Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sansa clip +

• 30-12-2011 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

looking at getting an mp3 player for myself (mostly for when im out walking)

dont want an ipod, overpriced and i dislike having itunes installed,

i see this sansa mentioned here a lot and its a very good price for 8GB plus a card slot(€50), i didnt come accross any recent threads on it so my question is simple, has there been anything released that competes with it that i could look at instead?

dont really care about flashy or a big colour screen i want good sound quality not a fashion accessory! seems for the 50 euro these sell for i cannot get much better.

whats the sound quality like on the sansa? id be using the included headphones but may upgrade in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If you are buying one they're quite cheap on Amazon.co.uk at the moment for £29.99: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002NX0ME6/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I see amazon dont take the sansa back after 30days if it malfunctions.
    Where is sandisk based? in case it has to be returned to manufacturer.

The returns policy is 30 days. The warranty would be down to whatever the manufacturer is offering. If you're buying from Amazon directly (not a 3rd party seller) then you're not getting grey market goods and the manufacturer should honour any warranty attached.

So defective within 30 days you can have Amazon deal with it directly which is pretty straightforward. Otherwise you're looking at dealing with the manufacturer which can be straightforward or nightmarish depending on which company you're dealing with.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

have amazon started shipping the clip over here? others haven't had any luck getting them to deliver to ireland in the past

Mactard wrote: »
    have amazon started shipping the clip over here? others haven't had any luck getting them to deliver to ireland in the past

Just checked there Amazon itself won't but some of the third party resellers will. Third Party resellers are covered by the 30 day return policy too.

Might be cheaper to get one in Ireland though at the prices they're charging.

Edit: Actually yes, Pixmania have them for 40 quid: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3903023/art/sandisk/sansa-clip-8-gb-mp3-playe.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I've been using a Clip+ for a couple of years now and I really do love it. Currently on my third one so that should tell you how much. First one was returned after a few months due to a broken clip, RMA process was smooth although the device had to be sent to the Czech Republic. My second one got stolen and was immediately replaced with another Clip+.

Sound quality really is great. I've used it with a pair of Etymotic ER6s and later HF5s and in both cases it sounded superior to every portable device I'd heard up to and including the Nano in price point. No idea what the stock headphones are like, I'm going to wager not great though. :o

In terms of alternatives, the only other device I'd consider is the newer version of the Clip+, the Zip but at the price the 8GB is currently going for and judging by some reviews which peg it as incredibly similar to the Clip+, I'd probably still stick with the older model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SanDisk-Sansa-Clip-SDMX18R-Black-8-GB-Digital-Med-/250871020311?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_PortableAudio_MP3Players&hash=item3a6913fb17

ordered that just after posting my thread, it turned up today, so far i likey, actually my local ev has some new old stock sennheisers on sale for like 10 euro, might be tempted

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Love my clip+ (running rockbox), it's still running perfectly after 2yrs...has just kept me sane on a horrible bus trip! Thank you sandisk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

don't do it

the sound quality is crap
    way too low

I want my creatvie zen back!!

Love my clip+ (running rockbox), it's still running perfectly after 2yrs...has just kept me sane on a horrible bus trip! Thank you sandisk

What does rockbox do? I read something about extending battery life, would love it if true, but am doubtful.
    Can you backup your previous settings or do you just restore factory settings if you want rid of rockbox? Am interested in trying it.

As for volume, change the setting from 'normal' volume to 'high' volume and it goes much louder.
    Haven't tried it in public yet, but it seems loud enough.

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    don't do it

the sound quality is crap
    way too low

I want my creatvie zen back!!
    Ah! You sir, have set your region to Europe. Thanks to an incredibly silly EU law, portable plays have a volume restrictor placed on them. To get around this go to the Settings menu and select "System Settings". From here select "Reset Factory Settings" and then "Yes". Now select the appropriate language and in the Region settings select "Rest of World". Finish the process and presto, higher volume. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

My Clip+ just developed a loose headphone socket, at first I though the headphones were faulty as the sound in the right headphone would become lower or cut out on and off, so It sounded like a loose connection. But I tried another set and it had exactly the same problem, I then tried both sets on my girlfriends Zen and they work perfectly, so unfortunately for me, its the players fault :(.

