Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BDO Lakeside 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

leggo wrote: »
    Silverback is one of those guys who could do very, very well on the PDC circuit (and seems a nice guy too so would deserve the extra cash he'd make). He can go missing at times but give him more regular competition of a higher standard and that would change quickly I reckon.

not going to happen. he was asked about switching in an interview at last years worlds and says he will never move. he has nothing against the PDC but said he is much too comfortable with the BDO tour and has structured his family life around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Very well? Extra cash?

Think of players like Michael Van Gerwen and Jelle Klaasen (a BDO champion, something Tony has not achieved) earning what, £35k on the PDC tour? Tony himself is one win away from that type of money, two wins away from trebling it. I'd say he kows that the risks cut both ways.

I think Tony would do a lot better than the two you mention. Klassens technique is bad, how he won the BDO is a mystery, reminds me of Kirk Shepard, a flash in the pan. I think Mike had a bad 2yrs recently but the signs are there he is improving, they both are young players. I think Tony would have a better head for the weekly grind on the circuit. I could see him making 60,000 +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

stylie wrote: »
    I think Tony would do a lot better than the two you mention. Klassens technique is bad, how he won the BDO is a mystery, reminds me of Kirk Shepard, a flash in the pan. I think Mike had a bad 2yrs recently but the signs are there he is improving, they both are young players. I think Tony would have a better head for the weekly grind on the circuit. I could see him making 60,000 +

agree with you, MVG will win a major title in the next few years. he has been playing well of late. klaasen has gone off the boil , his technique/throw is very hit and miss which doesnt help him when he is not playing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Conor74 wrote: »
    Very well? Extra cash?

Think of players like Michael Van Gerwen and Jelle Klaasen (a BDO champion, something Tony has not achieved) earning what, £35k on the PDC tour? Tony himself is one win away from that type of money, two wins away from trebling it. I'd say he kows that the risks cut both ways.

I'd say he does too. But you're also failing to take into account, for example, Klaasen's earnings from his Premier League run (which isn't included in the Order of Merit figures). And the fact that MVG is still young and unproven at the top level. O'Shea has not only been more competitive against PDC opposition, but would have a better head for keeping consistently competitive. One semi-final run in the Worlds (which he's more than capable of) and he'd earn 50k on the spot plus a lucrative PL spot. In one run, that's almost his earnings for winning a BDO title alone THEN add the 35k odd from the tour to that.

Not easy, but very achievable for a player of his class.

Then you take into account my next point...
    Lemegeton wrote: »
    not going to happen. he was asked about switching in an interview at last years worlds and says he will never move. he has nothing against the PDC but said he is much too comfortable with the BDO tour and has structured his family life around it.

Said during what was quite a humbling World Championship campaign where he failed to show much of what brought him to the 2009 final...

With the BDO, he can earn a good living...as long as they don't lose their TV deals which attract sponsors and pay for the prize money at larger events. With the PDC, do well for just a few years and you can set your family up for life. BDO is a safer bet as there is less competition at the top, the PDC is much more lucrative (again, if you do well).

I'd imagine, if you're a quality player like O'Shea or Waites, the decision comes down to whether you believe you're good enough to get the big money. If he were to call himself the World Champion, then the above scenario becomes possible all of a sudden.

The only player I fully believe will never jump is Wolfie. He's the ultimate big fish in a small pond...unwilling to even acknowledge Phil Taylor because doing so would draw an unfavourable comparison between the two (while he hides behind the excuse that he just wants to play for Eng-er-lund).

Everyone else is faced with the above dilemma. And I'd imagine it's quite difficult to lack the required self-belief when you're world champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

dartbhoy wrote: »
    There seemed to be a lot of tension up on stage between Ana and Trina. I thought that at the start and the end of the game Trina didn't seem to be too thrilled about greeting her! This probably dates back to 2008 when Ana left the BDO for the PDC. Trina was less than complimentary with some of the things she said about Ana leaving the BDO!

Watched the game last night on a stream Ana deserved the win was miles better than Trina. Still a lot of bitterness towards after Ana joined PCD. In an interview with “The Wrong Bed Podcast” last week, She was asked was there any animosity towards her coming back from any of the players, her reply was No Comment.
    And just to prove she was right here is a match report from the Official BDO Website
    http://www.bdodarts.com/newsitem.aspx?summary=true&cid=1000&nid=1625
    Shocking stuff.

The Wrong Bed Podcast Can Be Found Here http://www.justinirwin.com/audio/ Or ITunes. Well worth the listen

• Advertisement

Ana Beats Headman 2-1 in the final to collect her 2nd world title. Well done Ana

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Kist has started off in top drawer form again.

Hes only 25, guy could be a top player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

mdwexford wrote: »
    Kist has started off in top drawer form again.

Hes only 25, guy could be a top player.
    has his finishing deserted him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

has his finishing deserted him?

Looks like it.

His scoring should see him through though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

the pdc lads must be having a good chuckle watching this ****e

BDO darts is ssssssssssssssooooooooooo bad

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Agreed, imagine if Whitlock, Anderson or Webster ever played in this, they would clean up! :p
    lets be fair about this lads........ his overall average was 93+,only caught a bit of the stats but i think i saw 17 140s and 10 180s. thats not bad at all,and by the way,im a huge fan of mark webster,but he struggles to get his averages over 93;) and im in no way a BDO fan,just thought this was an excellent performance by the dutchman.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭e21man

buster180 wrote: »
    Watched the game last night on a stream Ana deserved the win was miles better than Trina. Still a lot of bitterness towards after Ana joined PCD. In an interview with “The Wrong Bed Podcast” last week, She was asked was there any animosity towards her coming back from any of the players, her reply was No Comment.
    And just to prove she was right here is a match report from the Official BDO Website
    Shocking stuff.

The Wrong Bed Podcast Can Be Found Here http://www.justinirwin.com/audio/ Or ITunes. Well worth the listen

For an official match report by the BDO that's a disgrace.
    She has a right to try her luck in the PDC,She came back and is doing well good luck to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Shocking stuff.

I didn't mind the BDO at all until I read this match report. What a disgrace to have this up on there site as a match report at a World Championship. This smacks of complete bitterness towards Anna and making her look terrible to the public. Whoever wrote this report should be shot, they display Trina as the 'Golden Girl' and she has earned her spot at the top of the Ladies game for years but in no way did they give any praise to Anna but hard luck stories for Trina, what a joke. I know things haven't been good for Trina(Mum passing away last week) and it would have been great to see her win the title for her, but this stuff beggars belief! An amateur write up for an amateur organisation, disgraceful :mad:

Buster i cant find the podcast:o can you direct me to the link,or am i doing something wrong?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Ted's winning but to me it seems he's not stepped out of 3rd gear, hope he steps up come the semi's or he's gonna be out, along wit my bet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Atkins has been woeful though hasn't he.

I'm happy enough though, I wanted Mr Hankey to win anyway

Buster i cant find the podcast:o can you direct me to the link,or am i doing something wrong?:)

On the right hand side of the page. Just look for Hammertime and BDO Previews, and click play. All the other podcaste are below.

mr.jingle wrote: »
    I didn't mind the BDO at all until I read this match report. What a disgrace to have this up on there site as a match report at a World Championship. This smacks of complete bitterness towards Anna and making her look terrible to the public. Whoever wrote this report should be shot, they display Trina as the 'Golden Girl' and she has earned her spot at the top of the Ladies game for years but in no way did they give any praise to Anna but hard luck stories for Trina, what a joke. I know things haven't been good for Trina(Mum passing away last week) and it would have been great to see her win the title for her, but this stuff beggars belief! An amateur write up for an amateur organisation, disgraceful :mad:

Correct me if I am wrong, but did Deta Headman not play in the PDC in the early days??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Correct me if I am wrong, but did Deta Headman not play in the PDC in the early days??

Yes in the 90's she did and came back in the late 00's.

• Advertisement

BERBA wrote: »
    BDO darts is ssssssssssssssooooooooooo bad

When you play Ted Hankey I'm gonna put my house on you then.

Thought so, it’s strange that she gets no stick for playing in the PDC but Ana does. In saying that it was a great final tonight, if Dita had not made a balls up of the 42 I think she would have gone on to win it.
    The final was better than some of the men’s games I have seen this year. Also £10.000 to the winner and £2.000 to runner up is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

When you play Ted Hankey I'm gonna put my house on you then.

Hankey had an 85 average tonight , i reckon rod harrington would've beat him tonight playing like that , better again dave clarke would've;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Next year we should have a moan about the BDO standard thread
    so all the moaners who hate it but yet watch it :confused: and then log onto the internet to complain about it can all chat on their own thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Shocking stuff.

Well.well,well that report is a new low for the BDO! A truly appalling disgraceful report and the BDO should be ashamed of themselves for casting a slur on the good name of Anastasia Drobmyslova.

The BDO board have to take the blame for this. Obviously they gave this report the OK before it was posted on their site. There was a changing of the board in the Summer of 2011 and darts fans reckoned it was the dawn of a new era but this report shows that the same bigoted anti PDC feelings exist as in this case as no doubt they haven't forgiven Ana for leaving them and they intend to shoot her down at every opportunity,how sad!

Well Ana has had the last laugh and despite the BDO's best efforts to upset her before the final she triumphed today over a great opponent in Deta Hedman. Personally I thought this final was a great advert for Ladies darts. Well done Ana and hard luck to Deta Hedman who was the first woman to play in the PDC back in the 90's. Deta has won them all bar the World Championship but she came mighty close today. A great game that put some of the mens games this week to shame!

Well what a 1st quarter final we had tonight! While the 5-1 scoreline would suggest it was 1 sided it was far from that IMO. Kist once again had a very good average and showed that he's a serious contender for the title. However I was very impressed with Alan Norris who nearly became the 1st player since 1990 to achieve a 9 dart finish falling short of the double 12 which cost him a prize of £52,000!

While Norris's scoring was brilliant his poor finishing ultimately proved costly for him losing him some vital sets. However this Kist lad is a serious player and has bundle loads of confidence and will take some stopping now.

The 2nd quarter final was a poor affair with Atkins never raising a gallop against Hankey. A 5-1 win and an 85 average for Hankey tells the story of the game! While Kist will be fancied by many to win Ted is a difficult opponent to play against and if Kist lets himself get distracted by some of Ted's antics it could affect his play. I reckon this game could be close but I go for a 6-4 win for Kist.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Wow, that is pathetic - no wonder Ana answered 'I think so' when questioned about whether she would defend this time - if I was her I'd take care of myself first and **** em - plenty of the BDO ladies competed in the PDC's Ladies event - not whinging there! Pathetic - a new low for them, and usually I like the BDO

Got this week's Lakeside averages off a UK darts forum and for all the doubters the averages this week are higher than last year!

First round; 85.82 (2011 85.32)

Last 16; 88.00 (2011 85.74)

Quarter Finals; 89.14 (2011 88.36)

Tournament average; 87.18

Tournament finishing percentage; 32%

Posts on various UK darts forums have claimed that Anastasia Drobmyslova was harassed by a leading BDO official before yesterday evening's semi final against Trina Gulliver who wanted her to remove the unicorn flights off her darts! Seriously this story gets worse,more shameful behaviour from BDO members!

• Advertisement

Thought so, it’s strange that she gets no stick for playing in the PDC but Ana does. In saying that it was a great final tonight, if Dita had not made a balls up of the 42 I think she would have gone on to win it.
    The final was better than some of the men’s games I have seen this year. Also £10.000 to the winner and £2.000 to runner up is a joke.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement