Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is "The Green Man" a sexist pig?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

In Camden Town, in Lahndan, there are (or at least used to be) a few pedestrian crossings were the green man had dreadlocks and was surrounded by green stars. Coolest looking dude. They should all be like that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

1742 wrote: »
    What about a manhole cover - is that going to be renamed to a personhole cover......
    At my university, there was a delegation from the particularly shrill gender studies department to the civil engineering department wanting them to teach the term "Personnel Access Facilitator (PAF)". I kid you not.

I don't know why women take issue with the word, "manhole". They already have enough holes of their own.

TBH the vast majority of people who work down them are male.

Some people do want to look for offense where none was intended. And I find that very offensive. It's very difficult to appease such people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

1742 wrote: »
    And a blackboard is now a chalkboard I believe (blackboard was considered a racist term)

They'll be banning Gollywogs next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 1742

what about mankind??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's a little green man, surely the problem would be some sort of interplanetary speciesism?
    roast wrote: »
    Or, if they take on the "Walk, Don't Walk" signs from the US, there'll be people in wheelchairs complaining... :pac:
    And if it says "cross" some uppity Muslim might feel insecure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ohhgreat , more feminazi bullshít

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

more feminazi bullshít

Good morning Mr Godwin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If it's true, seems the person who pointed it out is a man.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

when I see a green man it makes me cross

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Dudess wrote: »
    foaming at the gash.

:pac:

lol, Oh man that slayed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭cml387

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Always thought it should be a green chicken. If anything's going to tell you to cross the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Ach I thought this was a concernedmammy thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Apparently most of those were introduced - apparently. Most people ignore them though and carry on just fine.
    Aye, "apparently." Has anyone actually experienced this "ultra-PC" phenomenom? Like, I mean apart from reading about it in Richard Littlejohn's column.

Not once in my life have I ever been called up over talking about green men or chairmen, or blackboards. Not once, and I can almost guarantee you that anyone I know would have the same experience.

OK, so maybe acceptable to go around talking about spics and darkies, but I don't feel that's particularly oppressive. To paraphrase something someone on this board once wrote, "PC isn't so bad...it makes arseholes feel uncomfortable in civil company."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Yet more political correctness gone mad. When will this silly nonsense end?

I'm sure, however, that Harriet Harperson will be proud of that council's decision.

Batsy wrote: »
    Yet more political correctness gone mad. When will this silly nonsense end?

I'm sure, however, that Harriet Harperson will be proud of that council's decision.
    It's been established that those myths created by the Daily Mail/Express don't particularly affect people in their day to day lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Not once in my life have I ever been called up over talking about green men or chairmen, or blackboards. Not once, and I can almost guarantee you that anyone I know would have the same experience.

Not been called up on it but "chairperson" really bloody annoys me. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

'Unexpected item in bagging area'- a woman telling me how to do my shopping :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I wouldn't feel safe crossing the road unless the nice, paternalistic green man tells me to cross. :(

It's been established that those myths created by the Daily Mail/Express don't particularly affect people in their day to day lives.

Are you saying that the town of Boston in Lincolnshire is NOT asking people to cross the road with the help of the little green "figure?"

I guess this picture must be fake then:

green-figure_2096346b.jpg

It's just political correctness gone mad again. I'm also surprised to learn that Lincolnshire County Council is controlled by the Conservatives rather than Labour or the LibDems. The Conservatives should really know better.

You already said it was political correctness gone mad. So what if the sign says "green figure"? People can still say "green man" and won't get arrested. The impact is very insignificant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Just be thankful its not an Orange man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The Green Man is a great pub near Wembley London.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

In before dudess says political correctness doesn't exist, and someone posts a stewart lee video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

anyways lets use a hand like the yanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

WindSock wrote: »
    Just be thankful its not an Orange man.

Instead of "Don't cross" it just says "No!".

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Aye, "apparently." Has anyone actually experienced this "ultra-PC" phenomenom?

Political correctness is rife in Britain, thanks to decades of left-wing misrule.

This is how political correctness works.
    • you have a left wing policy to cause damage to the country and as it defies common sense, you don't want it openly discussed - unlimited immigration?
    • find a half sensible sounding reason (which would appeal only to the half sensible though) why people shouldn't discuss it - it would offend immigrants?
    • find a derogatory term to scream at those who dare to disobey- racist?
    • put career pressure on those professionals who refuse to toe the line - get them dismissed?
    "You are a racist" - the PC brigades greatest (and only) weapon

It makes politicians quake in their boots, it kills sensible discussion stone dead. This one short sentence is the greatest (and the only) weapon the PC brigade has. Losing the argument? - call your opponent a racist - that slur will usually silence them.

So let us examine this further - a dictionary definition of racism is:

i) discrimination against or unfair treatment of or violence against people because they belong to a different race from your own

ii) the belief that there are characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to each race

and therefore anyone practicing any of the above must (by definition) be a racist.

In fact that definition includes the definitions from various dictionaries as I want the definition to be as broad as possible. Ok so no problem with (i) as surely nobody would wish to do any of those things to a fellow human being.

I'm not too sure about (ii) as there does seem to be certain traits that are recognisable in certain races of people. Jewish people often seem to be involved in finance, travelers often want to tarmac your drive, Asians in the UK seem to like corner shops and driving taxis and the Chinese in the UK often like running takeaways and having the odd flutter in the bookmakers. I personally don't see anything wrong in noting the things one observes about the people around you.

If as a country in the 1970's and 1980's, we were experiencing Irish terrorism from the IRA then in my mind it makes sense that the police keep more of an eye on Irish population and likewise now since 9/11 it makes sense for the police to keep more of an eye on the Muslim population. Common sense or racism?

So now let's just examine how the PC brigade can say certain things are racist.

Robert Kiroy-Silk published a newspaper article containing the startling information that Arabs are "suicide bombers, limb amputators and women repressors" and asked what they had given to the world other than oil. Result - he lost his TV program and was reported to the police by the CRE. Read the actual article here. You may think what he said is true, you may think that it isn't true but surely he has the right to say it? If anyone feels libeled by him then they have redress in the courts for civil damages. Common sense or racism?

Ann Winterton's joke about the Chinese cocklers which I have dealt with elsewhere in the site. This was a widely circulating joke at the time and clearly it doesn't come into any of the categories listed above. It is often dragged up though - the last time being on BBC Question Time on the 22nd April in relation to Ron Atkinson's remarks. Andrew Rosindell MP, Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party bravely tried to point out the differences and defend Ann Winterton but you could see the fear in his eyes (and so could the PC brigade). He eventually gave up amid jeers of "stop digging" and "someone take his spade away". He never actually plucked up courage to ask anyone to explain how the joke is racist.

Were the remarks made by Ron Atkinson racist and is he actually a racist?

Calling a black man "a ****ing lazy n*gger" is certainly offensive to that person. Ron says he was disappointed in the man's performance during the match. If he had called him "a ****ing lazy bastard" or "a ****ing lazy wanker" would that have been less offensive to the man? It certainly would have knocked any serious idea of racism on the head (although the PC brigade would have still have complained bitterly as it was said about a black man) but would the recipient be any less upset or offended?

Does it come under any of the above definitions?

Is he a racist? Ron Atknson says not and points to all the good work he has done in the past with black players.

Truth should never be repressed by cries of 'racist'. Just argue the case if you feel you have one.

http://www.politicallyincorrect.me.uk/racism.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Aw I thought this was about Its always sunny in philadelphia. :(

Advertisement