Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BDO Lakeside 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 seanpq2012

I know how to use the enter button alright mate. I'm a qualified IT technician so don't worry about that. I just can't be bothered. You just don't get it do you? When Chisnall played Adams in the final a few years ago people were saying it's poor darts. When Whitlock played Webster in the final, the BDO haters were saying the level was poor. Now these guys are doing great in the PDC and people are saying how great they are. Do you not get the sublime hypocracy of this? The truth is the standard was extremely high but maybe not as high as Phil Taylor. Because that's the only difference - Taylor. The rest of the top PDC players could easily be beaten by the likes of Hankey, O'Shea and many others. I agree if the player drain continues, it will get thinner and thinner but then new players emerge as we have seen in this event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

seanpq2012 wrote: »
    I know how to use the enter button alright mate. I'm a qualified IT technician so don't worry about that. I just can't be bothered. You just don't get it do you? When Chisnall played Adams in the final a few years ago people were saying it's poor darts. When Whitlock played Webster in the final, the BDO haters were saying the level was poor. Now these guys are doing great in the PDC and people are saying how great they are. Do you not get the sublime hypocracy of this? The truth is the standard was extremely high but maybe not as high as Phil Taylor. Because that's the only difference - Taylor. The rest of the top PDC players could easily be beaten by the likes of Hankey, O'Shea and many others. I agree if the player drain continues, it will get thinner and thinner but then new players emerge as we have seen in this event.

You're in one sense

Yes Whitlock, Webster and Chizzy where obviously in the BDO, but their standards are MILES BETTER since they've switched. That's not opinion, that's fact

Whitlock never averaged what he does now when he wad at the lakeside, and the same goes for Webster to.

Another mull point wad the PDC final. Andy Hamilton did have a fairly poor final, but averaged 100 in nearly all his other games, and Lewis wad the same

The BDO players are talented, of that there is no doubt. But for them to compete, week in, week out in the PDC, they HAVE TO RAISE THEIR GAME.

Personally, I think they can do that, because they're all talented, and playing against better opposition and on a more regular basis will raise their game

Let's just sit back and enjoy the quality darts lads. No need for all the arguments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

really enjoyed the final. would have liked to see silverback win but kist played really well, well done to him. its great to have a month of watch darts between the pdc and bdo. i think tony green said he is retiring and if he is , i will miss him personally as the voice of darts on the beeb :)

just been on the superstars of darts forum, deano has also joined the pdc along with the west brothers (steve and tony). harms says he will stay in the bdo for now and it will be interesting to see if o'shea or kist will make the switch. i would like to see o'shea in the pdc as he has the game, experience etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Also please for the love of god if you are going to continue this argument figure out how to use the enter button and space out your replies, they are as terminal to read as Olly Crofts business skills.
    Thank you! i couldnt be bothered reading the replies,eyes sore:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

@Fits Morris. You're absolutely right on that. To put the record straight further with Dionsiseire. Taylor did not move because of the standard. Basically, he moved at the inception of the PDC because he, and others, wanted more dough.

absolute horse**** and proves you dont have a clue what you are talking about and know very little about the inception of the PDC. it was never about the money for the group that formed the PDC. quite simply darts had suffered a major blow when the media turned on the sport and demonised the likes of jockey wilson for their drinking on stage. The english tv channels didn't want to cover darts anymore and nobody would sponsor tournaments. Taylor, Bristow and all the others quite simply wanted to play darts for a living and wanted a professional career in the sport and Olly Croft was doing **** all to help and promote the sport at this time.

i still enjoy the darts in both organizations so you cant label me a PDC man. your comments betray a vast ignorance about the sport and its history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Others have said enough of a perfect reply to this already.

An IT technician who STILL has not found the enter key.

Can't see that the BDO players raise their game entering the PDC while arguing that the likes of Adams beating Chisnall with a 95 average is the top level of darts (and for gods sake, Taylor isn't the only one putting in silly averages anymore, grow up).

If the rest of the PDC could be beaten by Hankey / O'Shea et al then we shall see this season with them all jumping ship. Next years BDO is going to look oh so sparce with no name favourites except Adams. Maybe that's exactly how he wants it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

the other parts are on you tube,some people may not have seen the documentary,if you havent and want to know why and how the split happened,watch this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Let's just sit back and enjoy the quality darts lads. No need for all the arguments

Nothing wrong with a good argument/debate as long as it doesn't descend into a farce/name calling etc.

Nothing wrong with a good argument/debate as long as it doesn't descend into a farce/name calling etc.

exactly mate, i don't mind the debate on the pdc v bdo etc. always a good bit of banter with that one. i see someone has posted on AHrs about whether darts is a sport. i gave them my response on that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Good final with a bit of suspense with O'Shea's 3 set turn around but the most consistent player came good in the end. After being almost robotic since the 1st round, it was sweet (?) to see Kist break down in tears of joy in the practice area when he met with family and friends.

