Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tag a bin introduce a €60 annual fee for bin tag users.

Options
  • 30-12-2011 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

just got a letter in the door from TAG A BIN to inform me that tag users will now have to pay an annual service account charge of €60 .:mad:

time to switch.

can anyone recommend a reliable bin service in Drogheda?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

€60 euro a year for an unreliable service?????? They gotta be kidding!

That would double my waste charges (I only use about 6 tags a year).

I'm sure that if they're introducing it, others will too.

The only other company doing "pay as you use" without an annual charge (at least there was no charge when I checked it out a couple of weeks ago) is Oxigen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

gipi wrote: »

The only other company doing "pay as you use" without an annual charge (at least there was no charge when I checked it out a couple of weeks ago) is Oxigen.
    i looked into the oxigen one, and it seems a better system as in you dont use tags, you just top up an account , in shop or online, then bin number gets scanned by the lorry..

seems a lot handier, and more reliabile service.

here is the info from the oxigen system

How does it work?

The cost of the Black Waste Bin is €10.50 per lift and the Green is €4.50 per lift. You will need to top up your account by €25.00 and we will match it with €25.00 bringing your starting balance to €50.
    1. Register with us today and you will receive your top up card within 5 working days
    2. Top up your “pay as you go“ card online, on the phone or at a shop displaying the Pay Zone sign
    3. Put your correct bin out on collection day (as highlighted on your collection calendar)
    4. The Oxigen truck will scan your bin
    5. Your bin will be emptied, and the cost will be deducted from your account
    6. When your account needs topping up you will receive a notification text from us
    Please note that there must be a minimum of €10 on your account at all times.
    Click here to see a list of Payzone Outlets in East Meath & Drogheda
    Please note that if you are already an Oxigen customer, paying an annual fee, & wish to switch to pay by use, you will have to contact 042 933 0789.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭soupdrinker

We were with Panda but when I rang them, they said they now offer the tag service but its just not advertised. you have to buy Allied (I think!) bin tags to put on your Panda bins, collections same day as with Panda. Maybe Panda have subcontracted some of the collections out to Allied Waste......

Can't remember off hand but think black bin tags are around 7-8 euro and green one about 4 euro

soupdrinker,

I used to use Allied Bin Bags (rather than tags) - but finally gave up on them, because they always missed the bag outside the house. I used to phone them to ask to be put on the list for the next collection, and they still managed to forget!!

LH2011, thanks for the oxigen info, had seen it myself. Hope they don't decide to change their payment structure!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

soupdrinker,

I used to use Allied Bin Bags (rather than tags) - but finally gave up on them, because they always missed the bag outside the house. I used to phone them to ask to be put on the list for the next collection, and they still managed to forget!!

LH2011, thanks for the oxigen info, had seen it myself. Hope they don't decide to change their payment structure!

They won't for a while. They're priced just above what V&W would cost and I believe their concious of this.

• Advertisement

soupdrinker,

If you have that problem with Allied on a regular basis, could you not just ask them for Panda-labelled bins instead (If you reckon the lads on the Panda truck will see them a bit easier)?

We're with Allied (Panda bins) and they don't charge us an annual fee as far as I recall. I believe all that's paid to them is the cost of the tag (which, at €4 for recycling and €8 for general trash, is fairly reasonable in my opinion).

I'd say we put our bins out every two or three weeks, so it works out pretty good for us.

Thanks KKV,

According to their website, Panda have 2 options for payment - an annual fee of €282, or a service charge of €90, a bin lift charge of €7.50 plus a per kilo charge of 28c for infrequent bin users.

The Allied bag was bright red, and I always put it on top of my gate pillar....it wasn't exactly invisible (at least not to me!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭soupdrinker

Gipi

Ring Panda and ask them to they do a tag service - its not on their website but they only told me about it when i rang.

We leave out our green bin every 2 weeks and black bin every 4-6 weeks so this is the cheapest option for us.

They have never missed a collection from us - if we leave out the bin it is collected - I'm not sure if its Panda or Allied that collects them but I've no complaints about the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mr Yes

€60 per year service charge plus the price of my tag leaves it more exspencive that the other companies, My understanding is that when I purchase of a tag it incorporates the services charge . Who are they kidding. Im going back to Panda and get a tag for my bin at €8 per collection 1850 62 62 62 . The service level was good at the beginning but has gone down hill over the last 12 months.These guys dont even recycle our waste they use other companies and pay them . they never told us that on the phone

Im Not happy and I changing back to my previous bin company :confused:

Thanks KKV,

According to their website, Panda have 2 options for payment - an annual fee of €282, or a service charge of €90, a bin lift charge of €7.50 plus a per kilo charge of 28c for infrequent bin users.

