Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matthews Bus fare increases from next week

Options
2»

Comments

Living in Drogheda, I've never once used the whole journey with Matthews (Dundalk-Dublin and vice versa). That said, I do still find their prices reasonable, and I think the idea behind the fare being the same is, as said above, simplicity.

I doubt it saves much time (wouldn't take long for the driver to ask where you're going) but it keeps them away from a complex pricing scheme, which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

MugMugs wrote: »
    There's your answer.

Nonsense . How come all other bus and train services all over the country can do it then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

MugMugs wrote: »
    There's your answer.

Nonsense . How come all other bus and train services all over the country can do it then ?

Fact is, people still use it. If you were a business man and could charge one set fair irrespective of destination to the benefit of your pocket, would you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

People still use it because there is hardly any other choice . Bus Eireann is not as frequent and trains are a rip off . That dosent make it right though .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

..... And such is life. If I felt that strongly about it then I'd mail the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Using Matthews coaches + DART for me to get to work = €74 p/w
    Using Car (Diesel+4 tolls) = 70ish

This is why I prefer the motor! public transport sucks balls in this country...
    Also, I work with someone who gets a similar private coach all the way from Tyrellspass to the Quays every week... his weekly tickets costs.... €35!!

so how is it Matthews can charge twice that with less distance!!

I like Matthews service, but I think their pricing is not very fair at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

kormak wrote: »
    Using Matthews coaches + DART for me to get to work = €74 p/w
    Using Car (Diesel+4 tolls) = 70ish

This is why I prefer the motor! public transport sucks balls in this country...
    Also, I work with someone who gets a similar private coach all the way from Tyrellspass to the Quays every week... his weekly tickets costs.... €35!!

so how is it Matthews can charge twice that with less distance!!

I like Matthews service, but I think their pricing is not very fair at all...

Would you not consider buying an annaul ticket or doing the taxsaver option through your employer, you will save a lot of money if you do either

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

indiewindy wrote: »
    Would you not consider buying an annaul ticket or doing the taxsaver option through your employer, you will save a lot of money if you do either
    My employer only offers it on a once off annual payment.
    I have indeed used this before for many years on the train and although I can say hands down that this is the best value for money...
    I always found it stomach churning handiung over such a huge amount of money for such a criminally poor service.
    Also, my jobs is shift based which again is not ideal for using public transport.

Advertisement