I hope he stays in BDO for another year, mainly as a mark of respect to the competition and to beat Adams (obv if he wants to go pro we'll see him in PDC). To be honest I just want everyone to beat Adams for the next few years - the guy is more harmful to the BDO than the PDC is. Whilst it's plain to see he loves the BDO he's way beyond fanatical and completely blinded by how the BDO as an organisation could be moved forward (as a previous poster stated, he possibly doesn't want it to as it suits him as it is).

I'd agree with a few posters in terms of wanting to see ESPN take on the tournament full time. They may also provide better coverage of other BDO events like the Winmau World Masters (which was shown on ITV last year but the coverage was horrendous - stage, venue, setting, intro's - everything).

Whilst there is and always will be PDC/BDO arguments, I think true darts fans just want to see more darts and would all agree to see the BDO coverage being more substantial and better presented (instead of the ridiculous bias in this years WC).

Wimbago wrote: »
    Good final with a bit of suspense with O'Shea's 3 set turn around but the most consistent player came good in the end. After being almost robotic since the 1st round, it was sweet (?) to see Kist break down in tears of joy in the practice area when he met with family and friends.

I hope he stays in BDO for another year, mainly as a mark of respect to the competition and to beat Adams (obv if he wants to go pro we'll see him in PDC). To be honest I just want everyone to beat Adams for the next few years - the guy is more harmful to the BDO than the PDC is. Whilst it's plain to see he loves the BDO he's way beyond fanatical and completely blinded by how the BDO as an organisation could be moved forward (as a previous poster stated, he possibly doesn't want it to as it suits him as it is).

I'd agree with a few posters in terms of wanting to see ESPN take on the tournament full time. They may also provide better coverage of other BDO events like the Winmau World Masters (which was shown on ITV last year but the coverage was horrendous - stage, venue, setting, intro's - everything).

Whilst there is and always will be PDC/BDO arguments, I think true darts fans just want to see more darts and would all agree to see the BDO coverage being more substantial and better presented (instead of the ridiculous bias in this years WC).

agree with you mate. im happy to watch any tournament pdc or bdo. i enjoyed the final , o'shea came back very well but overall kist deserved his victory. played well all week. i think myself kist might stay on like webster did and try and defend his title before going to the pdc. o'shea will be offered a tour card from the pdc and tony might accept that. he is certainly good enough to compete on the pdc tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Philips playing a bit crap. Definitely not his A game...and he tumbles out of the competition...with my outright each way bet lol.

A dutch player will definitely win it this year imo

They really were superior. A worthy winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭vindaloo1

The Masters was on ESPN last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Lemegeton wrote: »
    absolute horse**** and proves you dont have a clue what you are talking about and know very little about the inception of the PDC. it was never about the money for the group that formed the PDC. quite simply darts had suffered a major blow when the media turned on the sport and demonised the likes of jockey wilson for their drinking on stage. The english tv channels didn't want to cover darts anymore and nobody would sponsor tournaments. Taylor, Bristow and all the others quite simply wanted to play darts for a living and wanted a professional career in the sport and Olly Croft was doing **** all to help and promote the sport at this time.

i still enjoy the darts in both organizations so you cant label me a PDC man. your comments betray a vast ignorance about the sport and its history

So it was about money:confused:

Anyway, if you like darts you'll surely watch both, If you are Johnny come lately you'll exclusively watch PDC and talk down about BDO.
    I'm open to correction of course. I watched BDO and then PDC also when it first came on sky with its tiny number of players because I like darts. I don't and didn;t care which organisation it was.
    BDO is terribly outdated but there is a certain charm to it at the same time.
    The PDC crowd is absolutely horrible but the standard of Darts is so much better which more than compensates.

agree with you mate. im happy to watch any tournament pdc or bdo. i enjoyed the final , o'shea came back very well but overall kist deserved his victory. played well all week. i think myself kist might stay on like webster did and try and defend his title before going to the pdc. o'shea will be offered a tour card from the pdc and tony might accept that. he is certainly good enough to compete on the pdc tour

Kist was the best player all week, he took a well deserved win.

Now the PDC tour cards are back on for the four semi finalists, then agree, O'Shea might make the switch.

Kist supposed to be staying on for another year - according to another forum anyway.

vindaloo1 wrote: »
    The Masters was on ESPN last year.

Apologies, year before then? Think it was Adams-Kelett final?

Roadend wrote: »
    The PDC crowd is absolutely horrible but the standard of Darts is so much better which more than compensates.

I rather watch darts when the crowd behaves like the BDO but its one of the selling point of the PDC to re-create a football match like atmosphere. The quietness of the crowd before a player hits a needed score only adds to the drama imo.

Mervin King has resorted to ear-plugs and I'd say Hankey may go the same route (even though with the level of noise at a PDC event he wont hear the 'calling out').

Apologies, year before then? Think it was Adams-Kelett final?

No that was BBC - terrible venue for the qualifiers but OK for the stage games.

Don't think the Masters was ever on ITV.

Quality of coverage is personal opinion. It's the same Outside Broadcast people that do this for BBC and ESPN at the Masters (SIS) - so then it's down to what is shown on screen. Either you like the presenters and how they fill the gaps or you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

He is a world champion against a field of players minus the 128 best players in the world. It's a romantic notion calling it a world title but it's not anymore. That's like me setting up a 64 man tournament and calling it a world title because I've spanish and brazilian and american mates playing in it.

You know the best 128 players in the world are not all in the PDC so no point in saying it.
    The difference in standard ain't really there. That's a fad. The stats make my point for me. If the PDC was so great, they would not keep poaching BDO players. Simples.

Funnily enough if you did actually look at the overall stats year on year you would know the difference in standard does exist.

Poaching them? Its the players choice to move to test themselves against the best and for a chance at the big bucks.

Not many up and coming young dart players start off in the PDC because its so much harder. Lewis did and now players like Monk etc are coming through the ranks.
    Next thing. Average comparing, you cannot compare one game of darts with another game of darts. That is plain stupid. Different opponents, different pressures, different crowds. It's not a measurable stat.

Of course its a measureable stat, its the only way its possible to compare players who havent played against each other.

You can take variables like pressure into account but of course you can compare averages.

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    Not many up and coming young dart players start off in the PDC because its so much harder. Lewis did and now players like Monk etc are coming through the ranks.
    Lewis started in the BDO system - he wasn't in it for long, but tried qualifying for the Winmau World Masters before going to the PDC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Wow you are correct, always thought he just jumped straight in at the deep end.

Ok, Dionsiseire. Just to spare your poor withering eyesight, I'll use the enter button - if I

can find it. I'm not a massive expert on darts. I'm very poor at playing but I have a go. I

have watched it since about 2000 on the BBC and about in the time I have seen quite a

bit of the PDC events too. I don't pay for sky though out of principal so I may watch a

bit at a mates house or in the pub. Anyway, regarding the West brothers, that made me

laugh. They're moving to the PDC! As if they need a lift in standard, sure they're not

even any good in the so-called inferior BDO. Both out first round this year. Winstanley is

going to but I'm afraid as big as PDC darts may be, if all these players go over, the field

will just get too big and these guys will have the devil's own job trying to earn money

there. My guess is that the likes of Hankey will end up making less in the PDC. It's not

always a great idea - look at Jelle Klaasen and Van Gerwen.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Wow you are correct, always thought he just jumped straight in at the deep end.

So did I, but Sean Magowan from Sligo told me last year that he beat Lewis that year in the qualifiers.

No that was BBC - terrible venue for the qualifiers but OK for the stage games.

Don't think the Masters was ever on ITV.

Quality of coverage is personal opinion. It's the same Outside Broadcast people that do this for BBC and ESPN at the Masters (SIS) - so then it's down to what is shown on screen. Either you like the presenters and how they fill the gaps or you don't.

the masters was on itv mate right up to 1988 when they pulled the plug on it. also itv stopped showing the MFI World Matchplay after 1988. the masters was left untelevised from 1993 to 2000. sky showed the masters in 1992. bbc from 2001 to 2010 then ESPN from 2011 onwards ;)

the masters was on itv mate right up to 1988 when they pulled the plug on it.

that probably explains the poor setting and coverage then - Wimbago, were you asleep for 20 odd years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Ok, Dionsiseire. Just to spare your poor withering eyesight, I'll use the enter button - if I

can find it. I'm not a massive expert on darts. I'm very poor at playing but I have a go. I

have watched it since about 2000 on the BBC and about in the time I have seen quite a

bit of the PDC events too. I don't pay for sky though out of principal so I may watch a

bit at a mates house or in the pub. Anyway, regarding the West brothers, that made me

laugh. They're moving to the PDC! As if they need a lift in standard, sure they're not

even any good in the so-called inferior BDO. Both out first round this year. Winstanley is

going to but I'm afraid as big as PDC darts may be, if all these players go over, the field

will just get too big and these guys will have the devil's own job trying to earn money

there. My guess is that the likes of Hankey will end up making less in the PDC. It's not

always a great idea - look at Jelle Klaasen and Van Gerwen.

my eyes are sore:eek:

Chorkle, chorkle. You're hilarious. A bit like your wrist I guess.
    BERBA. Are you perhaps named after a Bulgarian striker? I suppose you could probably play football like him too since you claim that you are capable of beating a world champion - Christian Kist - at darts.
    Moron.

that probably explains the poor setting and coverage then - Wimbago, were you asleep for 20 odd years?

Some would say that :o

Was convinced it was but sure it don't matter. Could have done a better job of it since they have the structure and times done very well. Its meant to be the #2 tournament for the BDO and seemed a bit half arsed.

Are there any more televised BDO tournaments scheduled for ESPN other the WC and Masters?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Can the BBC/ESPN please take the microphones out of the board? It sounds like they're throwing javelins, not little darts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement