Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BDO Lakeside 2012

Comments

Get in. Great checkout by O'Shea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Great game going on here. Ton averages by both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Wow! Wolfie misses a 160 checkout by millimetres then O'Shea comes straight in and nails a 170. Great game. Adams has already taken out a 161 and O'Shea's checkout stats are very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭jpjc05

Get in. Great checkout by O'Shea

Unreal. Psychological blow for Adams after his 161

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

3-1 to O'shea now

Come on Tony, keep it up

I have to say its been a great game by both men so far, good consistent scoring and some excellent finishing.

Does would grace any PDC tournament that's for sure!

• Advertisement

3-1 to O'shea now

Come on Tony, keep it up

I have to say its been a great game by both men so far, good consistent scoring and some excellent finishing.

Does would grace any PDC tournament that's for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Hopefully O'Shea can keep this up.

Was never a fan of Adams.

jpjc05 wrote: »
    Unreal. Psychological blow for Adams after his 161

Have to say fair play to Adams for applauding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

nummnutts wrote: »
    Hopefully O'Shea can keep this up.

Was never a fan of Adams.

I absolutely cannot stand Martin Adams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

O' Shea's on fire tonight!

• Advertisement

Never liked Adams but he was extremely gracious on stage there. He applauded and smiled at a few O'Shea checkouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Clinical.

I thought Adams would have been given a couple of chances to get back into the game.

Fair played to O'Shea for keeping him out - far too good on the night.

Hopefully he won't make a balls of the semis, and gives the title a decent go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

my fiver each way on Hankey at 14/1 is startin to look good, he was down to 11/4 before Adams was knocked out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭jpjc05

Have to say fair play to Adams for applauding it.

Yeah Adams is a class act. O'Shea deserves a world title but I think the Count is gonna have a big say yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Well done Tony O'Shea! Brilliant darts by Tony and delighted for him. After 2009 when he lost to Hankey in the final I seriously thought that was his chance gone and the past 12 months suggested that O'Shea's best days were behind him even though he was still reaching the last 16 and quarter finals of floor events it seemed that was as good as it would get for him.

Last November though he won the Northern Ireland Open against our own Martin McCloskey and maybe this was a sign of the old Tony O'Shea coming back to form. However he had a disappointing Zuiderduin Masters in Holland but in hindsight this was probably a good thing because it seems anyone that reaches the final of this has a disastrous Lakeside! Phil Taylor has said many times during the Grand Slam coverage that O'Shea had a World title in him and personally I hope it's this year!

As for Martin Adams while there's no doubting he has great ability on the dartboard and winning 3 Lakeside titles is a great achievement even if people question the standards me like many others dislike the man solely on his refusal to play in the Grand Slam. I think it's a shame that he never played in it and IMO he left himself down as well as the BDO down by not competing in the Grand Slam. While he's free to not like the PDC he's refusal to even acknowledge them as a proper organisation is ridiculous! Only last Friday he gave an interview on the BBC website saying he would be delighted if he could equal the 3 BDO titles in a row of the World's greatest player ever Eric Bristow! Now Bristow IMO is the 2nd best ever but in fairness that's a childish statement out of Adams!

shockframe wrote: »
    Poor enough game alright.Expected more from Jennings.lot of hype coming into the tournament but didnt seem to take well to TV.lot of loose darts.

Impressed with Harms though.Philips and Green are 2 big scalps so he has had a great tournament.anything else now is a bonus.including 3k for the GSOD.Think he has now made the next 2 GSOD now aswell Dartbhoy.

Now for wolfie.now or never for silverback possibly.
    Quite right shockframe,Harms and O'Shea qualify for the next 2 GSOD. Great game between O'Shea and Wolfie,I hope O'Shea goes all the way now.

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Only last Friday he gave an interview on the BBC website saying he would be delighted if he could equal the 3 BDO titles of the World's greatest player ever Eric Bristow! Now Bristow IMO is the 2nd best ever but in fairness that's a childish statement out of Adams!

sure even Eric would admit that Taylor is the best darts player to ever live.

what a muppet that Adams is

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Well said Dartbhoy, I agree with everything you said.

