Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds or Beady Eye

Options
  • 30-12-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Thought I would set up this thread like the one there about Oasis and Blur.

I think the individual threads for the two acts are dead a long time now so this thread will be good too for any further discussion of NGHFB and Beady Eye.

I know most people here are going to say NGHFB.

Who is better? 64 votes

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
    0% 0 votes
    Beady Eye
    100% 64 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Noel without doubt. Superior album and Im enjoying bootlegs of his tour more than the boots I have of Beady Eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

it's like comparing champagne to vinegar. I haven't listened to Beady Eye since about March yet Noel's still sounds excellent and has many classics on it. Seen him in the Olympia and in NYC and he's 10/10 live, Beady Eye are a one trick pony. Noel's album outsold the Beady Eye within 3 weeks despite the Beady Eye album having nearly an 8 month headstart says it all really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Noel by a country mile, but then everyone knew that anyway. The younger brother is pushing 40 and still acting like a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

I think most people (me included) had their mines made up before either released a track, I like beady eyes stuff but I get a vibe of them trying force a certain genre whilst noels stuff just seems natural

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Great to see so much support for Noel.

I'll let everyone know in case there was any question, yes I also prefer Noel and did vote for him when I started this thread.

Having said that I do still enjoy the Beady Eye album and will be looking forward to their next album and tour.

Hope a lot of the voters here are going to the O2 show, I know I will:D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Noel and the Birds by a mile, their album is brilliant with AKA What A Life and Everybody's On The Run being particular highlights for me.

I just can't get into Beady Eye, very dated sound. That could be forgivable though if their songs were any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭HandsomeDivil

I think most people (me included) had their mines made up before either released a track, I like beady eyes stuff but I get a vibe of them trying force a certain genre whilst noels stuff just seems natural

Agree with that, a lot of Beady Eye's stuff seems to be "yeah we're men and we like drinking" etc.. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds are a lot easier on the ear.

I think both bands are a reflection of each brother's influence on Oasis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i actually think beady eyes album is a good record a solid 7 or 8 out of 10. i find parts of noels album boring and some songs need the classic liam gallagher gnarl in some of the songs but it is still a superior album to beady eyes but not by a country mile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Who voted for the Beady Eyes? Some interesting stuff (Four Letter Word, Wigwam) but not consistently as good as God.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

1 person thinks that Liam is bigger than jesus.....

• Advertisement

OT here but I'm unable to edit my post, just want to clarify I meant minds!! It must've been the dictionary on my itouch that chose mines -_-

Who voted for the Beady Eyes? Some interesting stuff (Four Letter Word, Wigwam) but not consistently as good as God.

Don't look at the poll but it seems a second person has voted for Beady Eye.

Tbf I still miss Oasis while I prefer Noel's band to Liam's.

I'm guessing that however long the band are split it will determine which of the two brothers will come closest to matching Oasis' success.

Noel admittedly won't sell 70 million records again with the High Flying Birds but I know for sure Beady Eye don't have a chance.

noel did what i expected and made a very good album, Beady eye surprised me and didnt disgrace themselves. Cant wait to hear noels new one this year

noel did what i expected and made a very good album, Beady eye surprised me and didnt disgrace themselves. Cant wait to hear noels new one this year
    Freaky Teeth sounds great, the versions of IIHAG and TDOYAM sound interesting aswell. I hope he makes use of ASGOG, it's too good a song to be a bonus itunes track considering the 18min version that was recorded at the DOYS soundcheck was epic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds' will perform new single 'If I Had A Gun…' on this week's Graham Norton Show, which will air Friday 6th January at 22:35 on BBC1 and iPlayer (UK only). Noel will also join Graham on the couch for a chat. Also set to appear on the show are Doctor Who actress Karen Gillan and actor Gerard Butler.

http://www.noelgallagher.com/#news/noel-on-uk-radio-and-tv-this-week

I still prefer Noel but I can't wait for Beady Eye's next album.

It will be really cool to hear them recording with Bonehead again:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Undoubtedly Noel of course, I hope he goes on now to have a long and prosperous solo career a la Paul Weller and not think of reforming Oasis anytime soon.

Beady Eye was better than I expected, enjoyed the album and seeing them live. But like someone else here mentioned I quickly moved on from them and haven't been back listening to the album in months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 megtyler

Noel. he has reached his songwriting maturity long ago.
    Liam is just starting out.

megtyler wrote: »
    Noel. he has reached his songwriting maturity long ago.
    Liam is just starting out.
    Liam first put a song out 12 years ago!! he's a long way from starting out.

Noel's album is fast approaching the sales figures of Standing on the Shoulder of Giants and Dig Out Your Soul in the UK charts at the moment, he's sold 3 times as many albums as Beady Eye already and going into arenas whereas Beady Eye are still and will be staying in theatres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 megtyler

yes but he was never a main songwriter. he wasn't even expected to write. this is the first time he is taking it on as a leader of the band.

don't get me wrong. I like them both. Oasis would have never been as great as they were without Liam AND Noel.

Noel, i think, will always be the better songwriter but Liam will certainly improve.

• Advertisement

Dotsey wrote: »
    Beady Eye are still and will be staying in theatres

Tbf as much as I would love to see Beady Eye playing the Olympia again, I doubt it will happen on their next tour.

They are doing Oasis songs for their next tour, I reckon that will help them to sell out arenas, especially if Liam does Noel's songs he sang lead vocals on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phurryphace

all sounds derivative of the Beatles to me

karaokeman wrote: »
    Tbf as much as I would love to see Beady Eye playing the Olympia again, I doubt it will happen on their next tour.

They are doing Oasis songs for their next tour, I reckon that will help them to sell out arenas, especially if Liam does Noel's songs he sang lead vocals on.
    I dont think Beady Eye doing an Oasis set would sell out the 14500 capacity O2 or even close to it to be honest, their limit for Ireland will only ever be theatres. Gem doing lead guitar on Supersonic, Live Forever or Champagne Supernova just doesn't have the appeal that Noel would.

Maybe if Liam sang songs that Noel sang.. that could be a niche market for him, he could start with the Importance of Being Idle.
    all sounds derivative of the Beatles to me
    Oasis never sounded like the Beatles, only tabloid and lazy music reviewers said they did.

Maybe if Liam sang songs that Noel sang.. that could be a niche market for him, he could start with the Importance of Being Idle.

Nah I would prefer Don't Look Back In Anger, maybe The Masterplan too, bit of Half The World Away too.

Liam is the better singer I don't know why he doesn't do any of Noel's sung songs. Sure Noel has done plenty of Liam's, Wonderwall, (Its Good) To Be Free, Live Forever, the list goes on.
    Oasis never sounded like the Beatles, only tabloid and lazy music reviewers said they did.

I couldn't have said it better myself:cool:

this aside I do agree with you :pac:

megtyler wrote: »
    yes but he was never a main songwriter. he wasn't even expected to write. this is the first time he is taking it on as a leader of the band.

don't get me wrong. I like them both. Oasis would have never been as great as they were without Liam AND Noel.

Noel, i think, will always be the better songwriter but Liam will certainly improve.
    Who said Liam was the leader of Beady Eye? In my opinion their three best songs were Four Letter Word, Millionaire and The Roller, the first written by Andy Bell and the latter by Gem
    Nah I would prefer Don't Look Back In Anger, maybe The Masterplan too, bit of Half The World Away too.

Liam is the better singer I don't know why he doesn't do any of Noel's sung songs. Sure Noel has done plenty of Liam's, Wonderwall, (Its Good) To Be Free, Live Forever, the list goes on.
    I was joking about Liam singing TIOBI.

For me Noel is the better singer but Liam has the better voice. Noel knows how to use his range whereas Liam's aggressive singing style sees him struggle and as tours go on he seems to be singing through his nose more often plus on the Beady Eye album there's big hints of autotune being used on Liam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

That was post-Beatles actually! :P

AND the two intros are NOT the same.

For Imagine its C, Cmaj7 and F.

To play DLBIA you would do C, G, Am, E7, F and G.

AND the two intros are NOT the same.

For Imagine its C, Cmaj7 and F.

To play DLBIA you would do C, G, Am, E7, F and G.
    ah jesus that's nitpicking at it's finest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

ah jesus that's nitpicking at it's finest!

If we're going to nitpick, it's E minor 7 ;)

Advertisement