Well as far as I know we don't pay anything outside of the tag charge in my house. If you ring panda and tell them you want to switch over to the allied bin tags they should be able to explain it to you (by the way, as far as I'm aware, Allied are actually owned by Panda now. Pretty sure Panda absorbed Allied in 2010).

The Allied bag was bright red, and I always put it on top of my gate pillar....it wasn't exactly invisible (at least not to me!!)

Perhaps the lads miss it because they're just too used to looking for actual wheelie bins? (not that that's an excuse). I've never really seen the bags your talking about, so can't make a fair comment, to be honest, but either way, they should be lifting your rubbish once you're paying them, regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

LH2011 wrote: »

How does it work?

The cost of the Black Waste Bin is €10.50 per lift and the Green is €4.50 per lift. You will need to top up your account by €25.00 and we will match it with €25.00 bringing your starting balance to €50.
    1. Register with us today and you will receive your top up card within 5 working days
    2. Top up your “pay as you go“ card online, on the phone or at a shop displaying the Pay Zone sign
    3. Put your correct bin out on collection day (as highlighted on your collection calendar)
    6. When your account needs topping up you will receive a notification text from us
    Please note that if you are already an Oxigen customer, paying an annual fee, & wish to switch to pay by use, you will have to contact 042 933 0789.

Any word on them keeping things at this price for the next yr or so or is there a chance they'll start an annual charge too ?
    But i do like the €25 for nothing and the idea that i can top up online.
    Allied are actually owned by Panda now. Pretty sure Panda absorbed Allied in 2010).

Yep i heard this as well.

Zorba,

I tried to register for Pay As You Use with Oxigen yesterday on their website. Got an on-screen message to say that PAYU wasn't available in my region!! Have logged a query with them, so will update when I hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Zorba wrote: »
    LH2011 wrote: »

How does it work?

Any word on them keeping things at this price for the next yr or so or is there a chance they'll start an annual charge too ?
    But i do like the €25 for nothing and the idea that i can top up online.
    Allied are actually owned by Panda now. Pretty sure Panda absorbed Allied in 2010).

Yep i heard this as well.

Yup panda have absorbed allied run in Louth and Meath
    Also
    A1 waste in Dublin
    Mahon waste in meath too
    Proably more to follow ?

As promised, an update on the Oxigen situation:

Got a call from them today (in reply to an email I sent), and the conditions for pay as you use customers are exactly as posted by LH2011 above

There are no plans to introduce a service charge at the moment.

I signed up over the phone, paid my first €25 and will get the card, the bins and other information in the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

As promised, an update on the Oxigen situation:

Got a call from them today (in reply to an email I sent), and the conditions for pay as you use customers are exactly as posted by LH2011 above

There are no plans to introduce a service charge at the moment.

I signed up over the phone, paid my first €25 and will get the card, the bins and other information in the next couple of days.

Thanks for that gipi, looks like i'll be changing bin companies in the next few days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

Allied were taken over by Panda. Basically Panda are cutting down their charges in an attempt to gain all the customers. As soon as they have forced the competition to give up and leave the market/be bought over, then they will have no competition and will put their prices back up as there will be no competition. They are in the process of creating a monopoly actually.

The thing about Panda which disgusts me, is that if someone is going to switch to another bin provider for a small discount, Panda will offer to undercut that price by a couple of euros per month. This means the customer cancels with the new company and Panda retain their customer. Great! Thats what youre thinking right? Because a couple of euro here and there sure adds up. Well unfortunately this is just the shower of crooks at Panda trying to force the competition out of the market by being ruthless. What most dont realise, is that there is no actual published set price for Panda. That way there will be other customers in the street who will be paying MUCH more. They try to charge whatever they can get away with, and that means the customers who are none the wiser, are paying more, and therefore subsidising the other customers in the street who are paying less because they shopped around, or threatened to leave Panda if they didnt reduce their prices. If Panda can afford to charge X amount, then thats surely what they should be charging, not creating a monopoly by giving discounts to anyone trying to leave them. Its extremely anti-competitive and should be investigated.

I just think its unethical. Thats why I try to pay the smaller local companies for everything I can, because its essential to an open market that there are as many players as possible.

Advertisement