Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you love or hate the English accent?

• 30-12-2011 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Do you love or hate the English accent? 81 votes

Love it!
    0% 0 votes
    Hate it!
    19% 16 votes
    Not very strong feelings on the matter.
    23% 19 votes
    Atari accent!
    46% 38 votes
    I like the English accent more than this thread.
    9% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Like it on a woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Its a sexy accent on women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

I like most of the Northern ones and the South West ones but tend to dislike South East and North East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Depends on which accent, some are nice some are annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I like a girl with an English accent. Doesn't do much harm in my book, unless it's a Liverpool one.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

All of them?? One of them?? or are you being purposefully generic... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

There's tons of them!

I like the Bristol accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Love most of them - not the "oo-arr" one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CdeP

Some are lovely, others almost unbearable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Indifferent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

phasers wrote: »

I like the Bristol accent

Oh noes, its a terrible accent.

I like the London accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

meh not too pushed give me the scottish one now on the other hand

and scouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I quite like the Mancunian one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Landan one is laavley, innit bruv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

There's nothing sexier than an English girl doing an Irish accent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I just hate the English full stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

It depends

There are many different type of British accent; Cornish, Brummie, Lancashire, East Midlands, London and the home counties.

Personally I find the latter accent (Kent, home counties) reasonably attractive in women because it sounds delicate and effeminate; not so much any of the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭EmptyWithMe

Oh God, I love guys with English accents. All but the Liverpool one, that's unbearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

Kiera wrote: »
    Oh noes, its a terrible accent.

I like the London accent.

I have a London accent and I find that the women I have met in Louth love it. One woman used to phone me up all the time just for a chat as she loved the sound of my voice. Its a shame I didn't fancy her though as she had a lovely accent too.

• Advertisement

Oh God, I love guys with English accents. All but the Liverpool one, that's unbearable.

what about the Birmingham accent???, also the Geordies??

I have a London accent and I find that the women I have met in Louth love it. One woman used to phone me up all the time just for a chat as she loved the sound of my voice. Its a shame I didn't fancy her though as she had a lovely accent too.

what you should have done is setup a premium rate number and then have her call you on it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yes i like them especially the posh ones.

The scouse accent is vile.

CamperMan wrote: »
    what you should have done is setup a premium rate number and then have her call you on it :D

Its funny you should say that, as she usually called me when she was in the bath or in bed.

The scouse accent is vile.
    Just like the Mancunian. Was that why you tried to take out half the cast of Corrie?

It's Gail's weak chin and incessant rambling that would make me want to knock her over the head with a shovel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

The Maggie Thatcher accent - brilliant.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Liverpool womens accent.

It just screams "RIDE ME"

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

800+ years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭pawrick

I hate the Manchester accent or any of the main accents on all the soaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I love the scouse accent on a girl. Dont know why it gets so much hate.

Only English accents I dont like are skanger London innit accent, Newcastle and deep Brummie.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    800+ years

Fail.

Fail.

Are you okay there Johnny?

Kirstie Allsop's accent, now there's a property developer I wouldn't mind seeing on her knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭EmptyWithMe

I can actually put up with those! I've relations around those parts so I'm a bit used to them. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I'd like most English accents except for the "upper class" or newsreader type accents. Welsh or Scottish accents are nicer though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Oi! I like both of those.

I was on the phone to a girl from Laaaandan the other night (drunk) and she said 'Tom, are you putting on a voice?' I said 'No...?'. She said 'you just sound really really brummy on the phone, it's hilarious'.

Why do people feel the need to copy people with a Brummy/Scouse/Geordie/wherever accent?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

MugMugs wrote: »
    Liverpool womens accent.

It just screams "RIDE ME"

:P

Case in point: Sporty Spice

later10 wrote: »
    Kirstie Allsop's accent, now there's a property developer I wouldn't mind seeing on her knees.

:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Hate it

Welsh accent is just gorgeous though

Well this post is clearly a lie

A Louth girl with a lovely accent???
    Are you familiar with the Louth accent? The very worst parts of Nordie and Dub combined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I like most of them bar the 'Landan innit blad' one. The posh one on a woman is ridonkulously sexy.

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Hate it

Welsh accent is just gorgeous though

Well this post is clearly a lie

A Louth girl with a lovely accent???
    Are you familiar with the Louth accent? The very worst parts of Nordie and Dub combined

The Louth accent isn't a combination of Nordie and Dublin, it doesn't have a single element that is remotely similar to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The-Rigger wrote: »
    The Louth accent isn't a combination of Nordie and Dublin, it doesn't have a single element that is remotely similar to Dublin.

youze sure about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

I'd like most English accents except for the "upper class" or newsreader type accents. Welsh or Scottish accents are nicer though.

Au contraire,most English accents (especially Midlands and the West Country) are repellent but I am partial to some Home Counties patios ala Kirsty Allsopp.Sometimes I imagine her all dominatrix-esque..hmmmm..but I digress it is too early for such shenanigans

Dionysus wrote: »
    Can't stand the English accent of anybody connected with soccer, soaps, tabloidesque news (Sky, ITN etc), pikey comedians or Europhobia.
    People in soccer, soaps, news, comedy and 'Europhobia' all have the same respective accents now?

Are you sure you're not confusing accents with people you don't like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Can't stand the English accent of anybody connected with soccer, soaps, tabloidesque news (Sky, ITN etc), pikey comedians or Europhobia. Soccer-related accents especially - they're blaring through tv at me everywhere a tv is on in pubs etc. The inanity and blandness of it all is incessant.

The English accent of educated non-tabloidesque people like Jon Snow is grand.

/end generalisation.

On the other hand, once I get to know an accent and all its differences in a region, I invariably get hugely entertained by it. And yes, I do take the piss out of everybody's accent! :D Generally I prefer softer, calmer voices regardless of what accent the person has as long as they enunciate clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Can't stand the English accent of anybody connected with soccer, soaps, tabloidesque news (Sky, ITN etc), pikey comedians or Europhobia. Soccer-related accents especially

You do realize they all come from different places in a country of over 50 million people don't you?

later10 wrote: »
    People in soccer, soaps, news, comedy and 'Europhobia' all have the same respective accents now?

Are you sure you're not confusing accents with people you don't like?

That was the implicit general point (and I did say '/end generalisation'), but it isn't people I don't like as I don't know them - it is what they represent, be it overhyped saturation tv soccer coverage, populist flag-waving politicians or popular soaps and their endless bullshít dramas. None of them offer enlightenment and all wallow in populist emotion where people at the top get wealthy/powerful under the guise of "sport", defending the "national interest" or the like.

It's just one massive tabloid culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I love the English accent on a woman. The only accent from England i cant stand is the Liverpool. Sounds like absolute muck.

I'm also moving to England next month so i'll be in heaven.:D

stovelid wrote: »
    You do realize they all come from different places in a country of over 50 million people don't you?

Never realised that, stovelid. I was sure they came from the same lane in Essex. Thanks for the enlightenment. I'd be lost without you.

PS: You do realise the meaning of the word 'generalisation', as in 'end generalisation'?

That was the implicit general point (and I did say '/end generalisation'), but it isn't people I don't like as I don't know them - it is what they represent, be it overhyped saturation tv soccer coverage, populist flag-waving politicians or popular soaps and their endless bullshít dramas. None of them offer enlightenment and all wallow in populist emotion where people at the top get wealthy/powerful under the guise of "sport", defending the "national interest" or the like.

It's just one massive tabloid culture.

This has nothing to do with accents. Absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement