Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone know anywhere in city to buy chinese lanterns?

Options
  • 30-12-2011 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a handful of these to buy to send off after new years tomorrow, have looked endlessly online to only really find one lead being dublinbazar which closed down, they recommended other places but nowhere seems to have them/be able to deliver tomorrow(I'm in city centre without a car)
    Can anyone help

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Try garden centers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I've seen them in the Science shop thats affiliated with Trinity college. Beside their gym on Pearse St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

China son.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Phibsboro. Opposite the 24hr spar. Nick Nack shop. Also, up from that (same side) toward blanch about 100m, another shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

China son.

Hardly in the city centre- son.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Asian cheapo electronics/knick knack shop on Moore St, on the left as you walk towards Parnell St. I saw them the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

The little hardware shop on Liffey St across the road from M$S has them. Three for a fiver or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Tower Records upstairs in Easons on O'Connell Street had them before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

A lot of petrol stations sell them.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

more threads about UFOs are on the way to this forum then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Ambp

Seen them in the €2 shops before, try the one on Abbey St which I usually find the best, or even the €1.50 shop in the Ilac Centre.

Blackpitts wrote: »
    It's a yearly ritual this time of year for dub and ah :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Blackpitts wrote: »

Or mysterious combustion threads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

just make them yourself their easy to put together. youtube it. there is rain forecast tonight so it might be a waste of time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

One word of warning from the Irish Times....

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1231/1224309673426.html
    The Irish Aviation Authority has warned people about the danger of releasing Chinese-style lanterns into the sky tonight. Spokesman for the authority Paddy Kennedy said the lanterns have become hugely popular in recent years but are dangerous.

“We certainly don’t want to be seen as party poopers but the release of these lanterns cause two very real dangers. The first is that they can be ingested into the engines of aircraft and some contain metal parts.

“Also it has been the case on previous occasions that these lights can be mistaken for distress signals and lead to false alarms for emergency crews,” he said.

The lanterns, which are brought up into the air by the heat from candles inside, can reach heights of up to 1,000ft. However Mr Kennedy warned that unless people have sought permission to release the lanterns from the authority, it is illegal to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

lxflyer wrote: »

So, is it illegal to buy them, sell them, light them or release them?...they do look well so even if tethered to something on the ground, would they be legal then or are they classed as some sort of firework?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Cicero wrote: »
    So, is it illegal to buy them, sell them, light them or release them?...they do look well so even if tethered to something on the ground, would they be legal then or are they classed as some sort of firework?

I read from that that it's illegal to release them. So having them tethered would probably be ok as long as it was at a reasonable height.

If it's illegal to sell them there's a lot of places breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

If it's illegal to sell them there's a lot of places breaking the law.

That's what I was thinking too when I posted....there were loads over Dublin on New Years....then again, there were loads of fireworks too.

And it's a civil matter so the guards aren't going to intervene unless they see someone using them maliciously ie: hot air and wasted newsprint.

• Advertisement
Advertisement