The clip had broke off it too recently, I got it back in Feb 2010 and loved it to bits. Was thinking of getting the newer version, the Zip, seeing as it has AAC support. Are the bad reviews the Zip has been getting purely down to it not being as much value for money as the Clip+ ?,or is it something else ?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I had the same problem with my clip+. I opened the case, and a few drops of solder later it is running fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

TPD wrote: »
    I had the same problem with my clip+. I opened the case, and a few drops of solder later it is running fine.

You can open the case ? :confused:, how ?, mine looks like its sealed shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Took a bit of prying and damaged the case slightly, but I keep mine in a silicone cover so it's not noticeable. It was harder to open than the old ipod video at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Anyone in this thread know how to put playlists on the clip in a simple enough manner?

I got mine yesterday - great piece of kit. Granted I nearly had a heart attack at how quiet it was until I switched it from Europe to rest of the world but once I did that I was delighted.

Anyway, I don't sync it using media player or winamp or anything, I just add songs by drag and drop. Can't see a way to make a playlist. Can anyone tell me how? :-)

Monokne wrote: »
    Anyone in this thread know how to put playlists on the clip in a simple enough manner?

I got mine yesterday - great piece of kit. Granted I nearly had a heart attack at how quiet it was until I switched it from Europe to rest of the world but once I did that I was delighted.

Anyway, I don't sync it using media player or winamp or anything, I just add songs by drag and drop. Can't see a way to make a playlist. Can anyone tell me how? :-)
    ]

1.'PlayList Creator', which makes and arranges .m3u playlists using drag & drop. 'PlayList Creator' is available from our new friends at oddgravity.de. It's freeware, and can be downloaded from soft32.com at this link (if moderators let links through):
    http://www.soft32.com/download_66536.html

or

After searching many message boards and reading about other people's experiences, I finally developed a playlist creation method using MediaMonkey and placing the Sansa Clip in MTP Mode.

1. If you don't have MediaMonkey, you can download it here:
    http://www.mediamonkey.com/

2. Allow MediaMonkey to create a library, or manually create one yourself.

3. Create new playlist using MediaMonkey.

4. Plug in your Sansa Clip, making sure you are in MTP Mode. (Go to Settings > USB Mode > MTP.)

5. Once MediaMonkey had recognized your clip, right click on the playlist you created and select "Send to" then choose "Sansa Clip (Synchronize.)"

6. Sit back and wait.

7. Enjoy your playlist from your Clip! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Thanks dude - will have a look. Which did you find easier, 1 or 2??
    glasso wrote: »
    ]

1.'PlayList Creator', which makes and arranges .m3u playlists using drag & drop. 'PlayList Creator' is available from our new friends at oddgravity.de. It's freeware, and can be downloaded from soft32.com at this link (if moderators let links through):
    http://www.soft32.com/download_66536.html

or

After searching many message boards and reading about other people's experiences, I finally developed a playlist creation method using MediaMonkey and placing the Sansa Clip in MTP Mode.

1. If you don't have MediaMonkey, you can download it here:
    http://www.mediamonkey.com/

2. Allow MediaMonkey to create a library, or manually create one yourself.

3. Create new playlist using MediaMonkey.

4. Plug in your Sansa Clip, making sure you are in MTP Mode. (Go to Settings > USB Mode > MTP.)

5. Once MediaMonkey had recognized your clip, right click on the playlist you created and select "Send to" then choose "Sansa Clip (Synchronize.)"

6. Sit back and wait.

7. Enjoy your playlist from your Clip! :)

I've found on the sansa that some folders of track get strings of numbers and letters added at the start of the folder name, makes it a bit awkward to browse through them. I've tried changing the name then returning to the proper name but the string still remains.
    Is there a way to get rid of this little code?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

eyerer wrote: »
    I've found on the sansa that some folders of track get strings of numbers and letters added at the start of the folder name, makes it a bit awkward to browse through them. I've tried changing the name then returning to the proper name but the string still remains.
    Is there a way to get rid of this little code?

