Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats this in my tank?

Options
  • 30-12-2011 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Was cleaning out my tank this morning and came across this thing. Anyone know what it is? sorry about the bad quality pics.
    2lxh7ye.jpg

1znlpw8.jpg

szy1wh.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It looks like a larva of some sort, maybe a stonefly or damsel fly. What's in your tank? Do you get your water from the tap or from a well? Is it possible that something could have gotten in and laid eggs in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

kylith wrote: »
    It looks like a larva of some sort, maybe a stonefly or damsel fly. What's in your tank? Do you get your water from the tap or from a well? Is it possible that something could have gotten in and laid eggs in there?

yeah, there is alot of snails in it from plants that I bought for the tank. There are alot of eggs but I thought it came from the guppy fish that I have. Is that possible?

Edit just looked up at those it doesn't look like it could be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

nope, definitely not. As kylith says, looks like an insect larva

I'd say that either it came in with the plants that you bought or a damsel fly got into your house and laid eggs in your tank. It's definitely not from any of your fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

yeah, there is alot of snails in it from plants that I bought for the tank. There are alot of eggs but I thought it came from the guppy fish that I have. Is that possible?

Edit just looked up at those it doesn't look like it could be either.

Guppies are live bearers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

looks a bit like a mosquito larva

If you look at the head it's much more like a dragonfly or damselfly nymph. Mosquito larvae are generally much smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Looks like its going to be a earwig

I doubt it. Earwigs aren't aquatic (the mother guards her young in a hole in the ground), they're also tiny and look very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Damselfly larva.

• Advertisement
Advertisement