Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BDO Lakeside 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

The BDO shoots itself in the foot with only having 2 TV tournaments a year. The player aren't used to the stage and first round nerves has played it's part in a lot of the games. The averages would be a lot higher only for the amount of doubles being missed. The first round in the PDC had a fair share of matches that were poor to watch as well so I don't get this comparing, same thing every year. Most people slate it year on year yet they watch it anyway and then slag it off! What are you watching it for then?

Adams would compete in the PDC tour no problems anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't a clue about darts or either just hates the man. Not a fan myself but he takes awful lot of stick for showing some loyalty to the BDO so deserves some respect in that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

i love darts but its a joke that winning the bdo still means you are a WORLD CHAMPION, look at the state of the entries
    should be called the pub darts world championships
    martin adams is right to stay in the bdo, handy enough 100k, only 4 decent players in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

wolfie deserves a lot of respect, but turning down the GSOD invites didnt do him any favours tbh. i think the bdo wc standard will improve later on in the week from the qf onwards. still very open at the moment, looking forward to seeing how ted hankey will do. he did well in the gsod so if he keeps to that form , it will put in contention for title. the only problem for him is that if he wins first round, then he'll probably be playing waites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

The standard isn't high, but I don't watch the BDO darts for that. I watch it for ridiculous stories like Gary Stone only picking up darts a few years ago and reaching the Worlds. Plus the lack of glamour: the WAGS being heavier than the darts players, the apparent lack of a smoking ban in the Lakeside, the announcer saying "LET'S...PLAY...DARTS!" to a bunch of 40-50 year old men...despite it sounding childish now as if he's about to break into 'The Music Man' (oompa-oompa-oompa-pa, oompa-pa, oompa-pa) at any stage. It's just sentimentality and sporting romance at this stage.

And it's also amusing watching everyone trying to act as if the tournament is deciding the 'best in the world'...like watching a parallel universe where the PDC split never happened. It's like Martin Adams is the dunce kid in the class and everyone is going to a massive, over-the-top effort to let him live his dream that Phil Taylor doesn't exist and he's the best darts player to have ever lived.

Plus Bobby George is like a good feta...he gets cheesier with age. But it never stops being entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

leggo wrote: »
    The standard isn't high, but I don't watch the BDO darts for that. I watch it for ridiculous stories like Gary Stone only picking up darts a few years ago and reaching the Worlds. Plus the lack of glamour: the WAGS being heavier than the darts players, the apparent lack of a smoking ban in the Lakeside, the announcer saying "LET'S...PLAY...DARTS!" to a bunch of 40-50 year old men...despite it sounding childish now as if he's about to break into 'The Music Man' (oompa-oompa-oompa-pa, oompa-pa, oompa-pa) at any stage. It's just sentimentality and sporting romance at this stage.

And it's also amusing watching everyone trying to act as if the tournament is deciding the 'best in the world'...like watching a parallel universe where the PDC split never happened. It's like Martin Adams is the dunce kid in the class and everyone is going to a massive, over-the-top effort to let him live his dream that Phil Taylor doesn't exist and he's the best darts player to have ever lived.

Plus Bobby George is like a good feta...he gets cheesier with age. But it never stops being entertaining.

I must admit i near fell off my chair laughing at that! Great description:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

with lines like that you should be presenting the BDO not watching it :D:D

The standard isn't high...

Sure you should enter it then and pick up some easy money for yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

I wish they would cover that box up that is under the dartboard. Most of the games so far has had a dart fall into it holding the game up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Wouldn't be the first time a game involving Robson has come under suspision. A game involving him and Gary Anderson in the W.C a few years back was alleged to have had suspicious betting patterns on the correct scoreline. I think they're very good friends off the circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Today's results and averages;

Walton (86.94) 1-3 Atkins (87.42)

Van De Wiel (83.01) 3-0 Prins (78.24)

Waites (89.52) 3-1 Boulton (88.74)

Jennings (83.94) 3-1 Thompson (84.30)

Only saw the 1st game between Walton v Atkins,a good game and a deserved victory for Atkins IMO. Tonight's games start at 6 30pm live on ESPN.