Delighted for Tony O' Shea, one of the most likable men in darts and a cracking player. I would love it if he could win the title, I think he deserves one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm thinking that it's down to 2 players, O'Shea and Hankey, while i'd love Hankey to win as i've a bet on him the guy is just far too unpredictable, he could play O'Shea in the final and just as easily be whitewashed or whitewash O'Shea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I think Christian Kist will win it now myself.

i hope to god Wesley Harms does'nt win it because l was gona back him at 50/1 after his 1st round win but did'nt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭shockframe

robbie1977 wrote: »
    I think Christian Kist will win it now myself.

i hope to god Wesley Harms does'nt win it because l was gona back him at 50/1 after his 1st round win but did'nt.

Think Kist could be caught out in the longer games.Dekker, despite playing better against him than any any other match, is still inexperienced.the same goes for De Vos.

I didnt rate Norris that much before the tournament but he has the potential to reach the last 4 and I wouldnt be surprised if he pulled off another upset.

Watched Harms in the 2010 Zuiderduin masters and he hit a 180 with his first 3 darts on TV.Knowing that I should have backed him to win his quarter.was around 10/1.very decent player.O'Shea will have to be at his best to beat him theres no question about that Dave.(Have to stop quoting Rod Harrington!)

Would love to see O'Shea go all the way.He must be wary of the comedown after such a big win a la webster + chisnall beating Taylor.Any of the 6 left can win this so all to play for.

Maybe I'm on my own here but I have really enjoyed the lakeside this year.the new breed of dutch players and Gino De vos are hopefully emerging.might not be of the highest quality but many players are new to TV so it will take time to get used to the big stage(theres another rod phrase).

Could be exciting times for the BDO with ESPN involved.matches like adams and o'shea will hopefully persuade them to get more tournaments on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Just have to say, that young referees pronunciation is unreal.

"one HUndred" Hope he gets the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

i dont think hankey can win bdo champs

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

They finally showed some of the ladies - anyone else get the impression things were a little frosty between Gulliver and Anastasia - and fair play to O'Shea - won a great game that both players contributed to

• Registered Users Posts: 42 garyc1987

hope hankey wins but for the 2nd time i forgot to get on (25s few years ago and 18s this time)

was 11/4 before adams went out and was looking at o' shea at 7s

now hes fav and both are too short

ah well :)

They finally showed some of the ladies - anyone else get the impression things were a little frosty between Gulliver and Anastasia - and fair play to O'Shea - won a great game that both players contributed to
    There seemed to be a lot of tension up on stage between Ana and Trina. I thought that at the start and the end of the game Trina didn't seem to be too thrilled about greeting her! This probably dates back to 2008 when Ana left the BDO for the PDC. Trina was less than complimentary with some of the things she said about Ana leaving the BDO!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Yeah, I remember even Bristow was it, said she probably should have defended it before leaving for the PDC - in fairness though - over the past 5 years or so - who has encouraged more women to take up darts - Trina or Ana?? I know Gulliver is the best lady ever to play at Lakeside, but Ana switching for the few years did wonders to promote the ladies game

The ladies final Deta Hedman v Anastasia Drobmyslova is live today on BBC Red Button from 5 00pm till it's conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Delighted for O'Shea. Would love to see him go on and win it, even a rematch with Ted Hankey would be great...their last final was a cracker. Silverback is one of those guys who could do very, very well on the PDC circuit (and seems a nice guy too so would deserve the extra cash he'd make). He can go missing at times but give him more regular competition of a higher standard and that would change quickly I reckon.

Plus I'm delighted Adams won't win again. A paper champion if I've ever seen one.

• Advertisement

leggo wrote: »
    Silverback is one of those guys who could do very, very well on the PDC circuit (and seems a nice guy too so would deserve the extra cash he'd make).

Very well? Extra cash?

Think of players like Michael Van Gerwen and Jelle Klaasen (a BDO champion, something Tony has not achieved) earning what, £35k on the PDC tour? Tony himself is one win away from that type of money, two wins away from trebling it. I'd say he kows that the risks cut both ways.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement