Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sale item query in HMV

Options
  • 30-12-2011 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Hi, just bought heroes series 1 on bluray. When I got it home, I looked at the label at the back and it is showing that the price has been increased for the sale i.e. Previous Price 33.99 and sale price 34.99. The front has one of their pink sale stickers stating the 34.99 price.
    I just want to know if this is false advertising? Obviously its not on sale and what recourse do I have if I want to take it further?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hmm, this is a funny one.

Technically, when a product is on sale, it must have been available for purchase at the higher price for 28 days in any of the stores. However, here you have an example of a price being lower before the "sale".

I'd take it back it and speak to the manager - show him the discrepancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

You were presumably happy to pay 34.99 so I don't see the problem.

What price was it reduced from?

The 33.99 could have been a previous sale, then it may have gone back to the higher price after the sale, then down again to 34.99 - looks like it was released in 2008 so has probably gone through a few sales since.

I have noticed that HMV in particular seem to have large quantities of 'sales stock' that only appears for sales then disappear.

Not sure why anyone would buy a DVD / Blu-ray in a shop anyway. Less than half that price from amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heroes-Season-Blu-ray-Region-Free/dp/B001BMWG1W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1325262407&sr=8-3) and you can get free shipping by spending a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

Bought it because I had a voucher. Its not so much about whether I could have saved some money by buying online (which I would generally do), but that HMV are displaying something as a sale item when in fact its not on sale. I would perfectly happy if they told me that it was a misprint on the label, but want some sort of resolution as to why it happened.
    To be honest not at the point where a euro here or there makes a difference but feel that they should be made aware of it. Pic of the label here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Have to agree with the above poster. I can't understand why anyone would willingly shop in HMV or other high street stores.

Perhaps the OP had a voucher from Christmas etc...

I had a small voucher for HMV went in yesterday and spent a long time strolling the store and left buying nothing. Poor sale to be honest. The Alien Anthology on blu-ray was one purchase I had in mind - it was €60 or €70 in HMV, was tempted to put my voucher (20) toward it, but didn't in the end. Bought the same collection from Amazon last night for €17.95.

OP to be honest it probably isn't worth your while or grief going back to the store, unless you are particularly interested in pursuing it as a matter of principal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

swampy353 wrote: »
    Hi, just bought heroes series 1 on bluray. When I got it home, I looked at the label at the back and it is showing that the price has been increased for the sale i.e. Previous Price 33.99 and sale price 34.99. The front has one of their pink sale stickers stating the 34.99 price.
    I just want to know if this is false advertising? Obviously its not on sale and what recourse do I have if I want to take it further?

1. "Sale" does not mean a discount, it's a retail outlet so all items are considered for sale. If the retailer doesn't advertise the current price as being lower (by a % or amount) than the previous price you have no case.

2. Discounts may not apply to all items. Often discounts only apply to selected items and to varying amounts so make sure your DVD was one of those discounted items.

3. The National Consumer Agency's guideline is that the previous price must be displayed for at least 28 consecutive days during the previous 3 months, and that price be displayed across all branches. While that's only a guideline not law, abiding with a statutory body's guideline is a good defence for any retailer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement