Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop is riddled

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

old_aussie wrote: »
    Why don't you just backup your data and use the system recovery partition on the HDD to do a recovery to "out of box" condition.

Then install AVG free antivirus.

Then transfer your data back.

Cost = Nothing

Are you sure AVG is still free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

gugleguy wrote: »
    Are you sure AVG is still free?

http://free.avg.com/gb-en/free-antivirus-download

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You gotta love a recession. It brings out all sorts of people who believe they can do anything and everything. Bring your laptop/computer to someone who actually has a good bit of experience and knowledge behind them in IT. Someone who will give correct advise and do a good and proper job. There are loads of IT people out there, many with qualifications and many who don't but do an ace job but there are loads of clowns out there also who do dodgy jobs and give poor advise.

Iv been doing IT for over 10 years. I took a backseat in doing repairs and custom builds during college (doing an IT degree) and to focus on other things. I miss it but I look after a few businesses in town, and a few clients who have been with me since the start. Ill likely start it back up properly in the New Year.

AVG is not as good as it once was, and the free version is poor. They do offer a paid version, I wouldn't be awfully sure what its like. I wouldn't be a fan of the free Anti Virus applications anymore, and wouldn't recommend Norton which is dished out like hot curry by the bigger firms. Id recommend products like Kaspersky, Eset, and Comodo.

Some IT companies will go the lazy way out - back up your data, format, and re-install. Its a quick and easy way out, but can be a pain for many clients who have to go installing everything again. So, others like myself, will actually go to identify the problem and have a range of tools and knowledge available to remove the basic problem to the trickier problem. It takes time this way but easier for the client.

Some of the lads in PC World know their stuff, and they have cut their prices but bigger firms charge more than the smaller guys. Overheads etc. I guess. A lot of repairs are not done in house in PC World anyway, and it gets sent away to the manufacturer which takes a painstaking amount of time (which is why I tell people to avoid their warranty extensions, not worth it!).

For those more tech savvy, there are very good folk on the Computers & Technology Forum on Boards who will talk you through fixing laptop issues. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Sully wrote: »
    Some IT companies will go the lazy way out - back up your data, format, and re-install. Its a quick and easy way out, but can be a pain for many clients who have to go installing everything again. So, others like myself, will actually go to identify the problem and have a range of tools and knowledge available to remove the basic problem to the trickier problem. It takes time this way but easier for the client.
    Yeah I was going to mention this too, complete re-installs require all your programs (e.g. Office, anti-virus, Flash, Adobe, Firefox/Chrome etc) to be re-installed, not to mention all the Windows automatic updates would need to be re-downloaded and installed. Takes ages to do. Like you said, better to first identify and solve the actual problem(s) rather than completely re-install which should only be done when all else fails. I think it's crazy that companies actually charge €50+ to just do a re-install, and give back a computer with everything gone.

Follow some basic tips and you'll be okay:

1. Regularly backup all your files to an external hard drive.
    2. Use a program like CCleaner or just do Run>MSConfig to manage your startup programs - a lot of the time computers are slow is because they have loads of programs running when the computer boots up. CCleaner will also help fix any registry problems.
    3. Don't install any toolbars in your browser or other programs you don't need.
    4. Torrent programs like Limewire are wicked dodgy. If you're going to download stuff you should use better sources, but any film/music files you download have a chance of being infected with viruses.
    5. If you have a problem, Google it or use forums like Boards to find a solution. If you're stuck surely you know someone with a bit of IT knowledge who could take a look. YouTube is also a very good source for seeing how to fix problems yourself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I don't see a problem with €50 for a format and re-install tbh. If a lot of time is spent on a job from someone who has experience in such, and is not purposely ripping you off, than it seems like a fair price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

ok.

Advertisement