Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glue on tomtom usb connector, wont charge

Options
  • 30-12-2011 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how to remove glue from the usb connection on my tomtom? The soldering must have worn off and the connector came loose inside the gps. Got it open and my friend decided to glue it back on without me knowing. Now I can't get the glue off and I know even tho its on in the right place it wont charge cause its not soldered. Anyone Idea's about how to clean off the glue? Tried WD-40 and its still holding strong :(.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is it just a standard USB to mini or micro?
    If so it would be easier and cheap enough to buy a new one.
    If your looking for another type of cable check here.
    http://www.tomtom.com/en_ie/shop/accessories/chargers-connect-cables/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Its not the flat type that plugs into a pc lets say its the other end. The type that plugs into a camera. But that isn't the issue. Its that its glued to board and it wont charge because of that that. Bascially I don't think its full metal on metal because of the glue. I don't know how to get glue off then try to solder it. If it still doesnt work after solder then il leave it but id like ot try it first.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Trying to picture this. Is it just the lead thas affected or is it the connection on the unit itself?

The connection on the unit itself.

OK .
    can you post up a pic of the connection.

• Advertisement

Tried upload pic from my desktop but I cant. Just comes up with the path wont upload the pic. I leabe http in and take it out. How can I upload from desktop? C:\Documents and Settings\Gareth\Desktop ? image is called image0157.jpg

To upload from your desktop don't use insert image.
    Goto manage attachments and browse to the location.

Image0157.jpg

I didn't see the attachment button :o Quality is crap tho :(

Can't really see much. You would need to proceed very carefully to avoid further damage .I would try going at it very gently with a pin. But its your unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

from : http://www.supergluecorp.com/removingsuperglue.html

Not to worry, for even though Super Glue is incredibly strong, it has one weakness: acetone.

Acetone is often found in household nail polish remover, and a small amount on the end of a Q-tip or cotton swab applied directly to the glue should dissolve the bond without damaging the skin. Be very cautious in gently peeling the skin apart as in removing a bandage from the skin; pulling the skin apart may rip the skin! Read the label to make sure that the remover actually contains acetone, as more and more manufacturers are turning away from the chemical because of the growing popularity of acrylic nails (which are loosened by acetone).

• Advertisement
Advertisement