Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you love or hate the English accent?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

LordSutch wrote: »
    Thank God it was Jeremy Irons & not William Hague :D

By the way, I wonder does (did) the OP "Johnny Foreigner" think there was just one English accent?

I lived in London for 28 years.
    I attended Oxford for 4 years.
    That's 32 years living in England.
    I have heard many English accents during that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DrCmen

Speak to English women every other day... Lovely Jubbley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I lived in London for 28 years.
    I attended Oxford for 4 years.
    That's 32 years living in England.
    I have heard many English accents during that time.

Well in your opening post do you mean singular or plural? (accent or accents)?

PS: I have lived in England too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I think you misunderstand me, I asked in post#101 "By the way, I wonder does (did) the OP "Johnny Foreigner" think there was just one English accent?" and the reason I asked that was because in your opening post you ask "Do you love or hate the English accent?" instead of the mors obvious question "Do you love or hate English accents?"

PS: I have lived in England too!

if you had read the thread you would have realised, as did everybody else, that he knew and everybody knows there are lots of English accents. Which is what we are discussing now - regional English accents.

Yahew wrote: »
    if you had read the thread you would have realised, as did everybody else, that he knew and everybody knows there are lots of English accents. Which is what we are discussing now - regional English accents.

I beg to differ Mr Smartie pants, the opening post asks "Do you love or hate the English accent?" (singular) a curiously phrased question if you were aware that there were indeed many English accents (and not just one)! Personally I would have asked "Do you love or hate English accents?" . . . .

Goodnight.

Jeaz, I'm sorry I mentioned it now Z z z z z z z z z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I beg to differ Mr Smartie pants, the opening post asks "Do you love or hate the English accent?" (singular) a curiously phrased question if you were aware that there were indeed many English accents and not just one! I would have asked "Do you love or hate English accents?" . . . .

Goodnight.

Jeaz, I'm sorry I mentioned it now Z z z z z z z z z

Yes, but before replying to a thread you read the thread. Thats the general rule, as discussions move on. The discussion had moved onto English regional accents until you popped in.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

i hate the english accent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

The Scouse and Geordie accents on women are 10/10, the Mancunian I'd give an 8 but the rest especially the southern ones are extremely annoying the posh ones are almost unbearable to listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Oh lord I love guys with the English accent! Bar the ones you'd hear on Corrie and some of those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Worst the West Midlands, Geordies, Mancs, rest of Lancs apart from Scouse which seems to me to be more influenced by Welsh & Irish :confused:

Most English country accents are fine IMO. You actually will find real old country accents in villages 30 miles from London in most directions, nearby a local new town full of London folk. They all seem to have the same country accent as Norfolk or the West Country to me!

London there's big differences, proper Cockney is not Essex or most of suburban East London where the mockeys live:D

Prefer the North & West London accents, they both become more inner London or cockney nearer the centre of the city. There's more influence in those parts from the rest of britain & ireland. Even the welsh & scots seem to move to the north & west suburbs.

South one side is posh more west the other side cockney but don't cross the river. :eek:

The innit blud mutants seem to have arrived from another planet via the Bronx & are spreading to a city near you :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

There is absolutely no such thing as an English accent. There are several types of accent in England, none of which are universally stereotyped to England as a whole .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Birmingham accent is awful!

Leeds accent is lovely!

London accent is lovely (especially men)!

Suppose it depends on personal taste. Irish accents differ too - I love the Galway accent, Donegal accent, Kerry accent, but hate the Cork and Wexford ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

London accent is nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

My (iranian) cousin in london is a speech therapist I just hope she's learned to say room instead of rum, cos you don't wanna misinterpret a weary alcoholic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Having been brought up in the east end of London I can tell you the only true cockney is one born and brought up in the Bow area. To anyone who watches Eastenders I can assure you they are not proper east end accents.

London itself has many different accents because of the large area it covers. As someone said previously you do not have to travel far out before you come accross completely different accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭peewee_44

love it but then im english

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

peewee_44 wrote: »
    love it but then im english

engerlish surely

engerlish surely

sorry guv'nor im engerlish from engerland innit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

peewee_44 wrote: »
    sorry guv'nor im engerlish from engerland innit

wicked and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Love the scouse accent its like music on my ears!!

bet you used to watch brookside i did and i miss it......thats another story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

South one side is posh more west the other side cockney but don't cross the river. :eek:

Oi !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Don't feel strongly one way or the other. The West Country one can be a bit grating though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

My mothers scouse accent comes out when shes on the phone to her sisters in liverpool. Its funny when we hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Do you love or hate the English accent?

Which one? - I have to tolerate English accents on a daily basis, at work, my housemates, friends I have here etc. I don't mind it particularly.

Not too much a fan of the Liverpool accent or Newcastle / Geordie accent but I tolerate them nonetheless :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

MugMugs wrote: »
    Liverpool womens accent.

It just screams "RIDE ME"

:P

Case in point: Sporty Spice

Except her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I grew up in North West London,but mum made us do speech and drama when I was younger,so I have a fairly posh accent. I really dislike the cockney accent,but maybe its because I grew up around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Mo60 wrote: »
    Having been brought up in the east end of London I can tell you the only true cockney is one born and brought up in the Bow area.

