Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin maps from Amazon

Options
  • 30-12-2011 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

So I'm going to the States in a few weeks and wanted to dl the North America maps for my Garmin 1340. I see that Amazon are doing what appears to be maps from 2009 for half the price of current maps. Sure I lose any changes made to the road system since then, but surely a saving of 30 quid shouldn't be sneezed at? (My preloaded UK~Ireland maps are at least 2 years old at this point and driving from Cork to Dublin is an adventure :)) Or is this a false economy and I'm better off getting the latest version at all times?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

corblimey wrote: »
    So I'm going to the States in a few weeks and wanted to dl the North America maps for my Garmin 1340. I see that Amazon are doing what appears to be maps from 2009 for half the price of current maps. Sure I lose any changes made to the road system since then, but surely a saving of 30 quid shouldn't be sneezed at? (My preloaded UK~Ireland maps are at least 2 years old at this point and driving from Cork to Dublin is an adventure :)) Or is this a false economy and I'm better off getting the latest version at all times?

Sure getting maps from 2009 is the same as what you have now as in no updates. In saying that maybe they dont change the roads as much as we do here but if I was going to the states id def buy new map as you don't want be involved in accident or anything because the GPS didn't show a new turn or something. Its not you know the roads and how there're laid out like you would here. But tbh you might as well buy a gps over there as opposed to buying the maps. Hell of alot cheaper id say than buying the maps and updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    But tbh you might as well buy a gps over there as opposed to buying the maps. Hell of alot cheaper id say than buying the maps and updates.

Tks, do you know this for a fact? Even the BestBuy site lists them at $100+ for the most basic model...more expensive than the maps direct from Garmin (I guess you're including lifetime updates in that price?). Plus I'm picking up my car at IND and going straight to the client, so would prefer to know where I'm going from the off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

corblimey wrote: »
    Tks, do you know this for a fact? Even the BestBuy site lists them at $100+ for the most basic model...more expensive than the maps direct from Garmin (I guess you're including lifetime updates in that price?). Plus I'm picking up my car at IND and going straight to the client, so would prefer to know where I'm going from the off.

I found this don't know if its any good tyo you http://www.mysatnav.ie/garmin-city-navigator-north-america-msd Its a Garmin north america map on an SD card ready to go im guessing.

Advertisement