Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gaming PC

Options
  • 30-12-2011 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Ok boardies, I am interested in building a custom gaming PC, I have €2000 to spend. I'm not certain if I will assemble it myself or if I will get that German website to assemble it, that's where I will be buying all the parts hopefully.

If I do myself, it could take anything up to a few years to do, I wouldn't be able to spend too long assembling it due to work commitments and even though I love computers and tech its my first build also. I will see how it goes but I dont mind paying the assembly fee if it requires me to do so.

1. What is your budget? €2000 + assembly fee if I have to.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming/Video editing/Internet.
    Battlefield, Offroad Drive.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes. Could source it though off a mate if I was stuck.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes. DVD Drive Samsung SE-S084 is about it id say.

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 24'.

I have one Targa monitor 22' screen, its a gaming monitor but it doesn't have a dvi connection only a VGA. Think I might pick up a converter on-line. That might do. I want to have two monitors in my set-up.

6. Do you need any peripherals? No.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes.

8. How can you pay? Any way at all.

9. When are you purchasing? 2-6 weeks time.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Cork.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €1,893.97 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Tray, LGA1155|€191.80
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9|€36.71
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€178.49
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA 3 6GB/s|€111.00
    Powercolor HD6990 4096MB Dual-DVI|€577.06
    LG BH10LS38 Blu-Ray Brenner Retail|€75.59
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3), Intel Z68, ATX, DDR3|€156.05
    Noctua NH-D14 SE2011, Sockel LGA 2011|€70.99
    Dell Professional P2412H|€195.56
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€85.37
    Cooler Master Storm Trooper, ohne Netzteil|€133.05
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 800W|€82.30

with the new series of amd graphics cards coming out soon you should wait for them, you'll be able to afford the top of the line version of it within that budget but if you want to buy it sooner that 6990 i linked is the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €1,907.59 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155|€277.08
    Noctua NH-D14, Sockel AM2/AM2+/AM3/775/1366/1155/1156|€67.99
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9|€36.71
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€178.49
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€85.37
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€119.33
    Club 3D Radeon 6990 4096MB, AMD Radeon HD 6990, PCI-Express|€550.22
    Dell UltraSharp U2412M (schwarz)|€241.47
    Samsung EcoGreen F4 2000GB, SATA II (HD204UI) 8,9cm (3,5")|€109.90
    be quiet! DARK POWER PRO BQT P9-750W|€149.34
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Titanium Grey|€91.69

Went for 2600K (in a €2,000 build, why the hell not?), and the D14 as daz did, to cool it. Daz opted for the socket 2011 version though, which wouldn't have worked with your processor. (careful!)

Also threw in the 128GB SSD, though I opted for a 2TB drive, as it's the same price, and you already have the SSD for speed.

Went with the same RAM, and the 6990 placeholder (though I'd also advise waiting for the 7xxx series).

Didn't bother with the blu-ray drive, as you didn't mention this.

Added a Dell U2412M monitor, which (IMO) is a much better buy than the P2412H.

Added a more expensive, but much quieter 750W PSU (still plenty if you ever want a second 6990 / 7970 in the future).

Also added a nicer looking (again, IMO) case.

I didn't actually add the build option, but just add €20 to the total for that.

didnt even notice the the cooler socket.....good spot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Thanks daz801 and Serephucus for going to all this trouble for selecting specs for my custom pc. Much appreciated.

I have a few questions you might be able help me with.

1. Just curious why both of you selected a Dell Monitor? I was interested in picking up an LG one I saw on-line but I am open for advice. Are Dell good monitors?

2. Would I be better off changing my current dvd drive and getting a dvd/blu-ray drive instead that is compatible with these specs or does it matter?

3. The Intel Core i7-2600K processor that you selected, Is there any chance that this would negatively impact some games I may run on this pc?

4. I know it has loads of RAM but does the motherboard allow me to install more RAM in the future if needed?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

1. I only really have experience with Dell monitors, so I went with something I know to be pretty good. The U2412M is probably the best-in-class, especially for the price.

2. That's up to you. Do you watch much blu-rays? It's entirely personal preference. Personally, I don't even have my DVD drive connected, as I basically only use it for installing Windows or running boot diagnostics now-a-days.

3. Well, the only difference between the 2600K and the 2500K is Hyperthreading (using two threads per core, giving you a virtual 8-core CPU from a 4-core CPU), which can slightly affect older, less well coded games, but generally speaking, no. It will however help a lot with any video editing you'll be doing.

4. It has four RAM slots. At present, you'd be using two with either of our configs, so you could always expand to 16GB later on if you so wished. If you wanted, you could sell off the 8GB kit, and buy 4x8GB and run 32GB of RAM. (not that you'd ever need to)

• Advertisement

teednab-el wrote: »
    I have a few questions you might be able help me with.

1. Just curious why both of you selected a Dell Monitor? I was interested in picking up an LG one I saw on-line but I am open for advice. Are Dell good monitors?

2. Would I be better off changing my current dvd drive and getting a dvd/blu-ray drive instead that is compatible with these specs or does it matter?

3. The Intel Core i7-2600K processor that you selected, Is there any chance that this would negatively impact some games I may run on this pc?

4. I know it has loads of RAM but does the motherboard allow me to install more RAM in the future if needed?

Thank you.

1.Ye Dell are one of the best

2.no i just put one in because it fit the budget....if you want one go for it.

3.i've heard that hyper threading on the 2600k can slow some games thats why i went with the 2500k

4.yeah we both only put 2 sticks in, theres room for another 2

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

daz801 wrote: »
    1.Ye Dell are one of the best

2.no i just put one in because it fit the budget....if you want one go for it.

3.i've heard that hyper threading on the 2600k can slow some games thats why i went with the 2500k

4.yeah we both only put 2 sticks in, theres room for another 2

Hyperthreading has no impact on games, apart from one or two rare bugs which are always sorted out sooner or later.

I'm curious as to why you both went with only 8GB of RAM? For a video editing build (I assume HD video editing), 12GB would be better and 16GB would be best. Even though my desktop has superior a CPU and GPU, the workstations at my college kick my PC's ass when it comes to video editing as they all have 12GB of RAM, and I have 8GB.

Anyway, only nitpicking. Dells IPS monitors are definitely up there in quality - just make sure it IS an IPS panel.

Advertisement