming, etc.

We are just over 3 miles from our nearest exchange and although we were promised 1meg all we are getting is a lousy 0.23/4 (less than a quarter meg. This is useless and only really allows us to surf the net, check emails. We can download movies ... but this takes forever and a day.

Hi pat13wx,

Thanks for posting on eircom /Boards.

Sounds like you might wish to double check your modem and internal phone line setup. Please take a look at the following, and if you're still getting slow speeds, PM me with your home phone number.

I should be able to advise you on how to best setup your broadband connection. Pay particular attention to 'scanning' your PC for spyware and open applications and sessions running in the background on your computer.

Broadband Check

If you have not reported this to Broadband Support, you may wish to call them direct :

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Season's greetings & Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

Hi seaniefr,

If you're broadband pre-quals for up to 1.5Mb, you'll be put on a 1Mb broadband package. This is sufficient for general use, however most Game Console manufacturers /vendors require that you must have at least 3Mb to run their products and games online.

I'm not surprised that you've been offered broadband by eircom. Some Internet providers may have stayed away or even be unwilling to provide broadband in certain circumstances. I will guardedly advise in general: Amber /or extended reach customers, particularly 6 miles or over from the exchange, will not be able to avail of higher broadband speeds. eircom, to be fair, will always try to provide this service to customers nationwide. Glad to hear that your phoneline does now pre-qual for broadband.

Please check out all the value added services when you get setup : SportsHub, MusicHub, etc - and don't forget eircom has great backup support with longest Technical Support opening hours 8am - 10pm - 7 days .
    Season's greetings,
    Ant[/Quote]
    Hi Ant
    Thanks for replying
    I was going to go for the 3mb package mainly because of the 30gb allowance and if I got 1.5 meg and a decent upload I don't mind as long as I can use Skype would the upload be any better than the 1mg package with my line?

Hi seaniefr,

Thanks again. I've listed current broadband package Speeds - These are set out as the maximum upload and download. In general you would get 75-80% of the max speeds. So for example if you'r Maximum speed was 1Mb (1,024kbps) then you would expect to get an average of 720Kb (0.72Mb) download. If your upload was 384kbps (0.38Mb) then your average upload would be around 200Kb.

Skpe and similar third party applications will use huge bandwidth and these manufacturers require a very large broadband connection to run well.

Standard broadband

Maximum expected speeds
    Home packages

Home Starter

Up to 1MbMaximum speeds: Download 1,024kbps Upload 128kbps
    Home Plus

Up to 3MbMaximum speeds: Download 3,072kbps Upload 384kbps
    Home Advanced

Up to 7MbMaximum speeds: Download 7,168kbps Upload 384kbps
    Home Turbo

Up to 24MbMaximum speeds: Download 24,576kbps Upload 768kbps

Business packages

Business Lite Plus

Up to 3MbMaximum speeds: Download 3,072kbps Upload 384kbps
    Business Starter

Up to 12MbMaximum speeds: Download 12,228kbps Upload 1,126kbps
    Business Enhanced

Up to 18/2MbMaximum speeds: Download 18,432kbps Upload 2,048kbps
    Business Advanced

Up to 24/1MbMaximum speeds: Download 24,576kbps Upload 1,024kbps

Next generation broadband

Maximum expected speeds
    Home packages

Next Generation Broadband Basic

Up to 8Mb Maximum speeds: Download 8,192kbps Upload 512kbps
    Next Generation Broadband Regular

Next Generation Broadband Ultimate

Up to 24Mb Maximum speeds: Download 24,576kbps Upload 768kbps

Business packages

Business Lite Next Generation

Business Lite Plus Next Generation

I hope this will help.

Best wishes
    Ant

seaniefr wrote: »
    Hi seaniefr,

Season's greetings,
    Ant
    Hi Ant
    Thanks for replying
    I was going to go for the 3mb package mainly because of the 30gb allowance and if I got 1.5 meg and a decent upload I don't mind as long as I can use Skype would the upload be any better than the 1mg package with my line?[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 black__bamboo

Hi Ericom Ant,

can you please explain to me why BB is unavailable to people who live more than 5 miles from the exchange? i was recently dismayed to discover after moving house that we can neither receive eircom BB nor any kind of wireless phone or BB service. we are now left with very high bills for satellite BB + eircom landline + mobiles (which only work when we leave the general area of our home). Apparently nobody on our road can get eircom BB despite the fact that everybody wants it! when i called eircom customer service i was told that the reason nobody can get it is because we live more than five miles from the exchange. how does distance affect the signal?

thanks,
    B_B

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Line Length is the reason...if the lines were overground you might get something at a pinch but underground ....no.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 black__bamboo

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Line Length is the reason...if the lines were overground you might get something at a pinch but underground ....no.

Thanks Sponge Bob
    i found the thread after my post. guess i have found my #1 reason to protest the household charge now ; )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Don't pay the septic tanks charge either until the government sorts out the fibre optic based remote testing and certification regime we are entitled to nowadays. :)

Hi Ericom Ant,

can you please explain to me why BB is unavailable to people who live more than 5 miles from the exchange? i was recently dismayed to discover after moving house that we can neither receive eircom BB nor any kind of wireless phone or BB service. we are now left with very high bills for satellite BB + eircom landline + mobiles (which only work when we leave the general area of our home). Apparently nobody on our road can get eircom BB despite the fact that everybody wants it! when i called eircom customer service i was told that the reason nobody can get it is because we live more than five miles from the exchange. how does distance affect the signal?

thanks,
    B_B

Hi black__bamboo,

Thanks. I cannot answer your question about broadband availability in each specific area. However, I suppose the main reason why Adsl may be difficult to guarantee in areas 2.5Km or more, is the phoneline length. As previously advised by Sponge Bob above.

Adsl itself is based on rate adaptive technology, which means that the connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.

eircom have a huge nationwide reach and provide broadband in many areas. If you are currently in an area not covered by eircom's fixed broadband, and need to find out more about alternatives offered, please see : http://www.eircom.net/broadband/

Broadband Sales are also available to advise you on standard broadband alternatives offered by eircom; for example : e-Mobile. They may also be able to advise you on the best approach to avail of broadband coverage in your neighbourhood.

Broadband Sales ; 1800 503303 freefone.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Advertisement
Advertisement