This happens in MTP mode yeah ?
    Seems once a folder goes over a certain length MTP will alter the name of the folder.
    Either switch to MSC mode or use some other firmware, Rockbox for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

anywhere still selling these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

anywhere still selling these

Still easily available
    Here's a couple to check out.
    Amazon
    Pixmania.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

thanks

cant get amazon to ship here

pixmania is crazy money

Play.com have them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I've bought a few from ebay pretty cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I have the Sansa Clip myself.

I couldn't really recommend it unless you were adamant that you wanted an FM Radio, which is the only reason I would even continue to use it. Also, the sound quality isn't exactly great, and the battery doesn't last particularly long - perhaps around 6-7 hours.

I would definitely have to recommend the Sony Walkman NWZ-B163. I get a lot of use out of it, and I mean a lot of use! It's a brilliant MP3 Player and it's more than capable of standing up to all the bumps and scrapes that are an inevitability for any device. It's also really cheap and the sound quality is pretty good for the price range. Simple, cheap, and good quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

So where do you buy this thing?

Amazon won't ship it to Ireland. Pixmania charge crazy money. Expansys.ie have just discontinued selling it, ebay is extremely dodgy.

Even UK stores don't seem to be selling it anymore, neither Currys and PCWorld.co.uk sell it.

Is it possible for an Irishman to buy this thing for a reasonable price from a reputable company?

doing wrote: »

Amazon won't ship it to Ireland. Pixmania charge crazy money. Expansys.ie have just discontinued selling it, ebay is extremely dodgy.

Even UK stores don't seem to be selling it anymore, neither Currys and PCWorld.co.uk sell it.

Is it possible for an Irishman to buy this thing for a reasonable price from a reputable company?

Woah! Pixmania made one hell of a jump since I got mine. I bought mine in February and it was € 32.52 excluding delivery, and now it's up to € 96.79!

Sign up for Parcel Motel (if there's one near you) then get amazon to ship it there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have the Sansa Clip myself.

I couldn't really recommend it unless you were adamant that you wanted an FM Radio, which is the only reason I would even continue to use it. Also, the sound quality isn't exactly great, ....

You must be the only person I've ever seen calling the clip poor SQ. Maybe yours is faulty. It has its flaws but SQ isn't usually one of them. Sony's tend to have a their own sound signature thats not neutral. Perhaps you just prefer that and have got used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Got the Sansa Clip but found it too small for me. :mad:

Might be of interest. http://www.mymemory.co.uk/MP3-Players/Sansa/SanDisk-4GB-Sansa-Clip-Zip-MP3-Player---Red?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=121004_Sansa_MP3_Player&origin=Newsletter

Greenman wrote: »

Thankyou very much!

Before I buy it, as I don't buy things online very often, is this a reputable site? I'm directing this question to anyone who reads this thread.

And to think, two chancers were trying to sell me second hand clips for 30 euro! I'm delighted with this, thanks a million!

Thankyou very much!

Before I buy it, as I don't buy things online very often, is this a reputable site?

And to think, two chancers were trying to sell me second hand clips for 30 euro!

It is. I got the same email myself this morning.
    Know people who've bought from before.
    I think tho you may/may not get hit for possible customs with mymemory tho.
    If memory servers correct ? I'm sure someone can give more detail on this.

Ste- wrote: »
    It is. I got the same email myself this morning.
    Know people who've bought from before.
    I think tho you may/may not get hit for possible customs with mymemory tho.
    If memory servers correct ? I'm sure someone can give more detail on this.
    What do you mean get hit by customs? Like a letter in the post saying it's been seized and I have to pay extra VAT?

• Advertisement

What do you mean get hit by customs? Like a letter in the post saying it's been seized and I have to pay extra VAT?

had a quick look on boards.

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=mymemory+customs

Seems they do ship form Chanel Islands and anything over €22 is liable,
    You could get it past customs tho be lucky. Or sign up for parcel motel and get it shipped there. First two deliveries("stays") free.

Ste- wrote: »
    had a quick look on boards.

