Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roasting leg of lamb

Options
  • 30-12-2011 5:15pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a 650g boneless leg of lamb that I want to roast tomorrow evening. I've never cooked lamb before, so can anyone give me an idea of cooking times and temperatures for medium rare? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

unfortunately not. But do not cook it until you get a decent set of instructions, because it will be beautiful if it's right :) horrible if its not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

That wont take too long!

I normally do lamb at 160 or 170 and would go with 20 mins per 500g and then another 20min so in your case that would be around 46mins in total.

This gives me just medium so you might want more or less depending on taste

Try www.bbcgoodfood.com for more ideas or search here as I think this has come up a few times and definitely take more that just this one opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd go with putting it into a scorching hot oven, straight away turn it down to about 175 and leave it there for 18 per 500g with no extra added on, cover it with tinfoil and towels and leave it rest for 20 - 30 minutes. I like to stud it with garlic and rosemary and season it well with salt and black pepper before cooking.

This give me medium rare bone-in leg of lamb - without bone it will cook a bit quicker, I'd say. I'd geusstimate that the above will give you slightly pink lamb.

Faith - how did you get on? Anything different you would try if doing that roast again tomorrow?

Always interested to hear how you get on with something you havnt tried before

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It was gorgeous. Studded it with rosemary and garlic as suggested, covered in oil and salt and pepper, and popped into the oven fatty side up at 180. After 15 minutes, I turned it down to 160 and cooked for another 30 minutes. Let it rest for about 20 minutes and carved. It was cooked to about medium and was perfectly tender. I served it with potatoes two ways - dauphinoise and parmentier - and my boyfriend made a FABULOUS gravy. Bitta mint sauce on the side and off we went! (I forgot to do any veg with it, but honestly, it was kind of on purpose :P). I'll pop a picture up on the What I Had for Dinner thread tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Nothing like a good leg of lamb. I'm convinced that most Irish people who don't like it were served up the Irish Mammy overcooked version for years. It's so juicy and succulent when done properly! And lamb gravy & roasties are THE best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭mattser

I'd go with putting it into a scorching hot oven, straight away turn it down to about 175 and leave it there for 18 per 500g with no extra added on, cover it with tinfoil and towels and leave it rest for 20 - 30 minutes. I like to stud it with garlic and rosemary and season it well with salt and black pepper before cooking.

This give me medium rare bone-in leg of lamb - without bone it will cook a bit quicker, I'd say. I'd geusstimate that the above will give you slightly pink lamb.

You're kiddin, right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mattser wrote: »
    You're kiddin, right ?

What are you puzzled about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I put colemans mustard all over the leg of lamb aswell as studding it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If it's not too big, and boned, I flash fry it in a red-hot pan with rosemary and olive oil for a few minutes before putting it in the oven, first for half an hour covered with tin foil and then about 20 minutes uncovered on a slightly higher heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

A bit late now Faith but next time .... a fantastic gravy is a good splash of brandy about 15 mins from the end , then with 5 mins left pour a good splash of cream over it . YUM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Bit late now but I would open it up if it's been rolled, slash it a bit with a knife. Then place it in a plastic bag with a marinade made of natural yoghurt with rosemary, garlic, chili and lemon juice. LEave it an hour or so and then cook it on the barbecue. Preferable to have a covered barbecue with direct heat at one side for the first 10 minutes or so and then push over to roast with indirect heat. Has the advantage of providing a well seasoned roast with different levels of "cookedness" for different people.

Serve with a couscous salad made with chickpeas, rocket and a strong lemony dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

I used this recipe: http://startcooking.com/blog/365/How-to-Cook-a-Leg-of-Lamb
    Takes a bit of preparation, but it was delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I have a beautiful piece of meat that's called "lamb fillet" on the label but looks like the top part of the leg (bone in).

Should I cook it the same way I would cook a leg, o wise ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

I just put mine in the oven. I spinkled it with flour and fried it off with garlic and onions, then added a good dollop of white wine, a pint of chicken stock , herbs and 2 tablespoons of recurrant jelly.. Fingers crossed !
    Serving it with mushy peas, carrots, mashed potatoes and roasted sweet potatoes.

I have a beautiful piece of meat that's called "lamb fillet" on the label but looks like the top part of the leg (bone in).

Should I cook it the same way I would cook a leg, o wise ones?

Yep (though the wise label Im not sure on!) 20mins per 500g and 20min over. The fillet is basically the leg without the shank (lower leg part). 20m per 500g is the rare side of medium for me so maybe a little longer if you want. I also go for 160degrees but you can do it at 180 if you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Thank you. I will take your advice on temps and timings. It's in the oven now.

In the end I boned it and rolled it myself and smeared it with garlic butter. Nyom. :)

Thank you. I will take your advice on temps and timings. It's in the oven now.

In the end I boned it and rolled it myself and smeared it with garlic butter. Nyom. :)

That will be savage! Enjoy but keep an eye on it as it might well be done to perfection after 45 mins or so. Once you debone it (sounds so much better that the alternative!) it can cook quickly and could get dry so turn it a couple of time and a drop of wine over it wont do any harm!

Advertisement