Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit picking in oz in april/may?

Options
  • 30-12-2011 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

i too am gna head to oz alone lack of work in ireland has given me the chance to go oz for a while..i plan too arrive say in a city stay in a hostel for a couple of weks and then try get my work for my 2nd year visa done straight away so just wonderin wat city shud i go to?and could any 1 explain the requirments for da fruit pickin like how long i would have to do it?the pay? the hours and is accom provied? thanks very much in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marko10

I did cotton picking from eary april until early july in both Queensland and NSW last year.Actually really enjoyed the experience.Got paid $20 an hour and worked 11 or 12 hours a day so was able to save quite a bit for travelling afterwards.My accomodation was provided and sometimes so was my food.I worked 92 days altogether.U must do 88 days at least to get the 2nd year visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭RJ59

Marko10 wrote: »
    I did cotton picking from eary april until early july in both Queensland and NSW last year.Actually really enjoyed the experience.Got paid $20 an hour and worked 11 or 12 hours a day so was able to save quite a bit for travelling afterwards.My accomodation was provided and sometimes so was my food.I worked 92 days altogether.U must do 88 days at least to get the 2nd year visa.
    thanks for the info is it easy to get work at dat who would i apply to for it? was it in da outback u done it?iam gna do it witin the first+few+i+got+there+if+al+posiable+dat+way+i+get+dat+kinda+work++outa+the+way+get+to+a+save+a+bit+++for+wen+i+wana+go+travelin+thanks+:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod No TXT SPK pls

hussey wrote: »
    Mod No TXT SPK pls
    i spent ages writein that mesage why would you delate it? wat way does it matter the way i write i wasnt being rude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 woolie09

I was wondering about this aswell, are there particular times of the year to do your regional/fruit picking work or because of the Australian climate is there harvesting all year round?
    Also how exactly do you go about getting these jobs, do you just show up in some country town and look around or are there places where everyone goes because irish people have gone there before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

woolie09 wrote: »
    I was wondering about this aswell, are there particular times of the year to do your regional/fruit picking work or because of the Australian climate is there harvesting all year round?
    Also how exactly do you go about getting these jobs, do you just show up in some country town and look around or are there places where everyone goes because irish people have gone there before?

Good question actually, wouldn't mind knowing myself aswell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

RJ59 wrote: »
    i spent ages writein that mesage why would you delate it? wat way does it matter the way i write i wasnt being rude

So you respond to the 'No text speak' warning with more text speak?

There is a Charter: Please read before posting
    which states the rules
    5) No text speak. For the love of god no text speak. Use your keyboard. It's pretty.

I'll undelete your post, but please, no text speak

okay thanks sorry i did not no text talk was banned its just iam on the website on my mobile phone and i suppose i still tink iam texting.but hopefully some of the members that are or have been to oz can help?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Predictive text mate get on it.

In short you have to complete 88 days of rural work in the first WHV to qualify for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I've thought about this too. Is it Northern Australia in general you can only get work in the winter??

So I'm thinking Northern Territory, Queensland and the northern half of WA? I don't see very much work going on in Victoria, Tasmania etc in June-August. Of course I'd be interested in anywhere but would think my options are a bit limited at that time of the year??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

RJ59 wrote: »
    thanks for the info is it easy to get work at dat who would i apply to for it? was it in da outback u done it?iam gna do it witin the first+few+i+got+there+if+al+posiable+dat+way+i+get+dat+kinda+work++outa+the+way+get+to+a+save+a+bit+++for+wen+i+wana+go+travelin+thanks+:D

Wow this is bloody hard to read:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

It would be good if people could chip in with they're experiences of rural work alright, I could find very little info on it untill I got here.

So far i've found out that grain harvesting happens from November to January in Southern NSW & Victoria, pay rates can be around $20 an hour

The wineries take on lots of people for vintage which goes on from mid January to April/May, alot of money can be made here with all the overtime, and the wineries are all over NSW and Vic.

I had done some of the contract work beforehand (where you get paid by the bin for picking oranges/cherries etc.) and the pay was really poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

I'm considering the same RJ. We arrive in Sydney on the 8th of March, was thinking of booking into a hostel for a few weeks and looking for some rural work in that time.
    Does anyone know if there is much demand for rural workers in around the end of March or start of April?! And would we find work in NSW or would we have to head for Vic? Heard Mildura is a popular spot for farming..
    I've also heard to stay away from picking bananas and mangoes so thats helpful I suppose :P!

Hey lippy iam da same but iam going on me own wbu? Iam leaving the bright lights off offaly for sydney lol ..I heard strawberry picking starts in june ..what hostel ya gona stay in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Do people generally save much while doing the rural work or would it be a break even job?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

I don't think I'd be brave enough to go on my own haha. I'm going with my BF and one of our mates, we're leaving the bright, busy streets of Kildare :P! Haven't decided what hostel we're going to stay in yet.. Either Wake Up or Bounce I think! How about you?
    Strawberry or grape picking wouldn't be bad I'm sure! Going to look at my regional work as a good/positive thing, get to meet new people and experience a whole different lifestyle.... I don't know how long that positive attitude will stay though when I'm picking fruit for 12 hours a day :D

Well suppose not really much of a choice lol noting going back on the dole lol yea iam the same wit hostels hopefuly I will meet a few people I can tag alone wit lol are u going with much mulla? Oh stop I was working in newbridge at the new aib bank a few years ago 12 hour days and it nearly killed me lol. .yea that be grand alrite strawbery pickin be not to bad :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Intern_101

Hi everyone!
    Lots of really good info on here. Would love to know what people thought of their regional work and what times of year are best for it. I'm thinking about heading to Cairns in March/April and trying to do it there but am hearing mixed things about the weather...Some people saying that the heat at that time of year plus picking fruit for 12 hours a day would be hell. Anyone have any advice on this?
    Thanks in advance!

Advertisement