Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is my Eircom BB so slow?

Options
  • 30-12-2011 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

I hope someone from Eircom will help get to the bottom of this as we are really struggling. We have been customers for years and would rather not look elsewhere.

We live 3 miles from our nearest exchange, which is Littleton. When our line was tested we were told it was capable of handling 1meg – but all we have ever got was 0.23/4, less than a quarter of a meg.

Is there anything that can be done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

pat13wx wrote: »
    I hope someone from Eircom will help get to the bottom of this as we are really struggling. We have been customers for years and would rather not look elsewhere.

We live 3 miles from our nearest exchange, which is Littleton. When our line was tested we were told it was capable of handling 1meg – but all we have ever got was 0.23/4, less than a quarter of a meg.

Is there anything that can be done?

Hi pat13wx,

Thanks for posting on eircom /Boards.

Please take a look at the following, and if you're still getting slow speeds, PM me with your home phone number.

I should be able to advise you on how to best setup your broadband connection. Pay particular attention to 'scanning' your PC for spyware and open applications and sessions running in the background on your computer.

Broadband Check

If you have not reported this to Broadband Support, you may wish to call them direct :

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

Thank you Ant for that very quick response.

I just tried all you suggested and this is the latest speeds I am getting:

1677455812.png

As you can see it is pretty desperate. Anyway, I have sent you a PM with more details.

Thanks again,

Pat

Thanks pat13wx,

If you have tried everything I have suggested on the Broadband Check, and you're convinced this issue is not an internal wiring or personal computer issue, then you will need to report this direct to eircom Technical Support.

If you have not as yet called into Technical Support, they will have to recheck one or two things with you before this can be escalated to engineers. They will also advise you on the engineering call out charge, if this is a non-eircom issue. I would therefore guardedly advise you just to recheck you have followed the Broadband Checklist again.

Pay particular attention to spyware and ensure you're testing your broadband speed with ONLY one pc connected over ethernet. This is often found to be the source of slow broadband speeds. For example, testing 2 or 3 PCs over wireless, at the same time, would not be considered as fully testing your broadband speed, as outlined on the Broadband Checklist.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Kind regards,
    Ant

Thank you Ant for that very quick response.

I just tried all you suggested and this is the latest speeds I am getting:

1677455812.png

As you can see it is pretty desperate. Anyway, I have sent you a PM with more details.

Thanks again,

Pat

Thanks Ant for your efforts.

I have checked things again and the results are almost the same as before. I will get on to tech support and see if I can get them to come out and do a full check and hopefully get to the bottom of this. Thanks also for your very helpful PM, which I will act on.

1683644082.png

Thanks pat13wx,

As advised by PM, your particular broadband connection is governed by your setup from the exchange. This will have a major bearing overall on your ability to avail of higher BB speeds.
    Please ensure you check the Broadband Check, before you may need to call into Support to save your time.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Thanks Ant for your efforts.

I have checked things again and the results are almost the same as before. I will get on to tech support and see if I can get them to come out and do a full check and hopefully get to the bottom of this. Thanks also for your very helpful PM, which I will act on.

1683644082.png

• Advertisement

Thanks Ant. I will do.

Advertisement