Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BDO Lakeside 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

But ESPN show college football, and millions tune in, even though some could moan and say its not the NFL and its not professional. I presume they show golf tournaments that are not the Masters, rugby matches that are not the World Cup, they may even show teams like Ireland playing soccer when of course real soccer fans (if they think the same way as some darts fans) would sneer and say they'd only watch Spain or Brazil.

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I prefer the BDO to the PDC. It's more authentic and I think your average pub player can identify with it more than the PDC which is a bit more hollywood glam.
    There is no doubt that the darts are not of the same quality overall but the there are some great battles and incredible tension at times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 243 ✭✭Fits Morris

gramar wrote: »
    I prefer the BDO to the PDC. It's more authentic and I think your average pub player can identify with it more than the PDC which is a bit more hollywood glam.
    There is no doubt that the darts are not of the same quality overall but the there are some great battles and incredible tension at times.
    I'm not against the PDC and I enjoy their tournament but I too prefer the BDO. The darts in the PDC is of a high standard and that's great but the Sky hype, the dancing girls and the drunken crowds shouting abuse is quite off-putting. There are more characters in the BDO and the atmosphere at Lakeside is second to none. I also feel that there is a constant attempt from PDC people to belittle the BDO and the standard of dartsa there which I find objectionable and very small minded, as well as downright false as the standard is excellent. Personally I think the game actually benefits from having two World Championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Anyone who doesn't like the hype and dancing girls are strange imo. BDO is ok, it's not a patch on the PDC though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

What the BDO players are suffering from IMO is a complete lack of TV exposure. Some of these players are producing outstanding averages in floor tournaments every weekend but then when it comes to Lakeside they freeze in front of the cameras and don't produce their best darts and not playing enough times on TV is a lot to blame IMO.

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    Anyone who doesn't like the hype and dancing girls are strange imo. BDO is ok, it's not a patch on the PDC though

I don't much like the hype. All close ups and slow mo shots. Pffft. Get on with it.

My wife isn't in to the dancing girls. She's just not a big fan of t n a.

I guess we're both half strange...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

personally i love both the pdc and bdo wc. ok so the averages, standard in some of the bdo wc games mightn't be as high as in the pdc but having said that the last bdo finals were very exciting and enjoyable to watch. we could have a very good game early on if waites and hankey meet each other in round 2. wolfie will be hard to beat, due to his consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

The BDO is the non-league of Darts. They can barely scrape together 32 palyers for the "world", and I use that word losely", title. Only two tournaments on TV, and most of it shown at 11pm at night,

All the talent and competition is in the PDC, This years World title had some of the best matches, and two epic semi finals. Love the fact that there is wall to wall darts at christmas, and loads of tourneys duing the year, including the Premier league. awesome!

I suppose if you enjoy knitting, then the BDO is for you....nice day out, having a pint, read a I paper and the darts are on the the background...

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    I suppose if you enjoy knitting, then the BDO is for you....nice day out, having a pint, read a I paper and the darts are on the the background...

The Big Evil? Wrestling fan by any chance?

Hmmmmm. I suppose if you enjoy sweaty men in tights and a nice line in choreographed moves...have you ever thought of moving up to ballet?

Latest betting odds from onsite bookmaker at Lakeside Coral,link; www.bdodarts.com/newsitem.aspx?nid=1582

Winstanley,Hankey and Phillips all attracting interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'd have to go for Winstanley to win this

The Big Evil? Wrestling fan by any chance?

Hmmmmm. I suppose if you enjoy sweaty men in tights and a nice line in choreographed moves...have you ever thought of moving up to ballet?

Hmm how are you making a link from my user name to watching wrestling?? Sounds like you like sweaty men in tights..

Sorry I hit a nerve, didnt think the BDO had much of a following, but there you go...we found their fan...

go get your pipe and slippers and lookforward to getting the kettle on at 11:30pm to watch their full highlights coverage :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

go get your pipe and slippers and lookforward to getting the kettle on at 11:30pm to watch their full highlights coverage :rolleyes:

Every game that isn't shown live on BBC will be shown live on ESPN this year so need for BBC's terrible highlights show.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Every game that isn't shown live on BBC will be shown live on ESPN this year so need for BBC's terrible highlights show.

Game changer......cool....so are they finally getting their sh!t together?

Barney might return!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

When is the final?

Hmm how are you making a link from my user name to watching wrestling?? Sounds like you like sweaty men in tights..

Sorry I hit a nerve, didnt think the BDO had much of a following, but there you go...we found their fan...

You possibly do not know a huge amount about darts and you may well be carried away by all the Sky hype because it is all a bit exciting, but I'd be fairly comfortable the viewing figures for the BDO outstrip those of the PDC. I doubt I'll be alone watching it.

