Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need perfect recipe for 2nd leg o lamb,please

Options
  • 30-12-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

As title suggests I would really love a recipe to make this meal great. I have a 2 kg leg of lamb, I dont even know how long to cook it ! Any help will be grateful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

hawkelady wrote: »
    As title suggests I would really love a recipe to make this meal great. I have a 2 kg leg of lamb, I dont even know how long to cook it ! Any help will be grateful

Sorry 2kg of lamb not 2nd as stated above
    Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

bone and butterfly it. Marinate it over night in a mix of natural yogurt and tandoori masala mix. the bbq. or else roast and end under the grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

See my post here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

What I like to do with a 2kg leg of lamb is this:

Preheat the oven to 200. Crush 3 cloves of garlic and some thyme and mash into 30g of softened butter. Using a sharp knife, make dozens of small incisions into the fat all over the leg of lamb and massage the garlic butter all over the leg, poking the butter into the incisions.

Place on a rack in a roasting tray and roast for 30 mins at 200, then reduce the heat to 180 and roast for a further 50-60 minutes at that temperature. This gives you incredibly tender and juicy lamb, cooked medium - just a little pink close to the bone. Give it another 10/15 minutes if you want it well done (but that's a mistake in my opinion!).

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

My way with lamb:

Put two long pieces of foil crossways across a roasting pan, so that you'll be able to bring them up and over the lamb and seal at the top. Pop the lamb in the middle. Surround it with sprigs of thyme, fresh mint and oregano. Cut a lemon in half, squeeze half of it over the lamb, slice the other half and drape the slices over the joint. Drizzle it with olive oil. Put a whole head of garlic in the parcel, to one side of the lamb, and make sure it's drenched in oil. Grind black pepper over everything, add a pinch of salt, and a teaspoon of powdered cinnamon. Bring the foil together and fold it over to create a seal, leaving some space around the meat.

Bake at 200 degrees for a long time - this is not a recipe for rare or medium lamb, this is a recipe for falling off the bone lamb. I find 2 or 3 hours works for the average leg joint - if it's one of those that has the half-severed top of shank attached, it's ready when you can remove the shank meat from the bone with a spoon :) One it's that well done, open the parcel and fold back the foil. Cook for a further 20 mins to crisp up the fat on top, then into a warm place to rest for about 30 mins.

You should be able to squeeze the roasted garlic out of each clove - I like to serve a little on the side of the plate, but it could be incorporated in gravy, or in with the spuds, maybe.

I do like pink lamb too - but I love this way of cooking it - it's not in the slightest bit dry, it becomes almost gelatinous. I'm actually salivating whilst typing this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

A 2kg leg of lamb for me involves anchovies, two heads of garlic (heads, not cloves) and a lot of rosemary.

Peel a few fat cloves of garlic from one head. Cut them into slivers. Stab the leg of lamb so there are quite deep holes in uniform rows throughout. Take a sliver of garlic and a sprig of rosemary and wrap an anchovy around them. Place one of these bundles in each of the rows in the lamb.

Cut the other head of garlic in half and place in the roasting tray under the lamb (which I like to cook on a rack). Chop up any remaining garlic, rosemary and anchovies and place them in the tray. Add about a half pint of hot water from the kettle, but no oil. Place in the oven.

If it's a leg with the shank cut off, don't roast the shank - make a stock with it, which you'll use for the gravy.

Continue to top up the water in the roasting tray, never letting it boil dry. Cook for about 30 mins per 500g (I don't like mine rare).

When it's done, take the lamb from the roasting tray and place on a serving dish, cover with tinfoil and allow to rest while you make the gravy.

Take the rack out of the roasting tray. Remove the full heads of garlic. Put the tray over the heat on the hob and stir to mix all the flavour into the tray. Add the lamb stock you made with the shank. Bring this to a simmer. Taste for seasoning - it probably won't need any salt thanks to the anchovies but could do with some pepper. It also benefits greatly from a heaped tablespoon of something sweet like redcurrant jelly or a sweet cranberry sauce. Thicken with flour and allow to simmer on the hob until the flour cooks out and you have a rich, thick gravy.

Another option is to cook a shoulder of lamb. A shoulder on the bone is a fattier cut than the leg, but it responds magnificiently to a slow cook. With a shoulder I score it with a knife through the fat in parallel lines just over a centimetre apart across the entire joint. Then I rub good sea salt flakes and fresh cracked pepper into the fat across the entire joint. I may put rosemary etc. into the roasting tray for gravy, but not on the meat. Cook this one for a long time at 180 degrees. When you take it out of the oven, the fat has crisped up because of the scoring and you get a marvellous 'magazine' moment where it looks so marvellous you don't even want to carve it. (Though you get over that pretty quicky :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Thank you so much for all your replies, can't wait for tomorrow now , oh and happy new year to you all. My mouth is watering with the comments, you guys should write cook books or something!!

Advertisement