Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop is riddled

Options
  • 30-12-2011 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a good local honest IT technician.
    Me laptop is riddled with god only knows what and is running as slow as tar. Have it about 3/4 years and never had any antivirus software on it bar the free one i got at the start. You could only imagine how bad it is now :eek:
    I don't want to give it to any of the shops like PC World or the likes as they always try push something i don't want or need onto you and can also be a bit pricey.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

this lad has helped me before, jason 086 3470660. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There's a guy after setting up shop beside the Chinese in Ferrybank. Robert something, sorry i cant remember his name.

TBH, its fairly easy to fix, back up everything you want to keep onto an external hard drive or similar and go into help and try reset to factory defaults. Did you get a restore disc with it? If so, run that after back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

If you want to drop it to me I'll clean it up. Call it a Christmas present :-)

(not joking by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Donalh

I do repairs however im based in dublin which is obviously no use to you, however as per prev post back up and reinstall is the best option & more straight forward than you'd think. If you can get your hands on the backup disK (windows disk) then thats half the battle. Let me know what version of windows you have (XP, Vista, 7, Ubuntu etc) adn what model laptop & I'll try to send you few instructional links if you want to have a bash at it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Up2NoGood wrote: »
    this lad has helped me before, jason 086 3470660. good luck

Will give him a buzz later on cheers
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    There's a guy after setting up shop beside the Chinese in Ferrybank. Robert something, sorry i cant remember his name.

TBH, its fairly easy to fix, back up everything you want to keep onto an external hard drive or similar and go into help and try reset to factory defaults. Did you get a restore disc with it? If so, run that after back up.

I know feck all about computers to tell ya so i wouldn't know where to go to back up anything plus i don't think i have the discs i got with the laptop when i bought it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

got my one cleaned up in pc world for 90 euro and its flying again,
    and i tell ya, there was some shyte on it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

O_O
    >_<
    O_O

........christ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

wmpdd3 wrote: »

This. At least try this first. I'm pretty sure it'll be fine following this instruction. People are far too quick to lob the thing into a technician/repair service that will do exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Sorry to say they saw you coming :eek:

polls_simpsons_nelson_haha2_2918_427537_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What is the rate for this type of job?
    I never leave laptop in anywhere as they are usually expensive. I just do the dell restore point thing as a cure all, being sure to keep stuff backed up.
    Laptop is about 6 years old now. Will be in a skip if anything serious goes wrong.  

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

If you want to drop it to me I'll clean it up. Call it a Christmas present :-)

(not joking by the way)

OP, This is by far your cheapest option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Fantastic value that. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

forgot to mention that the 90 euro also included norton security for laptop and 2 home pc s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Black bin job i'm afraid:D

laptop.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

forgot to mention that the 90 euro also included norton security for laptop and 2 home pc s

Not worth a piss tbh. Microsofts own one is miles better then Norton and isnt bloatware and is free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

Avira, avast, avg all better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Helpmypc.ie based in Tramore and can be done online from the comfort of you own home. They have a facebook page and internet site.

No I don't work there but have heard good reports on them. They do a free health check on your pc at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Faq wrote: »
    Avira, avast, avg all better

Avast and AVG are good, but not sure if better than microsoft security essentials. Only using it a few months and seems grand but everyone tells me its the best one for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Is there a reason why they try to push that norton crap on people out in pc world? The workers out there must be on commission or something.
    90euro is a total pisstake. Sorry to say billy, you were had and i hate to see that happening to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Evil-Man.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

dump the laptop get a mac.....seriously savage machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

S28382 wrote: »
    dump the laptop get a mac.....seriously savage machines

hahahaha ohohoho ahueahue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Well (s)he does have a point, your machine wouldn't be swimming with viruses and slow if it were running Mac OS X or Linux.

With Windows machines you really absolutely have to have anti-virus software installed, Microsoft Security Essentials is probably enough but, nearly more importantly, you need to run software update as frequently as possible. It should be setup to do autoupdates as MS issues patches to combat security problems all the time.

If you're not maintaining a Windows machine, it's an absolute liability to other users online as well as yourself and is quite likely being used as a spambot, a proxy server for all sorts of crap, a drone on a botnet where it's being used to do denial of service attacks or who knows what else!

Using anti-virus software and maintaining your PC is a bit like ensuring your cat's wormed. It's not necessarily just for the cat's sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Drop it upto me if yer near hillview. Ill sort it for nothing.

I offered already seany...don't think he's too interested in our generosity!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭eyesquirm

You don't need to reinstall yet - that's a bit drastic.
    Install and update avg and malware bytes, reboot in safe mode, run both programs there and delete what they find. Reboot as normal and see if that's any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

seanybiker wrote: »
    Drop it upto me if yer near hillview. Ill sort it for nothing.
    I offered already seany...don't think he's too interested in our generosity!

Sorry for not getting back to you lads. Cheers for the offers lads but one of me cousins is having a look at it for me. I didn't no he was into computers and stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Why don't you just backup your data and use the system recovery partition on the HDD to do a recovery to "out of box" condition.

Then install AVG free antivirus.

Then transfer your data back.

Cost = Nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

cococoady wrote: »
    Sorry for not getting back to you lads. Cheers for the offers lads but one of me cousins is having a look at it for me. I didn't no he was into computers and stuff like that.

The 2 of them are only looking for material from you to justify the years supply of Kleenex they got for Christmas!

Especially seanie :D

• Advertisement

The stuff that seany is into can't even be found on the internet. (apparently)

Advertisement