• Advertisement

villabren wrote: »
    Chris Mason is going insane on twitter saying a match should be investigated. Says he heard this afternoon that something fishy was going on but he'd put a bet on it a week ago. says it cost him 11 grand. Having a right go at Martin Adams too

strange mason went public with that claim?

anybody got a stream for this?
    havnt got espn on my sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

seeing as we've been bashing the standard of the tournament up until now.

then credit where its due, this Dekker vs Kist game is really good, good averages, and fantastic finishing from Dekker so far.

very enjoyable game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

seeing as we've been bashing the standard of the tournament up until now.

then credit where its due, this Dekker vs Kist game is really good, good averages, and fantastic finishing from Dekker so far.

very enjoyable game :D
    Shame one of them has to be knocked out tonight going by the way they are playing they would beat most of the other players so far

Good game alright.

And now the Count...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Is hanky's walk on music still banging techno?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Easily the best game of the tournament so far there result; Christian Kist 3 Jan Dekker 2. I saw Kist in action on ESPN in the Winmau World Masters and he was very impressive in that tournament and tonight again he threw great darts to prevail in a great game. I've pity for Dekker who would have beat a lot of the 1st round winners with that performance. Well done to both players for a cracking game.

Is hanky's walk on music still banging techno?:D

Presume it is still Be On Your Way alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

108 average for hanky.....better than almost anything in the pdc this year, unbelievable performance, only did it over three sets though, if he can sustain that then it's his tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I was surprised to see Ted Hankey was born on 20 February 1968 meaning he's not even 44 yet l taught he was well into his 50's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Streams here:

http://www.vipbox.tv/sports/darts.html

Barden's throwing well for his debut. Would have been a threat to other players but not Hankey unfortunately. But could bring it back to 2-2.

Ted being a fool again holding Barden up though.

If Mr Hankey really got his shi* together he could easily compete in the PDC.

I'd love to see him there, he's a pure character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 keithiws

donfers wrote: »
    108 average for hanky.....better than almost anything in the pdc this year, unbelievable performance, only did it over three sets though, if he can sustain that then it's his tournament

Incorrect Ted's average was 88.88 with a single dart avg of 29.36. but he did average 112.87 in the final leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Philips playing a bit crap. Definitely not his A game...and he tumbles out of the competition...with my outright each way bet lol.

A dutch player will definitely win it this year imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Martin Philips has made a fool of me. Your average pub player would have done better. He was so, so bad. His first dart was an embarrassment.

Martin Philips has made a fool of me. Your average pub player would have done better. He was so, so bad. His first dart was an embarrassment.

I went for a shower after Mr Hankeys' game

Go on, what was his first dart?

best game so far between kist and dekker. croft said kist is one to watch out for. what has the coverage been like on ESPN ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

best game so far between kist and dekker. croft said kist is one to watch out for. what has the coverage been like on ESPN ?
    you can get a stream here Stephen.http://www.firstrow.tv/sport/darts.html

i just watched hankey last night,so will leave comments on the coverage to others,apart from the Ad breaks.........which you dont have on BBC:cool:

you can get a stream here Stephen.http://www.firstrow.tv/sport/darts.html

i just watched hankey last night,so will leave comments on the coverage to others,apart from the Ad breaks.........which you dont have on BBC:cool:

thanks for info on that stream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

keithiws wrote: »
    Incorrect Ted's average was 88.88 with a single dart avg of 29.36. but he did average 112.87 in the final leg.

Well corrected Keithiws, I've noticed the BBC over the last couple of years only quoting a 3 dart average over the first 9 darts thrown, and not all darts thrown in a leg, distorts the averages dramatically.

A 3 dart average of 88.88 will struggle, unless he can get it to the mid to high 90s

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement