Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BDO Lakeside 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

PDC darts are better but I'v been to the Lakeside twice and the PDC comes no where near the athmosphere.

Load of idiots plastered at the PDC with no clue about darts, fun one night but gets boring quick. Looks great on telly but not half as good in real life.

At the lakeside, real darts fans who love the game make the experience much more enjoyable. The standing ovation Tony O'Shea got at the end of the Semi final would not and could not have happened at the PDC.

While I wish the darts/averages/players whatever were up to the PDC level at the Lakeside the BDO is the real home of darts.

EDIT:

Sorry Last line should read:

While I wish the darts/averages/players whatever were up to the PDC level at the BDO the Lakeside is the real home of darts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

cgarrad wrote: »
    While I wish the darts/averages/players whatever were up to the PDC level at the Lakeside the BDO is the real home of darts.

I disagree. And I don't want to: I love the romantic notion of the BDO being where the real darts fans are, love the Lakeside (reminds me of my childhood when I didn't have Sky and had only heard of the legend of Phil Taylor, but was firmly on Team Barney and convinced nobody in the world could beat him) and so on.

But the BDO have sullied their own name by being unable to move with the times and worrying more about trying to 'take down' the PDC while leaving their own tour to rot. You only have to look at the treatment of the likes of Anastasia and Hankey...while their own tournament suffers from perhaps the lowest standard to date and such amateur errors as the air con affecting BOTH semi-finals, having to change the board etc. If they put the energy into running a good ship as they do being bitter with the PDC, they'd probably get somewhere.

I wish the BDO were the real home of darts. But at this stage, they're more like the old, grumpy grandad of darts blabbing about what things were like in their day and how kids today don't have a clue...despite the kids today doing a better job than they ever did to begin with.

Sorry I got the last line wrong :o

While I wish the darts/averages/players whatever were up to the PDC level at the BDO the Lakeside is the real home of darts.

I too hate the BDO ;)

Hankey could surprise at the PDC (if he goes)

He can play but if he has a problem with the Lakeside crowd wait till he hears the din at the PDC ;-)

I can see him throwing darts at the audience...

I'd agree with that then. Moreso than Ally Pally anyway. But the Circus Tavern will always be special to me too...I loved how it felt like a rowdy pub but you were watching the biggest games in the world happen in it. Back in the days when everyone thought the BDO were the la-di-da outfit with their big venue and terrestrial TV deal...but real darts fans knew the Sky stuff was were the business happened. How times have changed!

Anyway, I fancy O'Shea to hold off Kist tonight. Hankey was a level above Kist yesterday when he wasn't throwing a wobbler, and I think O'Shea is on par with him with a much better head for the occasion. He'll also have previous World Final experience on his side. And, we know Kist as the guy who never cracks under pressure, a World Final is a completely different animal and we saw how much it meant to him last night. O'Shea 7-4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Sid Waddell has tweeted that O'Shea is jumping the sinking ship as well.

and the pdc have released as statement saying the 4 semi finalists from yesterday have been offered PDC tour cards.

the players have until wednesday to accept the tour cards or not.

its going to be an interesting few days.

back on topic.

if Tony plays like he did against Adams, it'll be a cakewalk. however if the game goes on like last nights, id fancy the younger man on coming through. i thought O'shea looked knackered going into that last set last night. Or was that just me who thought that?

• Advertisement

Could be a serious night of darts in more ways than one....

15 mins ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Only reason why I prefer the coverage on ESPN to BBC. Colin Murray isn't on ESPN.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Only reason why I prefer the coverage on ESPN to BBC. Colin Murray isn't on ESPN.

It's also in HD on ESPN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

bbc are some tools,missing the start due to technical problems

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

it's absolutely soul-destorying that both semi-finals in the bdo had winners averaging in the 80's - if the winner doesn't average 90+ in the final then I think the tournament should go

• Advertisement

unknown13 wrote: »

Don't understand the Colin Murray hatred tbh. He seems more enthusiastic about the darts than he does his big gig on MOTD2 and is pretty much the perfect fanboy figure to suit the role, while Bobby plays the expert analyst.

Dream line-up for commentators/analysts between the two organisations would be those two, Bristow, John Gwynne, Tony Green, Sid & Mardle.

How many bounce outs is that for O'shea now?

This tournament has been the worse advertisement for winmau ever,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

That 6th set could be the turning point in the game. Kist with a 4-2 advantage now and this might be too much for O'Shea to claw back. Saying that I hope O'Shea wins and proves me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Did I hear Bobby George correctly?

52k for a nine darter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yep, £52K.

They were probably able to insure it with a bookies at £7K or £8K though.

O'Shea's only hope at this stage is to keep nicking legs like that and hitting him hard. But Kist seems unshakeable under the pressure...proving my earlier point wrong. Would love to see him in the PDC.

As much as I'd like to see O'Shea win, I question whether or not he has the bottle.

Nothing seems to phase Kist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Jaysus, this should be over just in time for the Milan derby!

Feel sorry for O' Shea. I don't think he'll ever win this title now!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Jaysus, this should be over just in time for the Milan derby!

Feel sorry for O' Shea. I don't think he'll ever win this title now!

Agreed. This is gonna sting for a long time. Can see it in his face he's a beaten man.

I'm not posting in this thread mid-match anymore, every time I make a call the exact opposite of what I just said happens in the match...haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

For the first time this week Kist's head is starting to drop. He looks wrecked tired too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

getting interesting now. Kist's head is gone at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Kist's girlfriend does'nt look happy.

Game on. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Awesome arrows from O'Shea!!

Come on Tony!!

That was some leg of darts from O'Shea considering how he's been playing tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He can't pull this back again surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭No.125

they think it's all over....it is now!!

Well deserved win for Kist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

i'd beat kist , toilet darts from both of em

roll on the pdc on sky

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement