Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds or Beady Eye

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Noel Gallagher will be presented with the Godlike Genius Award at this year's NME Awards.

As announced by Zane Lowe on his BBC Radio 1 show earlier this evening (January 23), the singer, guitar-player and frontman of Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds will pick up the gong at the ceremony on February 29 at London's O2 Academy Brixton. Of his win, Gallagher has said:

I would like to thank NME for bestowing upon me such a great accolade. I have dreamt of this moment since I was 43 years old. I accept that I am now a genius, just like God.

www.nme.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

karaokeman wrote: »
    It will be really cool to hear them recording with Bonehead again:D.

Yea, Bonehead is exactly what's missing alright :rolleyes:

Ridiculous. Liam should be trying to move away from this Oasis-lite or Oasis minus Noel image, whatever you want to call it and push his new band as a new band in it's own right. Bringing Bonehead back into the fold 13 years later is doing precisely the opposite. And what the hell is he even going to do with them, what's Bonehead bringing to the table?? Looks like a desperation move, terrible idea.

Forget The Stone Roses reunion this year, here come The Rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Noel is better by far but i still have a little respect for liam :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

nm wrote: »

Ridiculous. Liam should be trying to move away from this Oasis-lite or Oasis minus Noel image, whatever you want to call it and push his new band as a new band in it's own right. Bringing Bonehead back into the fold 13 years later is doing precisely the opposite. And what the hell is he even going to do with them, what's Bonehead bringing to the table?? Looks like a desperation move, terrible idea.

Have you ever thought that making Beady Eye a new band in its own right was never Liam's intention at all?

I mean even he has said he thinks about Oasis every single day. Add that to the fact Liam said he would be up for an Oasis reunion in 2015.

Liam is jealous of Noel's success and the fact that the vast majority of songs he became famous for singing were written by Noel. And I don't blame him, I would feel the same if all my fans knew that and preferred my main songwriter just for that reason.

Liam has said Beady Eye WILL play Oasis songs on their next tour. He is desperate because he knows they will never match the success of Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds unless they go back and revisit the Oasis days.

Sure they didn't even sell out some theatres in the UK playing only Beady Eye songs. Its kind of obvious unless they blend it with a bit of the old Oasis by means of songs and by having Bonehead record some tracks with them again.

It is true Oasis only would have existed with both Noel AND Liam but the fact remains Noel penned the main body of their career's work and they couldn't have sold out arenas and stadiums without those songs.

As much as we are all sick of hearing Wonderwall being played for the 100000000000th time that is the bottom line and why Liam can never compete with Noel.

• Advertisement

Have you ever thought that making Beady Eye a new band in its own right was never Liam's intention at all?

I mean even he has said he thinks about Oasis every single day. Add that to the fact Liam said he would be up for an Oasis reunion in 2015.

Liam is jealous of Noel's success and the fact that the vast majority of songs he became famous for singing were written by Noel. And I don't blame him, I would feel the same if all my fans knew that and preferred my main songwriter just for that reason.

Liam has said Beady Eye WILL play Oasis songs on their next tour. He is desperate because he knows they will never match the success of Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds unless they go back and revisit the Oasis days.

Sure they didn't even sell out some theatres in the UK playing only Beady Eye songs. Its kind of obvious unless they blend it with a bit of the old Oasis by means of songs and by having Bonehead record some tracks with them again.

It is true Oasis only would have existed with both Noel AND Liam but the fact remains Noel penned the main body of their career's work and they couldn't have sold out arenas and stadiums without those songs.

As much as we are all sick of hearing Wonderwall being played for the 100000000000th time that is the bottom line and why Liam can never compete with Noel.

Beady Eye will only play the Oasis songs they wrote. It will be good to hear 'Songbird' 'Turn Up The Sun' etc I might actually go see them this time around.

Temaz wrote: »
    Beady Eye will only play the Oasis songs they wrote. It will be good to hear 'Songbird' 'Turn Up The Sun' etc I might actually go see them this time around.

Well not according to this interview will Beady Eye only play the Oasis songs they wrote -> http://www.gigwise.com/news/69091/Liam-Gallagher-I-Might-Play-Oasis-Songs-With-Beady-Eye

Here is the main section of the article where Liam talks about wanting to play Noel's songs. He also hints at playing Noel's songs again because apparently he thinks Noel singing the songs Liam did lead vocals on is like Elvis' main songwriter (Mark James) singing Elvis songs himself;

Liam also insisted that he has the right to perform Oasis track despite most of them being written by brother Noel.

He added: "If I wanted to play them we'd play them, no one's stopping us from playing them, I feel they're my songs as much as Noel's, regardless of whether I wrote them."

"It's like Elvis, you'd hate the guy who wrote Elvis' songs to be singing them wouldn't you? You wouldn't know what the **** was going on. If I want to play them, I'll play them."

Point is Beady Eye went on tour without playing Oasis songs just so they could prove they had the b***s to do it. That's typical Liam Gallagher for ya:pac:

Well not according to this interview will Beady Eye only play the Oasis songs they wrote -> http://www.gigwise.com/news/69091/Liam-Gallagher-I-Might-Play-Oasis-Songs-With-Beady-Eye

Here is the main section of the article where Liam talks about wanting to play Noel's songs. He also hints at playing Noel's songs again because apparently he thinks Noel singing the songs Liam did lead vocals on is like Elvis' main songwriter (Mark James) singing Elvis songs himself;

Liam also insisted that he has the right to perform Oasis track despite most of them being written by brother Noel.

He added: "If I wanted to play them we'd play them, no one's stopping us from playing them, I feel they're my songs as much as Noel's, regardless of whether I wrote them."

"It's like Elvis, you'd hate the guy who wrote Elvis' songs to be singing them wouldn't you? You wouldn't know what the **** was going on. If I want to play them, I'll play them."

Point is Beady Eye went on tour without playing Oasis songs just so they could prove they had the b***s to do it. That's typical Liam Gallagher for ya:pac:

Id bet my life savings it will only be Oasis songs that Beady Eye members wrote will be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Id bet my life savings it will only be Oasis songs that Beady Eye members wrote will be played.
    i'd agree with that, I'd be surprised if they play Live Forever or anything like that. Turn Up the Sun and Born on a Different Cloud are probably their two highlights

As regards Bonehead, what's the point of him? Gem and Andy are by far better guitar players all Bonehead will do is belt out a few of his infamous barre chords.

NME/Uncut are releasing a magazine fully dedicated to Noel Gallagher, has his best interviews down through the years, a guide to 'Lost Tracks'. I think it's out next week in the UK so we should have it in our newsagents a few days after.

Really want a copy, would Easons hold one back for me????

• Advertisement

NME/Uncut are releasing a magazine fully dedicated to Noel Gallagher, has his best interviews down through the years, a guide to 'Lost Tracks'. I think it's out next week in the UK so we should have it in our newsagents a few days after.

Really want a copy, would Easons hold one back for me????

I'll make sure they hold one back for me.

Which Easons are you going to try?

I'll make sure they hold one back for me.

Which Easons are you going to try?

Im in Cork, we have two Easons so I should get one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

nm wrote: »

Maybe they will come out with a peach of an album like they used to when bonehead was in the band. Noel gets the credit for everything they wrote but come on , look at the two albums they both did by themselves , beady eyes one was closer to morning glory than the two.

cloptrop wrote: »
    Maybe they will come out with a peach of an album like they used to when bonehead was in the band. Noel gets the credit for everything they wrote but come on , look at the two albums they both did by themselves , beady eyes one was closer to morning glory than the two.
    Bonehead had no creative input of any kind into the music, it's like saying bring back Guigsy. Sure I've seen Liam slag off Bonehead's guitar playing and lack of songwriting ability in interviews

Noel gets the credit because he wrote everything and rightly so. The Beady Eye album might sound more like Whats the Story but that doesn't mean it's any good sure Ocean Colour Scene have released albums that sound more like it than Noel's album did. If you judge the two albums by chart success, album sales, reviews, tour success etc.. you will see that Noel is a mile ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Dotsey wrote: »
    Bonehead had no creative input of any kind into the music, it's like saying bring back Guigsy. Sure I've seen Liam slag off Bonehead's guitar playing and lack of songwriting ability in interviews

Noel gets the credit because he wrote everything and rightly so. The Beady Eye album might sound more like Whats the Story but that doesn't mean it's any good sure Ocean Colour Scene have released albums that sound more like it than Noel's album did. If you judge the two albums by chart success, album sales, reviews, tour success etc.. you will see that Noel is a mile ahead

Never judge albums on chart success , sales or reviews
    The media like Noel more , he will get better reviews
    high flying birds got more coverage he will get better sales
    Noel seems to be the brains of oasis , he will get better sales
    Liam comes off as a sap he will get worse sales.
    Justin bieber got better sales than both of them.
    Ocean colour scene were a smashing band.
    Im sure bonehead had more input than what gallaghers let on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

this aside I do agree with you :pac:

That was post-Beatles actually! :P

AND the two intros are NOT the same.

For Imagine its C, Cmaj7 and F.

To play DLBIA you would do C, G, Am, E7, F and G.

The 2 intros ARE the same. Both are C and then F on the piano, the rest of DLBIA is as you describe above in the verses. Noel plays C and F on the guitar at the start when doing it acoustic over the years too (although he changed the key towards the end of Oasis). He was quite clearly been tongue in cheek with the Imagine piano riff to open the song.

cloptrop wrote: »
    Never judge albums on chart success , sales or reviews
    The media like Noel more , he will get better reviews
    high flying birds got more coverage he will get better sales
    Noel seems to be the brains of oasis , he will get better sales
    Liam comes off as a sap he will get worse sales.
    Justin bieber got better sales than both of them.
    Ocean colour scene were a smashing band.
    Im sure bonehead had more input than what gallaghers let on.
    basically Beady Eye's album is still 1995, Gem and Andy Bell both wrote music around that time for similar sounding bands. I don't feel Liam's songwriting has really progressed it's all still fairly simplistic, his best song by far is still Born on a Different Cloud nothing he has done comes close to that
    niallo24 wrote: »
    The 2 intros ARE the same. Both are C and then F on the piano, the rest of DLBIA is as you describe above in the verses. Noel plays C and F on the guitar at the start when doing it acoustic over the years too (although he changed the key towards the end of Oasis). He was quite clearly been tongue in cheek with the Imagine piano riff to open the song.
    It's always been obvious the start of DLBIA was tongue in cheek, same with the outro to She's Electric

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

Did not see this! Havent read through all the comments, but I will, and I'll give my two cents.

BTW I voted for *drum roll*..........

Liam%20Gallagher's%20Beady%20Eye%20live%20in%20London%20at%20the%20Brixton%20Academy.jpg

Please don't hurt me ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i voted beady eye purely by the fact that they surprised me how good the album was i thought it would be a failure but the album was mint. not a bad song on the album imo. brilliant live aswell the olympia gig blew me away.

while noels debut album was also a cracker i expected more of him and the latter half of the album becomes a bit to boring for me i do usually skip tracks 7,8 and 9 as i find them very boring. still looking forward to noel live next month

beady eye just shade it cant wait for their follow up album.

Live4Ever wrote: »
    Did not see this! Havent read through all the comments, but I will, and I'll give my two cents.

BTW I voted for *drum roll*..........

Liam%20Gallagher's%20Beady%20Eye%20live%20in%20London%20at%20the%20Brixton%20Academy.jpg

Please don't hurt me ;):)

Nah its cool Live4Ever, you made some good points in the NGHFB thread. While I prefer Noel I definitely agree that Beady Eye weren't given a fair shot by the press. Real problem I think is the anticipation for Noel doing a solo project before Oasis split was too high, everyone was talking about him doing a round of solo gigs and a solo album. No one ever took note of what Liam, Gem and Andy would be doing and they did do a fair shot with that album especially with songs like Millionaire, The Morning Son, Kill For A Dream and The Beat Goes On.

I'm sort of at a crossroads about Beady Eye's future however. I do think they deserve better recognition but at the same time I don't want them to be much bigger than they are already. Main reason being I'm hoping they will still do theatres on their next tour as I missed the Olympia show. Then again I have heard of albums that got good reviews but didn't have mainstream success.

• Advertisement
Advertisement