Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

secondary teaching where to start??

Options
  • 30-12-2011 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

hi guys,
    Im a 26 year old carpenter fully qualified with merit (90-100%) for the past 5 years and self employed for the last 4 years...Limerick area. Iv decided to look into teaching materials technology/woodwork and technical drawing in secondary school or even teach in FAS as its something iv wanted to do for a while now but if i dont do something about it now i never will...i just dont know where to start or will my current qualifications stand to me?i have a leaving cert with 350/400 points(with very little study)... help would be greatly appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

jakko86 wrote: »
    hi guys,
    Im a 26 year old carpenter fully qualified with merit (90-100%) for the past 5 years and self employed for the last 4 years...Limerick area. Iv decided to look into teaching materials technology/woodwork and technical drawing in secondary school or even teach in FAS as its something iv wanted to do for a while now but if i dont do something about it now i never will...i just dont know where to start or will my current qualifications stand to me?i have a leaving cert with 350/400 points(with very little study)... help would be greatly appreciated?

Not sure if anywhere else does it, but UL definitely have a H Dip course for Woodwork/Construction teaching afaik. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

My problem is i need to do the course part time as i have to work and try and pay for bills also so im wondering is this possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi jakko,

Unfortunately there aren't any part time courses for teaching construction technology or engineering at second level. FAS is a different matter but there is a chance that you will still need a third level qualification as FAS is being merged with the VEC's under SOLAS and there are qualification requirements for new staff.

There is a part-time second level teaching qualification available in DCU but you do need an hons degree in the relevant subject before being accepted. In this case a degree in woodwork or furniture design which also has to be recognised by the Teaching Council for second level teaching. Recognised courses are available in Galway Mayo IT and Uni of Limerick.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭jakko86

Thanks for the reply its not looking good from what i can gather,its very frustrating after doing 5 years of an apprenticeship and going through college my qualification is basically useless, i would have thought that there would be some course that could further my qualification to a degree but from what i can gather id have to start back at square one doing a 4 year course in UL covering a lot of what iv already done in my block releases in college....5 years training 4 years experience and it counts for nothing when i want to go further with it.:mad:

Advertisement