Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to find specific research material.

Options
  • 30-12-2011 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am new to boards and have no idea which forum to post this in, just wondering if anyone can help me.

Basically I am doing research on famine portrayal in the media - the effect images are having etc. I have been doing a lot of research on the Kevin Carter photo and have read numerous books that refer to its various uses for NGOs, advertising and certain campaigns. However I can find absolutely no records of these. I know it was originally published in The New York Times on March 26th 1993, but I need to evidence of what other publications it apparently appeared in.

Also if anyone has any advice on how to find famine images as they appeared in newspapers (as in the actual layout of a newspaper) like this one http://mariashriver.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/590x-scale/NYT-2011-East-Africa-Famine-cover.jpeg , without having to subscribe to archives, I would very much appreciate it. :)

Hopefully SOMEONE can help. I have very little hair left to pull out.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I am new to boards and have no idea which forum to post this in, just wondering if anyone can help me.

Basically I am doing research on famine portrayal in the media - the effect images are having etc. I have been doing a lot of research on the Kevin Carter photo and have read numerous books that refer to its various uses for NGOs, advertising and certain campaigns. However I can find absolutely no records of these. I know it was originally published in The New York Times on March 26th 1993, but I need to evidence of what other publications it apparently appeared in.

Also if anyone has any advice on how to find famine images as they appeared in newspapers (as in the actual layout of a newspaper) like this one http://mariashriver.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/590x-scale/NYT-2011-East-Africa-Famine-cover.jpeg , without having to subscribe to archives, I would very much appreciate it. :)

Hopefully SOMEONE can help. I have very little hair left to pull out.

Thanks for reading!

Do you have access to college resources - databases, journals etc?

Content analyses of this sort regularly feature in media journals, and a few keyword searches through academic search complete, or within the main journals themselves should yield a few hits to get you going.

I've seen lexisnexis cited a number of times in papers reporting content analysis sampling - maybe this might be a good place to start?

Advertisement