You had to be born within the sound of the Bow Bells to be a Cockney, however the Bow Bells are not in Bow East London.

They are near St Pauls Cathedral / Chancery Lane in the City of London. St Mary Le Bow church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

You had to be born within the sound of the Bow Bells to be a Cockney, however the Bow Bells are not in Bow East London.

They are near St Pauls Cathedral / Chancery Lane in the City of London. St Mary Le Bow church.

St. Mary le Bow, Cheapside to be precise. Bells were out of action during and after World War II for a period of years. Anyone born or living as far east as Bow would consider themselves to be a cockney, probably because of the name association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Hate most of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Softer Welsh or Scottish accents are the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

I don't hate any accents. Accents are only how your voice sounds when you talk. Yes I do realise that's painfully obvious. It's all about the person. If the person is nice then.............I don't even know why I'm writing this, this is all so obvious. Hating accents could be viewed as highly irrational.

Sounds like you need a new book then :rolleyes:

panda100 wrote: »
    I grew up in North West London,but mum made us do speech and drama when I was younger,so I have a fairly posh accent. I really dislike the cockney accent,but maybe its because I grew up around it.

I was born in the London Borough of Brent. I grew up in Kingsbury, NW6.
    I have well spoken accent too.
    What part of North West London are you from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

My other half is a Mackem, so everything is canny and alrite......mind you we still laugh at our accents, and how long it took us to totally understand our mannerism.lol....Now Happy out....like

Worst the West Midlands, Geordies, Mancs, rest of Lancs apart from Scouse which seems to me to be more influenced by Welsh & Irish :confused:

Most English country accents are fine IMO. You actually will find real old country accents in villages 30 miles from London in most directions, nearby a local new town full of London folk. They all seem to have the same country accent as Norfolk or the West Country to me!

London there's big differences, proper Cockney is not Essex or most of suburban East London where the mockeys live:D

Prefer the North & West London accents, they both become more inner London or cockney nearer the centre of the city. There's more influence in those parts from the rest of britain & ireland. Even the welsh & scots seem to move to the north & west suburbs.

The innit blud mutants seem to have arrived from another planet via the Bronx & are spreading to a city near you :rolleyes:

You would love my NW6 accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I like the Chinese accent i'm trying to learn it but it's damn hard. maybe after 6 years i might just accomplish it. trying a bit of polish as well which isn't as hard but i'm loving the Chinese. got to do it for the women as i love Chinese women oh yeah. http://lookpic.com/c1/i2/2283/Dd5OFlDt.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

I remember it like it was yesterday: She was from Burnley and she gave thee greatest head ever: "Ahh'm frum Beuhnluh un ahh luvv yeh born2bwild...gobble gobble gobble"

She didn't actually use the my boards.ie name - I didn't have one at the time - but ever since I have had the working class Burnley accent seared into my brain as the most beautiful, most horn-inducing sound on this earth.

zenno wrote: »
    I like the Chinese accent i'm trying to learn it but it's damn hard. maybe after 6 years i might just accomplish it. trying a bit of polish as well which isn't as hard but i'm loving the Chinese. got to do it for the women as i love Chinese women oh yeah. http://lookpic.com/c1/i2/2283/Dd5OFlDt.gif

Wo ai bee.

Chinese is pretty hard to pronounce - the four different tones and all that - but the pronunciation of "Irish Man" is a real mouthful - Ierlaaanwren or something very unlike that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Totally depends on the accent...some of them are gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Nigella lawson has one sexy accent. Its a london accent i think. Really though there are many different sounding English accents some are terrible and others are like Mrs Lawsons are a real turn on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I like almost all of them. Even the Birmingham one. Not a massive fan on the London one. But a strong scouse one is woeful.

voz es wrote: »
    Nigella lawson has one sexy accent. Its a london accent i think. Really though there are many different sounding English accents some are terrible and others are like Mrs Lawsons are a real turn on :)
    Yeah - not a bad rack, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

born2bwild wrote: »
    Yeah - not a bad rack, either.

Ah that woman is (major english accent ) 'one hot tamale!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

I like the Northern English accents but not keen on the Southern ones but that's probably because i'm from the leeds area,
    Been over here donkey's years but don't think it will ever go,
    I don't think about my accent much but most Irish people say it's a very nice accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 doomsday

What is the "English Accent" i mean the cockney eastenders accent is a lot different than the scouse accent , or the brum, or the west country yokel accent.
    is there an english accent per se?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Prefer it to the American one anyway...

When you hear someone like David Attenborough speaking, you can instantly say this person knows what he's talking about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

AEDIC wrote: »
    A
    To sort of answer the OP... I dont mind most English accents on blokes..they really just pass me by to be honest although those tools on the Essex thing have horrible accents.... On girls I think Geordie accents are ultra smexy and Manchester/North West ones horrible...

We dont all sound like that in Essex :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Prefer it to the American one anyway...

When you hear someone like David Attenborough speaking, you can instantly say this person knows what he's talking about!

like Morgan Freeman? ;)

Advertisement