Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elara: my "paid-for" order has vanished...

Options
  • 30-12-2011 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

I noticed a 3.5-inch HDD for €2.42 on Elara.ie, and decided to buy it using credit-card through their website. I got an order number and an email showing the details of the order, and another email acknowledging that payment had been accepted by Elara (although the payment has not yet been applied to my credit-card).

So a few days later, I checked my Elara account to see the status of the order, and discovered that there was no record of that order - it's effectively vanished. Now the HDD is priced at €180.29.

Can anyone tell me what my rights are, and what I should do next?

Edit: I've noticed the following text on each of the two emails referred to above:
    PLEASE NOTE: This email is for your reference only. We have not accepted your order at this stage. Only when we confirm our acceptance of your order in writing will a contract exist between us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

If they've not hit your card, you've got no rights. That said, it's exceptionally bad form for them not to get in touch and let you know they'd cancelled your order.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Looks like the original was a pricing mistake, which they then corrected. But it was poor form on their part not to get in touch and let you know that the original order was cancelled.

Effectively, you have no rights here. Mistakes in pricing can, and do, happen and retailers are allowed to do this when genuine mistakes occur. You might want to read up on the concept of "Invitation to Treat".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Elara ate covered here as they make it clear that their confirmations are not acceptance of the order. You didn't pay for anything until your credit card is charged.

What you should do here is nothing. You didn't pay for anything, you didn't have a contact, you chanced your arm and got nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

UDP wrote: »
    What you should do here is nothing. You didn't pay for anything, you didn't have a contact, you chanced your arm and got nowhere.

Spot on!

Although in the back of my mind I'm thinking that they should honour the deal for the price I "bought" the product for.

Also, thanks for the replies everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Hi Fatbhoy

Only just noticed this... we sent an email to you on the 28/12/2011 and another time on the 31/12/2011. I am not sure if you got the emails but it might be sitting in your junk mail?

Sorry about the error.

• Advertisement
Advertisement