As for the wrestling link, is this not you selling tickets to Wrestlemania?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71580787

No? Same name, same pic etc. etc. You sure that's not you? Could it be someone hacking into your account?

So that's how I made the link between your name and wrestling. Was I wrong? You sure? Oh and Google tells me the Big Evil is the sometime name for a wrestler called the Undertaker. Why are you trying to hide your love for wrestling? You think people will take you more seriously on sports or something?

As I was saying, sweaty men in tights...

9 times and reigning Ladies World Champion Trina Gulliver will be defending her title despite the sad passing of her mother in the early hours of this morning,link; www.bdodarts.com/newsitem.aspx?nid=1586

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Wolfie vs Mitchell just on now

Even enough game but the standard is quite low. The only thing that's bothering me is the BBC shoddy camera work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ANAPOLIS

22 darts to win the first leg

16 for scotty to win 2nd

20 darts 3rd leg

17 darts for wolfie to win the set.

poor effort so far in the opening game of the tournament.

18 gets scotty off the mark in the 1st leg

12 darts for wolfie

15 darts and another 100+ checkout puts wolfie in the driving seat.

15 darts gets wolfie the set

16 for wolfie

19 darts sees scotty win a poor leg

13 sees wolfie home comfortably

24 darts for scotty to tie it up at 2 legs apiece

17 darts sees the champ through.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭johnny_cash

I don't want to start a pdc vs bdo argument but the first two games here have been terrible :(

• Advertisement

A combined total of 54 darts thrown in that last leg, you'd expect better down in your local pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ANAPOLIS

A combined total of 54 darts thrown in that last leg, you'd expect better down in your local pub
    shocking stuff all together.

i think there was only 1 180 thrown in the 1st game,as i speak silverback throws one and so does west!:D:D:D

To be fair, after that pathetic first set O'shea was excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

This Gary Stone fella might be worth a squeak at 150-1. Martin Adams next though.

Currently watching the Montgomery v Roosenbrand game. An average enough game but there was a farcical carry on at the end of the 2nd set when the game tied at 2 legs each Roosenbrand after missing 2 darts at double 18 hitting single 18 and single 9 to leave 9. However when he came back to throw again the ref called 19 required! Roosenbrand carried on but I'm sure it upset him and ultimately cost him the set.

Today's 1st round results;

Meulenkamp (16) 0-3 Stone

Adams (1) 3-0 Mitchell

O'Shea (8) 3-0 Steve West

Montgomery (9) 3-1 Roosenbrand

Not the most exciting of starts to the Lakeside event! Qualifier Gary Stone was impressive in his 3-0 win considering he's only playing darts 4 years! Let's hope tonight's games provide better entertainment! Coverage starts on ESPN at 8 00pm.

Wimbago wrote: »
    This Gary Stone fella might be worth a squeak at 150-1. Martin Adams next though.

I just put a fiver on him at 66/1 after seeing him, he looked decent alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭shockframe

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Today's 1st round results;

Meulenkamp (16) 0-3 Stone

Adams (1) 3-0 Mitchell

O'Shea (8) 3-0 Steve West

Montgomery (9) 3-1 Roosenbrand

Not the most exciting of starts to the Lakeside event! Qualifier Gary Stone was impressive in his 3-0 win considering he's only playing darts 4 years! Let's hope tonight's games provide better entertainment! Coverage starts on ESPN at 8 00pm.

Thought it was OK myself. Gary stone had a great win.had heard nothing before hand but played well.hard to look past wolfie in the 2nd round but he should do better than mitchell who was very poor.

o shea cruised through after a bad end to the first set.wolfie checked out on some good shots but didnt hit that many 180s so needs to tidy up here.

I could see someone stepping up to beat adams this week.a possible q-f with o shea wont be easy as previous years so there is a chance for someone to catch him before the semis.

Overall today the winners were decent enough but roosenbrand aside the losers were ordinary.especially steve west who was shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Currently watching the Montgomery v Roosenbrand game. An average enough game but there was a farcical carry on at the end of the 2nd set when the game tied at 2 legs each Roosenbrand after missing 2 darts at double 18 hitting single 18 and single 9 to leave 9. However when he came back to throw again the ref called 19 required! Roosenbrand carried on but I'm sure it upset him and ultimately cost him the set.

was watching this and couldnt believe they could make such a gaff. but the dart player himself should have known what he was on and corrected the ref no?

The standard of darts was bad though.
    also no production value put in by the BBC.

interesting to see how it will be on ESPN later.

green V fitton standard pretty good at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Martin Adams pissed getting interviewed on ESPN :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement