Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political/editorial cartoons in newspapers

Options
  • 30-12-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi, I put the following thread in 'Comics Production' by mistake & didn't get any responses, hope it's better here! :

Can anyone please direct me to where I might find information on newspaper cartoons. Just basics like history and types of cartoons etc.

I don't mean comic strips like Jiggs & Maggie or Doonesbury, but single cartoons. I think they're called editorial cartoons.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Wasn't the Far Side in the Evening Herald for a while. Bit high brow for that paper wasn't it? :pac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Far_Side

You might want to contact the papers to ask them that. I'm sure they have an info@ address or questions@.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've changed the thread title to make it clear that you're interested in editorial single-panel cartoons rather than syndicated comic strips like The Far Side or Calvin and Hobbes.

It's not an area I know a great deal about but I have read a little about it in books like Brian Walker's "The Comics" (well worth reading if you're interested in the general history of newspaper comic strips).

You could do worse than take a look at the Wikipedia page on editorial cartoons. I've not read it in depth, but this page has a good introductory history of political/editorial cartoons.

There's also a UK Cartoon Archive associated with the university of Kent, and the London-based Cartoon Museum, both of which have some of their archive material on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Patrick Brown

Here's an article I wrote on the subject.

Advertisement