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=mymemory+customs

Seems they do ship form Chanel Islands and anything over €22 is liable,
    You could get it past customs tho be lucky. Or sign up for parcel motel and get it shipped there. First two deliveries("stays") free.

Well what do customs do when they catch one of these things? Do you pay them the difference in VAT and then they give it to you? Or do they just throw it in the bin? Or are you prosecuted?

I feel like I'm living on the Aran Islands or something. It's ridiculous that an EU country makes it this hard to buy stuff from a country that's only a ferry boat away.

Thankyou very much!

Before I buy it, as I don't buy things online very often, is this a reputable site? I'm directing this question to anyone who reads this thread.

And to think, two chancers were trying to sell me second hand clips for 30 euro! I'm delighted with this, thanks a million!

Bought lots of stuff from them, all arrived to me in Belgium quickly. Ireland is the same as Belgium re EU, Euro and all that, never got anything stopped by customs.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Sorry to hijack a thread but I don't see the need to start a new one. I'm interested in getting an MP3 player soon as the sound quality on my phone is sh1te for some reason. I used to have a sansa fuze and LOVED it. I'd still be using it now if someone hadn't robbed it from my house in college during a party :(.

So basically is it worth digging for that original one I had somewhere? or is the upgrade decent at all? Or should I go for the clip?

I really liked the slimness and shape of the fuse and I'm afraid that its upgrade or the clip are too blocky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Need to get another mp3 player and seen the price of the zip and it looks good,is there much of a difference between the zip and clip +..I had two other clips + and found them excellent so should I stick with them or chance a zip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    Need to get another mp3 player and seen the price of the zip and it looks good,is there much of a difference between the zip and clip +..I had two other clips + and found them excellent so should I stick with them or chance a zip?

Have a zip myself & one of my mates has a clip+, both great players imo. The main differences being that the zip supports album art, a nice feature but one that not everyone would care about. The microsd card slot is also better on the zip, the card sits more flush with the player when inserted. The only downside of the zip at present is that Rockbox firmware isn't completely stable for it yet whereas the clip+ is apparently fine. If you're not bothered by that the zip is definitely a nice upgrade, albeit not a revolutionary one given that the clip+ is pretty decent already.

I have a clip+ which I'm very happy with but i think i'm gonna pick up a zip over xmas as the clip+ isn't getting the same kind of battery it used to. How unstable is Rockbox at the moment? I was using rockbox on the clip+ while it was in unstable status but it was absolutely rock solid and has only gotten better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

I have a clip+ which I'm very happy with but i think i'm gonna pick up a zip over xmas as the clip+ isn't getting the same kind of battery it used to. How unstable is Rockbox at the moment? I was using rockbox on the clip+ while it was in unstable status but it was absolutely rock solid and has only gotten better.

I've a clip zip that's rockboxed - I think unstable for Rockbox purposes means that certain features are not fully supported as yet, not that it crashes/freezes.

Mine works great, zero complaints.

It's only unstable as the previous poster says some of the features aren't implemented i.e. a manual with screenshots ans some of the plugins aren't 100% finished and usb can be iffy from rockbox but you can boot into the sansa firmware for that or find an older firmware with decent usb but for everyday music it won't let you down.

So if customs intercept it, what then?

So if customs intercept it, what then?

Has anyone any experience of this?

Has anyone any experience of this?

If its value is over the gift threshold you'll be charged tax and an admin fee, there's a thread about that stuff in the online buying and auctions forum so check that out to learn what the limits are.

The customs thing is all accademic now as Pixmania are now selling them for very reasonable prices. From 39 euro including VAT. They were crazy money just a few weeks ago.

FYI, for anyone looking to get one of these as a gift or for themselves, it is coming up in the next few hours on the amazon deals.
    "Deal starts at 7:29 PM"
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002NX0ME6/ref=gb1h_img_c-1_0267_ACW2ITY7YL4ZE?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0S9RZ60333332R0EN6ZP&pf_rd_i=350613011&pf_rd_p=344320267

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

i've had the 4GB clip+ for over a year...superb sound quality and battery life. light as a feather...feature packed. firmware updates.....!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement